9 minutes ago, natenomm said:

Anything curated based off of my Spotify history would be a nightmare. I listen to some straight up garbage music. 

Mine would be all super up-to-the-minute top 40 from the times when I've been bullied into DJing a wedding and I have to quickly learn what the kids are listening to.

9 minutes ago, jhulud said:

That's one of them. The other is the dark-haired girl who pulls out the Griswolds, ADTR (I guess they have plenty to go around), and some other shit and on one comments how she will put up the insert on her wall like a poster. And can't stop gasping OMG!

Haven't seen that one.  But it sounds about right.  If you go down their Facebook page they have them all and it's a bunch of the same people in every video.  Most of them seem to have the Go Folk Yourself that seems to be The Lumineers, Mumford & Sons and Bon Iver.  

Damn, I hate this. I don't know why I watched this. It's like a car wreck. These videos have to be staged.

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Maybe it's just me, but if you love the album so fucking much, why are you waiting for someone to guess what you're into and not just buying it your own damn self.

Also, I second this. It's absurd.

I have never understood this service.  I have a hard enough time getting around to listenening to albums reccommened by people with opinions I trust, why would I want to be spoon fed music from a company that defines folk as 3 of the biggest names in modern music?  

They're literally just sending you 3 Top 40 albums disguised as this genre or that.  

Edited by parkinglot

The only way I can think about this service is from the perspective of a person who really knows nothing about music and wants to get into it. In the same way that, say I wanted to get into comics and had no clue where to start. Send me some new comics based on my vibe #gohulkyourself. Then, at that point I still would have no clue what I'm getting and everything would be new to me. But to be a comic aficionado and sign up for a service like that would make zero sense. The fact that these people are in tears over a record they got is what really throws a wrench into all of this for me. 

Yeah.  VNYL would be fun if you're a kid or you don't know much about music or records and you and your friends all do it and check in with each other to see what you get.  It's like a sampler to a bigger world for curious people.  What makes it seriously annoying is that it was born from a soulless tech startup trend generator machine with no taste or passion or vision other than "let's make the website look cool and post pictures of young people having fun".  When called out or when they couldn't deliver what they promised, they just amped up the slickness and shine and moved away from serious music collectors to buying advertorials in web magazines and marketing to high school and college kids on Facebook.  Don't fix your model or become a better company...just move on to a demo that is less knowledgable and discerning.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

The only way I can think about this service is from the perspective of a person who really knows nothing about music and wants to get into it. In the same way that, say I wanted to get into comics and had no clue where to start. Send me some new comics based on my vibe #gohulkyourself. Then, at that point I still would have no clue what I'm getting and everything would be new to me. But to be a comic aficionado and sign up for a service like that would make zero sense. The fact that these people are in tears over a record they got is what really throws a wrench into all of this for me. 

They have this, I see it advertised on FB occasionally. They send you a text with a graphic novel, you respond, they charge and ship.

What I really really want to know is why when I haven't clicked on any links or videos or adverts or anything whatsoever about this particular bilge ridden marketing machine from when it started apart from the odd read of this very thread I still get bloody adverts from them on Facebook and google?

As someone said that Nick Alt is a marketing genius. And I told Facebook it was offensive to me which stopped it but I bet not for long.

6 minutes ago, allenh said:

What I really really want to know is why when I haven't clicked on any links or videos or adverts or anything whatsoever about this particular bilge ridden marketing machine from when it started apart from the odd read of this very thread I still get bloody adverts from them on Facebook and google?

As someone said that Nick Alt is a marketing genius. And I told Facebook it was offensive to me which stopped it but I bet not for long.

This made my day: Use a Crosley you say? I'd rather shove wasps up my arse!!! Before you ask RP3>RP1

6 minutes ago, allenh said:

This made my day: Use a Crosley you say? I'd rather shove wasps up my arse!!! Before you ask RP3>RP1

• 2 months later...