Record Store Day 2015 (4/18/15)

I think half the people on this board probably have crosleys. Whether they will admit it or if it's even their main player, may be another story.

My point exactly.....that isn't isolated to this board alone. The overwhelming majority of people picking up this Elvis release will not have the ability to play it. I do not have the ability to play 78 rpm records anymore. I wish I had a nice restored Victrola to play classical (and classic country) 78's. But that dream is quite a ways off. I'm admittedly not a fan nor an admirer of Elvis Presley (and not a huge fan of Jack White) but that doesn't play into my opinion on this release. If this were a completely unreleased and newly uncovered batch of Elvis songs I'd have little issue with it. It's just a replica of Jack White's copy of this record that he bought at an auction. It's a neat piece of musical history to have back in print, I understand that, but dishing out this amount of money for this piece that won't be played by the majority of fans that purchase it seems like a really really really big cash grab to me.

My point exactly.....that isn't isolated to this board alone. The overwhelming majority of people picking up this Elvis release will not have the ability to play it. I do not have the ability to play 78 rpm records anymore. I wish I had a nice restored Victrola to play classical (and classic country) 78's. But that dream is quite a ways off. I'm admittedly not a fan nor an admirer of Elvis Presley (and not a huge fan of Jack White) but that doesn't play into my opinion on this release. If this were a completely unreleased and newly uncovered batch of Elvis songs I'd have little issue with it. It's just a replica of Jack White's copy of this record that he bought at an auction. It's a neat piece of musical history to have back in print, I understand that, but dishing out this amount of money for this piece that won't be played by the majority of fans that purchase it seems like a really really really big cash grab to me.

$20 for a replica of some of Elvis's first recordings that otherwise would've only been available for hundreds of thousands of dollars seems reasonable to me. It's a cool piece of history that a lot of people may never play. It's not a brand new record that someone is getting to put on their wall, I think this as a display piece is perfectly acceptable.

The 7" that'll be widely available and remastered will be out later this year for people that are bummed about not being able to listen to it. TMR kinda has both interested parties covered. The collectors that want a close replica in its original form, and people who want an updated, remastered, 7" to listen to.

I can. Not saying I have the want or desire too though...

The AT-LP120 plays records at 33, 45 & 78.

Its a common record player that is widely available.

Actually the AT-LP120 is consistently out of stock and on back order. We sell out of them almost immediately when we get them back in stock from Audio Technica

To the kid saying people will keep them sealed, best of luck as it's an exact replica of an old '78....brown paper sleeve only, no jacket

Agreed it's a better show piece than a copy of Deja Entendu that somebody is capable of playing but chooses to hang on their wall instead

Actually the AT-LP120 is consistently out of stock and on back order. We sell out of them almost immediately when we get them back in stock from Audio Technica

To the kid saying people will keep them sealed, best of luck as it's an exact replica of an old '78....brown paper sleeve only, no jacket

Agreed it's a better show piece than a copy of Deja Entendu that somebody is capable of playing but chooses to hang on their wall instead

Not a kid but thanks dick

It was more of a joke how people don't open records anymore regardless if they can or can't play it ,I have no idea what the packaging is like and don't really care but congrats on knowing before they hit the stores.

Not a kid but thanks dick

It was more of a joke how people don't open records anymore regardless if they can or can't play it ,I have no idea what the packaging is like and don't really care but congrats on knowing before they hit the stores.

Oh, cool

If anyone's going to RSD at Amoeba or Origami, it sounds like that Blur is going to be giving away the 7" for free if you present your receipt and say "The Magic Whip" to them. I'm really hoping I'm not asking much from you guys but if any of you LA people are free from 12:30pm at Origami or 2:00pm at Amoeba and can get one for me, I'll send a little cashmoney your way for your troubles.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good record stores in the San Diego, mostly northern San Diego area? Not just for RSD, but in general. The record stores near me aren't that great.

I would recommend Lou's Records in Encinitas, Spin Records in Carlsbad, Standards Records in Vista for more punk stuff, or the M-Theory place in Del Mar.