How to determine when an album is Out of Stock vs. Out of Print?

tvham

Random question but is there a way to determine when an album is just out of stock vs out of print? Recent example, I've been meaning to pick up Sylvan Esso for a few months and finally went about searching for it online. Sold out at Bullmoose, Amoeba, Amazon, Best Buy. I did find a copy on eBay for a slight mark up so grabbed it. 

Sorry if this question has been asked before but thanks for any input! 

assess it on a case-by-case basis. major label releases may actually be unlimited presses, so sellouts could simply be a case of being "out of stock." however, most releases these days are limited presses, so "out of press" is used widely. but represses are common, so "out of press" is also used loosely. use your best judgment. if it's popular, it'll probably be back in stock sooner or later. contacting the label directly occasionally achieves results, as some labels are polite and transparent about these kinds of things.

I guess it depends. Usually when you see something like "limited edition," I would say OOS because I usually see represses (in most cases, limited editions are represses), but if they say "NEVER TO BE PRESSED AGAIN" and they're gone, then I'd call that OOP.

I don't disagree but I see this more frequently with variants than I do with actual titles. 

Random question but is there a way to determine when an album is just out of stock vs out of print? Recent example, I've been meaning to pick up Sylvan Esso for a few months and finally went about searching for it online. Sold out at Bullmoose, Amoeba, Amazon, Best Buy. I did find a copy on eBay for a slight mark up so grabbed it. 

Sorry if this question has been asked before but thanks for any input! 

You really gotta expand your search past big stores. The Sylvan Esso LP is still available from both the label and the band's webstore.

You really gotta expand your search past big stores. The Sylvan Esso LP is still available from both the label and the band's webstore.

Actually, not long after I started this thread I thought to check the band's webstore. Will definitely be a bigger part of my search moving forward. FYI, here's what it says on their store re. the album, so I imagine it's just out of stock:

The LP is on backorder until 2/3 and will not ship until 2/9. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. Please forgive us.