Maritime (ex-Promise Ring) - Glass Floor LP, early/tour version?

Hello all! First post here so please excuse any violations of etiquette (especially with the large images).

I have a copy of Maritime's Glass Floor LP which I bought when they were on tour back in 2004. It's a weird version, as the jacket is actually from Loggins and Messina's Native Sons record, but they pasted new labels on the front and back indicating it's the Maritime record, along with hand numbering on the back (mine is 36 of 50). The contents of the record (the disc itself and the lyrics sheet insert) seem to be what was in the "official" release. See pics here:

IMG_2919.JPG

IMG_2920.JPG

IMG_2921.JPG

I believe what happened is that while the band was on tour, they had the LP ready except for the jackets, so they came up with this solution in order to sell the record on tour (I could be remembering this wrong or making it up completely... not sure!). Trying to find out if anyone else has this version of the record, if my recall of why this exists is correct, and if it truly is as rare as the number makes it out to be. Any help would be great, thanks!

Yep, I thought that might have been implied by my post but let me clarify and add more details about the show:

06/04/04

The First Unitarian Church, Philadelphia

Maritime (w/ Mike Kinsella from Owen/American Football on guitar and keyboard)

The Arcade Fire

Snailhouse

That's right... Maritime headlined over a little-known band (at the time) called The Arcade Fire! To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with TAF at the show, but I bought a copy of the "Neighborhood 1" 7" anyway. That was a smart investment at the time! Also picked up a copy of that tour/early release of Glass Floor at the show.

My favorite album of theirs is still available here

http://www.foreignleisure.com

I ordered from there and it was taking a really long time so I emailed them. No rely, so I opened a PP claim and got refunded. Even more time went by and they finally emailed me and basically said "sorry about that, we are sending you the album for free now". So... that wound up being cool.

I love love love this band and my heart fluttered a bit when I saw the name Maritime in the headline, I thought they were coming out with a new effort. I hope they do, like it's said above they seem to be more normal dudes with a part-time band more than anything else now. They are still on the Dangerbird roster, though.

I always wanted to buy We, the Vehicles from here but i just get that "it will never ship out and no one runs this" kind of vibe. anyone order recently?

Yeah it took a few weeks but the record finally got to me...Maritimes drummer has the copies and runs the site. I'm sure he's got other priorities so that's why it takes so long. You will get a copy if you order.

It's a great sounding pressing!

dammit. now that i know there's another variant of this, i'm probably going to spend the next 5 years trying to find a copy. 

i love this album. ordered a copy when i was a broke college kid and have always enjoyed the fact that i wound up with #999 /1000. 

Good luck! There's only 50 of these random covered variants. I know of 2 friends in the Philly / NJ area that have them as well. As for the other 47... who knows!

I ordered from there and it was taking a really long time so I emailed them. No rely, so I opened a PP claim and got refunded. Even more time went by and they finally emailed me and basically said "sorry about that, we are sending you the album for free now". So... that wound up being cool.

Ah man... I saw on the Foreign Leisure site that it was still available to order, but I think that's because the guy who runs the label is too lazy to update the site (hasn't been touched since 2011, sheesh!). I emailed him to see if I could get any info on this version of Glass Floor and to see if there are any other releases available to buy.

I got a response from Josh Modell (the guy who runs/ran Foreign Leisure records) this morning...

"That's a fun question, I haven't thought about those in a while. Here's what happened: When you press vinyl, you basically never get exactly the number that you order. The vinyl plant and the sleeve printer always do an overrun, in case there are problems with any of them, so you get at least as many as you wanted. With Glass Floor, the vinyl plant ran over by 50 or so, while the sleeve printer was pretty much right on the money--so we had 50-ish extra LPs but no sleeves to put them in. (Oftentimes bands will use those as promos or whatever.) So we went out and bought 50 crappy used records and screen-printed the info on over them. (It's not stickers, every copy was screen printed by me or a member of the band at the time. Jeremy from Arcade Fire was in Maritime for that very brief time, too, so you may have an Arcade Fire-related rarity...) 

So anyway, those 50 are all different from each other. The vinyl itself is from the exact same batch as the first pressing. The band took them on that tour only and sold them all right away, to however many lucky folks were interested. I'm pretty sure everybody kept one, so there are probably 35-40 out in the wild. The person's face, in case you didn't know, is Eric Axelson. We also made a batch of T-shirts with that print."

So that's pretty cool!

Maritime related, where the fuck are all the Promise Ring reissues?!

Jade Tree seems to have no interest in being a profitable record label in 2015. Could cash in on this emo revival shit big time with their '90s/early '00s catalog. I guess if that means I keep my originals rather than shelling out for $35 represses on splattered split colored vinyl I'm okay with it but my copies of Nothing Feels Good and Orange Rhyming Dictionary are well-worn!

And great news on the new record. The band doesn't know this, but "Paraphenalia" was inches away from becoming the song of a popular Milwaukee-based seasonal beer last summer... In retrospect, I'm glad I lost that battle.

FYI - there ARE copies of We The Vehicles left from the Foreign Leisure web site. When I contacted Josh from the label about the history of the Glass Floor LP, he said there is a very small number of the We The Vehicles LP in red vinyl left, so if you are interested, go ahead and order! If you do, I'd suggest maybe shooting him an email after you place the order, just to make sure ... his address is [email protected]