To Open or Not To Open....That Is The Question

When I purchase a vinyl, I often ask myself this question, should I open it up or not? If I do open it, I leave the shrink wrap. But sometimes I just cant bring myself to do it....

What about you guys? Do you think it lessens the value? When you're buying used records do you mind that they are opened?

:)

This has been talked to death in the past on here. At least 3 threads on this already.

Having said that, always open. Don't be a pussy.

- Jeff

hahaha thanks for the advice :) I am newer at this, I will always remember your response and pass it on down the line to others that are just starting out hahah.

This has been talked to death in the past on here. At least 3 threads on this already.

Having said that, always open. Don't be a pussy.

- Jeff

hahaha thanks for the advice :) I am newer at this, I will always remember your response and pass it on down the line to others that are just starting out hahah.

Jeff's a good guy, just very anal about multiple threads. But to answer your question I alwasy open mine.

Jeff's a good guy, just very anal about multiple threads. But to answer your question I alwasy open mine.

Yeah thats my fault sorry guys!!! Thanks for your answer.

i always open smoothly.

i mean i open it by take cutter blade into one side of wrap and cut it soft and slow for see how the colour of the vinyl.

i think it's very exciting because same colour that declare by webstore or quote it one sticker doesn't mean the colour will same when you see it.

for me,that's a chram of collecting colour vinyl....

i always open smoothly.

i mean i open it by take cutter blade into one side of wrap and cut it soft and slow for see how the colour of the vinyl.

Here's a little tip my buddy taught me... rub the edge of the record against your pant leg quickly 3 or 4 times and that will have created enough friction to open the shrink wrap, but not damage the cover if you're careful. The advantage of this is you don't risk dragging that cutter blade over the vinyl (something I always feared).

BTW, from a purely collector's standpoint, its almost never good to keep the record sealed. Modern records have value because of rarity and if they're pressed on different colors, you need to prove what color it is to determine its rarity and value. If its sealed, its a crapshoot for the buyer.

The same holds true for collector's of vintage records. Most record collector's, believe it or not, tend to shy away from sealed records. The reason being, its not difficult at all to shrink wrap an open record later on down the road. Plus, as mentioned earlier, if the shrinkwrap is left on, it can damage the sleeve or even the vinyl itself. The only time a sealed record can be more valuable than its open, NM counterparts, is when the pedigree of the record can be verified 100%. Whether that means it sat in a record company's vault, or if the seller himself holds plenty of credibility, but if Joe Shmoe showed up to a record auction with a steal sealed copy of the Beatles- Yesterday and Today with the butcher cover, it most likely wouldn't fetch anymore than an unsealed copy.