Advice for my Current Setup

Hi folks - I've been (mostly) lurking here for years and decided it was time to formally ask for some help with my setup. I started experiencing a hissing sound in my right channel due to my receiver and I'm wondering if it's a better idea to upgrade the receiver or simply repair it. It's not out of warrant, and HK doesn't have any repair centers nearby.

My setup is as follows:

Turntable

Pro-ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red 

Pro-ject Speedbox S

Receiver/ Preamp

Harman Kardon HK 3390 (using the built-in preamp)

Speakers

Pioneer SP-BS21 Bookshelf Speakers and a Pioneer Sub SW-8MK2

All of this audio equipment lives in a medium/small living room, so I don't see a huge reason to upgrade to a larger set of speakers. I have my TV and gaming consoles connected to the receiver as well.

An audio technician in my area said he could take a look at the receiver and replace any damaged parts for around $120. 

Considering I use the receiver as an airplay base station, pre-amp, and for all A/V needs should I repair it or spring for something else? Any recommendations? 

I'm leaning towards the Onkyo A-9050 since it also has an optical input that I can feed my TV/ Gaming systems into. Is an optical input an improvement considering I only plan on having a 2.1 system for the foreseeable future?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

what's your budget?  Based on the price of the Onkyo, I'm guessing around $350?

Those HKs (3390/3490) had some cool features but seem to have had significant reliability problems.  When I was looking at the 3490, I was turned off by all the reports of it going dead after a year or two.

For $350-400, I think you can do better than the Onkyo.

This Cambridge Audio integrated might be worth looking at

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1CA351A

As far as connectivity with your game consoles etc, I would go with HDMI into your TV and then digital out to an external dac (like the $100 Schiit Modi optical) or straight into the amp if your TV happens to have analogue outs (most do not these days)

This is exactly what I do.

That's what I've got going on as well. My TV thankfully has an analog output, so I just route all my HDMI inputs through the TV. 

I'll look into the Cambridge Audio piece, but  I wanted to minimize the components connected to the stereo which is why the Onkyo seemed so attractive. Built in DAC and phono pre-amp.

Not opposed to springing for a standalone pre-amp and DAC. Thanks for the input fellas. Looks like I'll be canceling the repair on my HK and getting a new amp.

If your TV does analog out, then you technically don't even need a DAC, it's already being done by your TV.

only other thing I would add (FOR NOW) is that DAC technology changes much faster than pre-preamp/amplifer tech.  You may find that the throw in DAC in the Onkyo isn't any better than the one in your TV.

I think that's the reason that many manufacturers steer away from including DACs in their integrated amplifiers.  There are enough reviews out there for otherwise capable components complaining about outdated DACs to prove that out.

Maybe I should clarify - my TV has a headphone output that I've been running to my HK. The only other option for sound output is an optical out. Its a reasonably good TV and it has four HDMI inputs, so I can hook up anything without having to swap HDMI cables. Because it only has a "headphone" output, I figured the DAC in wasn't great.

I've been eyeballing the Marantz PM6005 since it has both optical inputs, a phono pre-amp, and great reviews. It's also twice the price. 

Maybe I should clarify - my TV has a headphone output that I've been running to my HK. The only other option for sound output is an optical out. Its a reasonably good TV and it has four HDMI inputs, so I can hook up anything without having to swap HDMI cables. Because it only has a "headphone" output, I figured the DAC in wasn't great.

I've been eyeballing the Marantz PM6005 since it has both optical inputs, a phono pre-amp, and great reviews. It's also twice the price. 

I use something similar to this to go from my TV to my CA Azur 351A and to be honest I'm surprised at how good it sounds...

685746-a.jpg

Ew.

So I'm guessing a 3.5 -> RCA splitter is a bad call? I was not able to find any good information on the DAC included in my samsung TV, even after contacting customer service. I will do a side by side listening test to see if I notice any improvements from the optical out -> DAC -> amp vs. the 3.5 -> RCA splitter -> amp.