Record Store Day 2015 (4/18/15)

I already see a few things I would like to get, but nothing super exciting. Really interested in seeing what the record labels will be releasing to order online. I did all of my RSD shopping online last year, and it was much more enjoyable than fighting the crowd.

Would you mind sharing what sites did you use? I didn't have much luck with the local store on RSD last year, and black friday this year I found a few things I was after online but only once the stores closed and leftovers were posted.

Would you mind sharing what sites did you use? I didn't have much luck with the local store on RSD last year, and black friday this year I found a few things I was after online but only once the stores closed and leftovers were posted.

I ordered the Cake boxset through the Cake webstore and the Mae: Destination Beautiful through Spartan Records. I didn't order anything online that was sold exclusively in stores. You have to keep track of what record labels are releasing stuff for RSD, much like Run For Cover Records is doing. Just keep up with the boards from now until RSD, and you shouldn't have any problems locating stuff. 

It's laughable that RSD titles are available on line at all....RSD was created entirely in attempt to get people shopping in Brick and Morter stores again....hell, it's in the name. I understand that the music industry as a whole has been on the decline for decades now...but so many major labels literally pressing thousands of copies of anything they think might sell, regardless of the quality of the pressing or the jackets is getting fucking absurd. From my job's perspective every single week we get shipments of vinyl in and more often than not its the band/artists manager sending us the vinyl...which they don't listen to the format and have no idea how fragile it is....how does that tie in?

Essentially Record Store Day started for vinyl enthusiasts/nerds and music lovers. It caused a fairly huge jump in vinyl sales. Major labels and people in the industry that don't legitimately care about the format nor do they understand things about it (proper packaging of the LPs and how to ship them) attempt to cash in on what's hot without an understanding....and so on the consumer end you/we get flooded with shitty releases like fucking Aerosmith represses by the metric ass-ton, which nobody wanted nor will buy at the absurd price-point they're listed at as well as managers for artists cutting out a warehouse manager/shipping expert and just tossing 200 LPs in a single-wall box with no padding to try and sell....all of which show up damaged and unsellable. This whole ball got rolling to get people into brick and mortars and now these releases that were initially specific to record stores are being sold online which is the exact reason the entire Record Store Day was created to counter online sales....

In the eternal words of Kanye West "I mean, this shit is, fucking ridiculous"

It's laughable that RSD titles are available on line at all....RSD was created entirely in attempt to get people shopping in Brick and Morter stores again....hell, it's in the name. I understand that the music industry as a whole has been on the decline for decades now...but so many major labels literally pressing thousands of copies of anything they think might sell, regardless of the quality of the pressing or the jackets is getting fucking absurd. From my job's perspective every single week we get shipments of vinyl in and more often than not its the band/artists manager sending us the vinyl...which they don't listen to the format and have no idea how fragile it is....how does that tie in?

Essentially Record Store Day started for vinyl enthusiasts/nerds and music lovers. It caused a fairly huge jump in vinyl sales. Major labels and people in the industry that don't legitimately care about the format nor do they understand things about it (proper packaging of the LPs and how to ship them) attempt to cash in on what's hot without an understanding....and so on the consumer end you/we get flooded with shitty releases like fucking Aerosmith represses by the metric ass-ton, which nobody wanted nor will buy at the absurd price-point they're listed at as well as managers for artists cutting out a warehouse manager/shipping expert and just tossing 200 LPs in a single-wall box with no padding to try and sell....all of which show up damaged and unsellable. This whole ball got rolling to get people into brick and mortars and now these releases that were initially specific to record stores are being sold online which is the exact reason the entire Record Store Day was created to counter online sales....

In the eternal words of Kanye West "I mean, this shit is, fucking ridiculous"

This times 1000.

I knew the labels didn't really care about Record Store Day or the stores, when the Flaming Lips Heady Nuggs box came out and you had nearly 7000 made for stores and then they go behind the stores backs and make a more limited colored version (1000 copies no less) and sell it only online.

Direct 2 Consumer options will always be there and conducted by the major labels, what they need to do is start being transparent when the folks behind RSD make their list, because when I see a title that is supposedly limited to 1500 copies and then 250 are made available on the band's website, then there is really only 1250 copies available to over 800+ brick and mortar stores to try and be allocated....so the consumer get screwed in the end.

no... who wants an album on 6 7"? I certainly do not.

The xx tried pulling that shit a few years back on 11 goddamn 7"s, not even with demos or unreleased singles or anything on the Bsides, just the same etching of an X on all the records...

What about 46 x 7 inch? 

http://www.discogs.com/Rancid-The-Essentials-20th-Anniversary-Edition/release/4364742 

My fingers hurt thinking about all the flipping of records...

The soundtrack hype is hilarious.  Never understood it.  I like the songs in a movie because of how well they are placed within.  If I want a mix I will make it.  I think it's the top contender for dollar bins in the future alongside Grease, The Big Chill, and Animal House.  

I know of at least one title that we're distributing that I'm stoked on....holding out hope that it doesn't end up sucking really badly....first new material from a band in 17 years definitely has potential to suck (looking at you Pixies), but I really really like the artist (also loved Pixies though). Here's to hoping it doesn't suck and sells well.

I know of at least one title that we're distributing that I'm stoked on....holding out hope that it doesn't end up sucking really badly....first new material from a band in 17 years definitely has potential to suck (looking at you Pixies), but I really really like the artist (also loved Pixies though). Here's to hoping it doesn't suck and sells well.

Swervedriver.

What about 46 x 7 inch? 

http://www.discogs.com/Rancid-The-Essentials-20th-Anniversary-Edition/release/4364742 

My fingers hurt thinking about all the flipping of records...

ugh that stupid thing.... i was going to mention that because it is the epitome of a dumb release someone spent money on.

This times 1000.

I knew the labels didn't really care about Record Store Day or the stores, when the Flaming Lips Heady Nuggs box came out and you had nearly 7000 made for stores and then they go behind the stores backs and make a more limited colored version (1000 copies no less) and sell it only online.

Direct 2 Consumer options will always be there and conducted by the major labels, what they need to do is start being transparent when the folks behind RSD make their list, because when I see a title that is supposedly limited to 1500 copies and then 250 are made available on the band's website, then there is really only 1250 copies available to over 800+ brick and mortar stores to try and be allocated....so the consumer get screwed in the end.

We live in the Internet age, I hate to say it but companies know how to angle a product accordingly. Some smaller labels don't have the means to make "big" RSD releases and can only offer special albums and discounts via their online storefront. It creates a type kind of inclusion with the 'event' for them and fans of the label, even though it's the exact opposite of (take your ass to a physical) Record Store Day.

Also I don't think stores should be victimized, especially when we see them adding additional mark-ups to RSD releases as well as setting a few aside specifically for online sales. We all just have to face the fact that this shit isn't at all what it used to be and probably won't return to that anytime soon. We only have one defense: buy what you like, ignore the ridiculous shit, and hope that hobbyist go away and these inane reissues and soundtracks soon follow. It'll happen eventually.