• 2 months later...

I know there are ton of negative posts on here about this service, I just wanted to share my experience, and for the record I know a little about music, I was in the business for 10 years plus.  There are plenty of things they do not tell you.  I signed up on a one day facebook special which gave me 2 months for $39,98. $6 plus a record I figured why not give it a try.  And for the record I never received an Ed Sheeran record.  I joined in November.  They give you several playlists on spotify to listen to called vibes, and they will choose/curate records based off that list and your spotify listening history.  There are 7-10 of these a month, 3-4 of them are different, where they have already chosen the records for you based off that vibe and you know what titles they are.  i.e. there was an EMO one and it included Panic!, MCR, and FOB which would be great but I already own all three records.  So in November I chose a vibe called #novembrrr and they currated for me, they chosed 3 Fat Possum Label records, I received The Districts - A flourish and a spoil,  Nude Beach II, and O.V. Wright  Into Something (Can't Shake Loose).  I received them in a big pink box, with a couple of stickers and a note from the curator, comparing either The Districts or Nude Beach to The Mavericks, just don't see it or hear it.

I mention they are Fat Possum, because what I believe their buyers do / stratgey is, work with the labels for great deals, place the order based off your subscription.  I never would've chose these three records, however I like The Districts and Nude Beach. I ordered these on Nov. 10 and received them on the 18th.

December had  several vibes to choose from, I chose #tistheseason which was 3 Christmas records, this time I knew the three titles ( no curated titles ) I chose a package so to speak, it included Bright Eyes - A Christmas Season,  Various Artists Gift Wrapped - Tis the Season, and She and Him - A Very She and Him Christmas. I ordered this package on December 10, and it arrived December 30th ( after Christmas ).  I ordered my daughter a  Black Friday 2 month subscription, it was shipped in a pink box about the size of a 45 with a letter with the code and a couple of stickers. I ordered this the week of Black Friday and it arrived 2 days before CHRISTMAS, I also ordered one for my right around Christmas for his Birthday and it never arrived, it was lost i.e. never shipped according to the order.  

My biggest issue is their shipping times and customer service, it is non-existent.  You have to pick your Vibe by an assigned date, you would think they would ship them at that time, that is when they place the order from the distributor for the records, the last person I chatted with said standard shipping time is 3 weeks!  That is nuts!  You can chat with an employee on line, but it might take them 24 hours to see the message before they chat back.  They also have a member only store that has titles at a slight discount that have a free shipping when you purchase, they are discounted about $2-4 at the most off MSRP.  Overall I feel like it was a decent deal though a bad experience, I did get 5 records I will listen too.  Just thought I would fill in the gaps of their service for you all.  It isn't a surprise every month the 3 titles you will receive, it is a surprise if and when they show up though.

i think $39/month for 3 random records isn't all that bad. a lot of people on these boards give me shit about my hair and think i'm stuck in some outdated "scene" whatever the hell that means. well, i'm not. i enjoy my curated records from VNYL each month and they've help expand my musical horizons.

2 minutes ago, Fungi said:

a lot of people on these boards give me shit about my hair and think i'm stuck in some outdated "scene" whatever the hell that means. well, i'm not. i enjoy my curated records from VNYL each month and they've help expand my musical horizons.

swing and a miss.  stop trying so hard.

2 minutes ago, Fungi said:

i think $39/month for 3 random records isn't all that bad. a lot of people on these boards give me shit about my hair and think i'm stuck in some outdated "scene" whatever the hell that means. well, i'm not. i enjoy my curated records from VNYL each month and they've help expand my musical horizons.

Also available to expand your musical horizons: literally everyone on this message board. I don't mean that in a dick way. If you let us know some kinds of music you like, I'm sure you will get tons of artists worth checking out, some of whom are on awesome small record labels where you could probably still get 3 records for $39 or so.

2 hours ago, Fungi said:

can't tell if srs or troll account 

8 minutes ago, ethereal said:

can't tell if srs or troll account 

just wanted to have a little fun in the 48 page VNYL thread. i'm totally serious about my love for vinyl, notifying board members of my shipping confirmations, providing my feedback on the aesthetic quality of vinyl packaging,  and dishing out some sweet scoops on limited edition pressings.

1 hour ago, Fungi said:

just wanted to have a little fun in the 48 page VNYL thread. i'm totally serious about my love for vinyl, notifying board members of my shipping confirmations, providing my feedback on the aesthetic quality of vinyl packaging,  and dishing out some sweet scoops on limited edition pressings.

confirmed troll zzzz

1 hour ago, Fungi said:

Halo2-cover.png

19 hours ago, Fungi said:

LOL

You go ahead and spend $39 on some $3 albums. I'll spend my money on something I actually want to hear, not what some chump decides to throw in a box for me.

Here's what the "scene" is all about.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scene_(subculture)

Edited by vinyl addict

• 1 month later...

Welp, I finally got my VNYL box the other day that my friend got me for a gift. I got a Dams Of The West LP (prod Pat Carney), Violent Soho's Waco, and Jeff Rosenstock's WORRY. Kinda surprised since it seemed like most people were getting the same stuff, but of the three, I really like the Jeff Rosenstock album, and I hadn't heard of him before. That being said, I won't be keep going with VNYL, but for free it was cool!

12 minutes ago, Jettkoral said:

Welp, I finally got my VNYL box the other day that my friend got me for a gift. I got a Dams Of The West LP (prod Pat Carney), Violent Soho's Waco, and Jeff Rosenstock's WORRY. Kinda surprised since it seemed like most people were getting the same stuff, but of the three, I really like the Jeff Rosenstock album, and I hadn't heard of him before. That being said, I won't be keep going with VNYL, but for free it was cool!

That Jeff album is amazing, my #2 for last year.

• 3 months later...