Record Store Day 2015 (4/18/15)

I've camped out for sneakers before so I guess camping out for records wouldn't be much different other than the crowd. Fortunately there is a Bullmoose directly across the street from a Newbury Comics where I live and they have way better prices, especially for RSD items. As of right now I only want GWAR, ETID, Polaris & RTJ so even if I'm 25th in line I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get my hands on these.

I wonder if there will be someone that buys Deja just to snap it in front of everyone...kind of like how people would act during new system launches but a bit cheaper to fund. 

God dammit, I thought I was gonna be in the clear, but Oneohtrix Point Never is doing Commissions II, Venetian Snares is (apparently) reissuing Rossz Csillag Alatt Szuletett, and I'd love to have that Goldfrapp album and possibly the ETID 7" if I see it, so it looks like I'm gonna go ahead and get in line again this year. At least most of the things I want aren't "big ticket items," or at least I don't think they are.

The good thing about my local store is that the line is never really that bad; I got to the shop at about 8:30 last year (opens at 10:00) and was ninth or tenth in line, and I got everything I wanted in one trip. Also, the folks who go for RSD here are usually pretty civil about it, which makes for a much more pleasant experience.

I wish I could talk the dudes at Landlocked into holding my things behind the counter for me, but they have a weird attitude towards RSD. It's understandable, but last RSD was their highest sales day ever. You think they'd respect that and make sure people wanna return for it.

Why would people return to a store that holds stuff for other people behind the counter ...

I wish I could talk the dudes at Landlocked into holding my things behind the counter for me, but they have a weird attitude towards RSD. It's understandable, but last RSD was their highest sales day ever. You think they'd respect that and make sure people wanna return for it.

I had a private talk w Jason (owner) last year, a few days after Black Friday, because he was making snide comments while people were looking around.  I simply said "as much business as we give you on these two days a year, I would rather not hear you bitch about how much you hate RSD, and then Thank everyone for their business as they walk out the door".  I told him I understood, but if he didn't want to deal with it, don't participate.  They don't even utilize mail-order in the few weeks after, to move even more product.  His partner agreed with me later.  He said they are mainly just lazy.  

They are nice guys outside of these two days a yr.  Just don't even ask them shit on those said days.  

Also, I don't believe it's right to hold stuff for people.  The purpose of the day is to get the patrons in the door.  If all stores just held product for their fav patrons, what would be the point of RSD? 

I had a private talk w Jason (owner) last year, a few days after Black Friday, because he was making snide comments while people were looking around. I simply said "as much business as we give you on these two days a year, I would rather not hear you bitch about how much you hate RSD, and then Thank everyone for their business as they walk out the door". I told him I understood, but if he didn't want to deal with it, don't participate. They don't even utilize mail-order in the few weeks after, to move even more product. His partner agreed with me later. He said they are mainly just lazy.

They are nice guys outside of these two days a yr. Just don't even ask them shit on those said days.

Also, I don't believe it's right to hold stuff for people. The purpose of the day is to get the patrons in the door. If all stores just held product for their fav patrons, what would be the point of RSD?

They also don't open earlier on RSD which bums me out. Tracks opens at like 8 am, and I buy a lot of stuff marked up a few bucks instead of waiting for Landlocked to open. It's worth the extra bucks to secure what I want, I suppose. But man, the dudes at Landlocked are always weird in my opinion. I know being unenthusiastic comes with the territory, but Jesus. Sometimes I forget they're fellow music lovers. If they actually got excited for RSD, they'd probably be able to make it much more positive for themselves.

I get that holding items is lame, but I can order almost all of this shit from Bullmoose the following Monday. I really want to support Landlocked though. I try my absolute hardest to buy there before anywhere else.

They also don't open earlier on RSD which bums me out. Tracks opens at like 8 am, and I buy a lot of stuff marked up a few bucks instead of waiting for Landlocked to open. It's worth the extra bucks to secure what I want, I suppose. But man, the dudes at Landlocked are always weird in my opinion. I know being unenthusiastic comes with the territory, but Jesus. Sometimes I forget they're fellow music lovers. If they actually got excited for RSD, they'd probably be able to make it much more positive for themselves.

I get that holding items is lame, but I can order almost all of this shit from Bullmoose the following Monday. I really want to support Landlocked though. I try my absolute hardest to buy there before anywhere else.

I very much like that they don't open early on those days!!! I am just as lazy as they are. Haha. And I would be very disappointed if I found out they were holding stuff on those days... I'm going to be out of town this RSD so I won't be there at all, but I wouldn't even ask them to hold something for me in that case. 

If anyone in the Bloomington, Indiana area is going to Tracks and Landlocked, a buddy and I usually get pretty toasted and take advantage of the free donuts at Tracks since they open at 8, then the free beer at Landlocked at 11:30. Anyone else is welcome join us.

Great, the one day I won't be shopping at Landlocked is the day they give out free beer!

As an aside, I'm going to be in Columbus OH on RSD. Been many years since I've record shopped there. Any recommendations of a store there? Not Used Kids as I am not interested in being in the middle of campus on that day. Thanks if anyone can help. 

Great, the one day I won't be shopping at Landlocked is the day they give out free beer!

As an aside, I'm going to be in Columbus OH on RSD. Been many years since I've record shopped there. Any recommendations of a store there? Not Used Kids as I am not interested in being in the middle of campus on that day. Thanks if anyone can help. 

Drive an hour and half south on I71 and go to Everybodys in Cincinnati

Drive an hour and half south on I71 and go to Everybodys in Cincinnati

I'll actually be heading from Columbus to Indy that day so that does not work for me. Haha. But thanks for the recommend! 

I might stop in Luna in Indy that afternoon but my hopes would not be high they'd have any good leftovers. My list is pretty small so I'm not sweating it. Will be ready for Bullmoose on the Monday... 

They gave out free beer last year and the year before. They can't sell it because they aren't licensed, so it's done by "donations".

I've never been, but Indy CD & Vinyl seems to have a great selection. Maybe try there if you're in nap.