• 10 months later...

I know there's a VMP thread on here, but I couldn't find a VNYL thread to post this in. Maybe this could be the thread for it? But my question is, does anyone have a VNYL invite code they might want me to use? We'd each get $10 to use in their store. If not, I'll just go ahead and sign up without a code, but I figured I'd ask just in case.

7 minutes ago, MyckelJay said:

I know there's a VMP thread on here, but I couldn't find a VNYL thread to post this in. Maybe this could be the thread for it? But my question is, does anyone have a VNYL invite code they might want me to use? We'd each get $10 to use in their store. If not, I'll just go ahead and sign up without a code, but I figured I'd ask just in case.

I thought you'd been here long enough to know that VNYL is pretttttty hated 'round these parts.

30 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I thought you'd been here long enough to know that VNYL is pretttttty hated 'round these parts.

Oh, I’m well aware. I’d be cancelling the membership as soon as I get a shipping notification. I’m just trying to get that new Emarosa VNYL Exclusive variant. Just figured if anyone did use the service and wanted the credit, it’d be nice to ask. I’m not a fan of these vinyl subscription services. 

41 minutes ago, morfiend said:

This company is still around? They must’ve done a good job hiding all the hate they got after ripping so many people off.

They seem to market towards new collectors, younger people, and college students who fit the Urban Outfitters demographic who aren't as savvy or obsessive about records yet.

31 minutes ago, swb said:

They seem to market towards new collectors, younger people, and college students who fit the Urban Outfitters demographic who aren't as savvy or obsessive about records yet.

That’s true. It seems that a lot of people who actually interact with their posts on socials are between 16-20. Subscription services like this are worthless. I wish VNYL and VMP exclusives weren’t exclusive to them. 

IMO, VMP is 1,000x better than VNYL. VMP is expensive and their marketing is very Vinyl As A Lifestyle Accessory at times but they actually put some energy and thought into their exclusives, release a decent range of genres and titles, and their customer support is nuts. They’ll replace any defective or damaged records immediately without questions and they let their customers yell at them and be insanely picky about corner dings and they gladly serve them with a smile. To me, their high prices are what keep them from being a practical recommendation for me. On the other hand, VNYL has consistently put out a poor product and service and survives mostly on the strength of their branding and tech biz savvy. If they release a well thought out exclusive here and there, it’s the exception, whereas with VMP, they release some gnarly and well-produced exclusives every single month. This concludes my ad for a service I actually don’t care too much about and only use when I get it for free or a major discount. :)

34 minutes ago, MyckelJay said:

Subscription services like this are worthless. I wish VNYL and VMP exclusives weren’t exclusive to them. 

16 minutes ago, swb said:

IMO, VMP is 1,000x better than VNYL. VMP is expensive and their marketing is very Vinyl As A Lifestyle Accessory at times but they actually put some energy and thought into their exclusives, release a decent range of genres and titles, and their customer support is nuts. They’ll replace any defective or damaged records immediately without questions and they let their customers yell at them and be insanely picky about corner dings and they gladly serve them with a smile. To me, their high prices are what keep them from being a practical recommendation for me. On the other hand, VNYL has consistently put out a poor product and service and survives mostly on the strength of their branding and tech biz savvy. If they release a well thought out exclusive here and there, it’s the exception, whereas with VMP, they release some gnarly and well-produced exclusives every single month. This concludes my ad for a service I actually don’t care too much about and only use when I get it for free or a major discount. :)

For sure what swb said. I'm not a big fan of subscription models for records, but I've done single month VMP a couple times now for Feist and once because I wanted Lil Wayne but was kind of torn, and then they offered me a free record to come back so I ended up with their Ready to Die exclusive and The Carter 3 for like $30. Solid deal.

Also, funny story. A few years back, VNYL put “Vinyl Me Please” as one of their Google ad words (and styled their paid search listing to look exactly like the VMP search result, including using the ad title “Vinyl Me Please”) to trick people searching for VMP to go to their website. Very not allowed by Google’s terms and policies but VNYL are LOLok tech asshole trolls who DGAF.

1 hour ago, swb said:

Also, funny story. A few years back, VNYL put “Vinyl Me Please” as one of their Google ad words (and styled their paid search listing to look exactly like the VMP search result, including using the ad title “Vinyl Me Please”) to trick people searching for VMP to go to their website. Very not allowed by Google’s terms and policies but VNYL are LOLok tech asshole trolls who DGAF.

It's possible they were using dynamic keyword insertion using "vinyl" as a broadmatch keyword. So if someone searched for "vinyl me please" then it would be inserted into the ad. Happens all the time. 

39 minutes ago, ntslash said:

It's possible they were using dynamic keyword insertion using "vinyl" as a broadmatch keyword. So if someone searched for "vinyl me please" then it would be inserted into the ad. Happens all the time. 

Would that setting cause your ad to mimic a competitor’s title and catch phrase/description, as well? Usually, the ads are obviously for Company B with language directed at customers searching for Compny A. This example was Company B using a very similar title and description to Company A and the only clue that they weren’t Company A was the URL.

Use coupon code “ijustboughtmyfirstrecordplayerontuesdayobviouslyitsacrosleyduhdoesntreallymatteranywaybecauseidontlistentomyrecordcollectionijustphotographitforinstagramandhangthesleevesonmywall” for 10% off your first order.

Edited by unknown pleasures

40 minutes ago, swb said:

Would that setting cause your ad to mimic a competitor’s title and catch phrase/description, as well? Usually, the ads are obviously for Company B with language directed at customers searching for Compny A. This example was Company B using a very similar title and description to Company A and the only clue that they weren’t Company A was the URL.

That definitely wouldn't happen if it was just a dynamic keyword insertion case. Sounds like a pretty blatant violation of Google's policies. How long did they get away with it? 

12 minutes ago, ntslash said:

That definitely wouldn't happen if it was just a dynamic keyword insertion case. Sounds like a pretty blatant violation of Google's policies. How long did they get away with it? 

Not sure, to be honest. It’s always possible it was a coincidental thing, if Google does auto-generate ads, but I remember it seemed more egregious than that. The screenshot was posted in the VMP forums a while ago and a VMP staff member said they’d noted it but didn’t elaborate further. 

Didn't expect this thread to get as many responses as it did while I was at work haha. That's nice that VMP does right by their customers and shitty that VNYL copies ads. But ya boi just tryna to get an exclusive variant and figured if I have to sign up fo ran unwanted subscription, I might as well try to get a bonus out of it. Ya dig? I'm really not a fan of this whole "curating" crap.