Record Store Day 2015 (4/18/15)

So the Elvis record Third Man is supposedly putting out isn't on the list. Unless I totally missed it. Makes me wonder if it'll only be available AT TMR like the Lazaretto 7" from last year.

Items that are exclusive to only one store, like this one, don't make the list. If so, the list would be filled with local releases most stores could never order. For example, a Maine band named Tall Horse is releasing a single on VHS on 4/18 this year. You probably don't that cluttering up the list.

There will be a black vinyl version of the Elvis later in the year.

Dang, Bullmoose doesn't have info on Gwar or Polaris yet. Those are my two most wanted titles too. I don't want to have to go to Newbury Comics -__-. (I'm sure it'll be there eventually though)

There are a few smaller stores around me that come up on the search on RSD's site so I'll probably call them and see what they will be ordering/getting 

At least the KMD album will be reissued again. I almost bought one the other day but I'd rather a brand new copy. 

Sorry about that. We have that info up now.

So is the Merzbow split not happening? I didn't see it on the list

It's a 4/28 release.

Which is why they should at least allow the stores to pre-order based on what their customers might want. Making stores blindly order stuff before they even officially announce the list to the public is ridiculous. These are records not national security secrets.

You know, we actually get good enough details on most releases most of the time. Certainly not always, and there are always surprises, but stores that sell a good amount of new music should be able to come pretty close. Maybe not every music buyer has heard of every artist Victory and Sundazed will release, but they should know generally whether or not their customers like hardcore or obscure old rock/psych/country. 

What I noticed after going through Bull Moose's list is how much everything is being inflated?! Why is every 7" $9 and every 10" $15 now it seems. 

There actually was some push back behind the scenes against more expensive 7"s this year. A few stores give advice on the releases and I remember several people asking "why does this 7" need to be more than $10?" I think we even turned down some 7"s because they were too expensive. 

More info on the process is here, for those who are interested in how the US list was made.

I think that Metallica tape has been misquoted as well, pretty sure it's only 1,000

We were told it really is 10,000. That seems about right to me considering the historical value of the material and the $9 price. 

It's probably just being released on that day just not under the banner of RSD

Yes. See my comment above about expensive 7"s. 

Chris

Items that are exclusive to only one store, like this one, don't make the list. If so, the list would be filled with local releases most stores could never order. For example, a Maine band named Tall Horse is releasing a single on VHS on 4/18 this year. You probably don't that cluttering up the list.

There will be a black vinyl version of the Elvis later in the year.

Sorry about that. We have that info up now.

It's a 4/28 release.

You know, we actually get good enough details on most releases most of the time. Certainly not always, and there are always surprises, but stores that sell a good amount of new music should be able to come pretty close. Maybe not every music buyer has heard of every artist Victory and Sundazed will release, but they should know generally whether or not their customers like hardcore or obscure old rock/psych/country.

There actually was some push back behind the scenes against more expensive 7"s this year. A few stores give advice on the releases and I remember several people asking "why does this 7" need to be more than $10?" I think we even turned down some 7"s because they were too expensive.

More info on the process is here, for those who are interested in how the US list was made.

We were told it really is 10,000. That seems about right to me considering the historical value of the material and the $9 price.

Yes. See my comment above about expensive 7"s.

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris. Are you guys doing a video this year?

What do you guys think of the Side By Side series? I kind of like them, even if I don't like paying $10 for a 7". I think they're some of the less-gimmicky releases every year, and I'm really looking forward to the Grandmaster Flash/Stiff Little Fingers one this time.

I think they are the 2nd most gimmicky release each year :P the 1st being the mystery 7"

Some of this stuff will never sell.

What do you guys think of the Side By Side series? I kind of like them, even if I don't like paying $10 for a 7". I think they're some of the less-gimmicky releases every year, and I'm really looking forward to the Grandmaster Flash/Stiff Little Fingers one this time.

Two Hank Hills in a row. One more and we could have summoned him.

Some I like, some I don't.  I think it's more of a gimmick when the songs are already available elsewhere (like the Dino Jr. / The Cure one), much better when the cover is previously unavailable (either on vinyl or all together).

The releases I'm most interested in seem to be UK exclusive, and I'm in the US. Slowdive, Dirty Three, Siouxsie. I hope that there are some leftovers available online...

I'll have to see if I'm working that Saturday, but I'll be out the lookout for the Social Distortion, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Violent Femmes and White Stripes for myself. Decemberists for my fiancee. The Bonnie 7" is the only one that has me concerned and will be the reason I head down to 1-2-3-4 Go! in Oakland if I've got the day off (if they expect to have it).

Some I like, some I don't. I think it's more of a gimmick when the songs are already available elsewhere (like the Dino Jr. / The Cure one), much better when the cover is previously unavailable (either on vinyl or all together).

I wouldn't have bought a Lemonheads record just for the "Skulls" cover. Same with Killswitch Engage's "Holy Diver". It was a b-side for one of their shittier albums, one I definitely wouldn't want on wax. I guess it just depends on the split.

The Holy Diver split justifies its entire existence to me.

I think they are the 2nd most gimmicky release each year :P the 1st being the mystery 7"

And even the mystery 7" is a Side by Side!

And even the mystery 7" is a Side by Side!

I'm not going to lie, I think these could be really cool. Gimmicky- yes.

I bought last year's because I was curious to see what it was like.

Turned out to be Rush and somebody else. I'm okay with Rush.

It would be cool if it was always somehow related to the Ambassador. Like Foo Fighters covering Scream or Nirvanna or some shit.

Can't find this info anywhere so maybe someone here will know. 

The live Bedhead live in Chicago LP is listed as a regional release. But which region? lol Texas? Chicago? I will be out of town/traveling that weekend so I'm not putting much effort into getting any releases on the actual RSD but I do see that Bullmoose does not have that listed.. :( Any ideas where that will be for sale?

The label blog says: For Record Store Day (Saturday, April 18th), we return to the Comfort Station (2579 N Milwaukee) in the heart of Chicago’s Logan Square neighborhood for an all-day affair. The following week, we chart a course for Brooklyn to spend a 3-day weekend at Greenpoint’s Human NYC (110 Meserole Ave) April 24th-26th.

So no idea if they'll be on sale other places, but those two would be a safe bet if you have a CHI or NYC buddy. 

I'm not going to lie, I think these could be really cool. Gimmicky- yes.

I bought last year's because I was curious to see what it was like.

Turned out to be Rush and somebody else. I'm okay with Rush.

It would be cool if it was always somehow related to the Ambassador. Like Foo Fighters covering Scream or Nirvanna or some shit.

I only buy the ones with songs I like. Rush and Love was a pretty good one. And the color turned out pretty sick too.

Totally agree on the Ambassador direction for te mystery Side By Side.