software for digital recording of vinyl

I use Audacity. Just download and install LAME with it and you can save/export "sounds" to mp3 format. I think it compresses the sound quality a bit though, if that's an issue.

This, haven't used anything else since I found it.

I use it to make better quality files than MP3 though and then convert them down so I always have the high quality file to use as well as the MP3.

I would record the vinyl in what ever format audacity supports then convert later.

Personally i use a high end minidisc recorder 555es 24bit depth but lossy ATRAC.

Then transfer the minidisc to the computer in WAV format.

I use foobar player for converting WAV into FLAC but it does all formats.

That's a pretty gnarly lossy-lossless chain I'd recommend against. You're just ballooning the filesize with no increase to quality when you go from ATRAC to WAV. If you were to convert the resulting WAV to MP3 or any other lossy codec, you would experience quality loss from the original ATRAC. Many MiniDisc recorders have the ability to record straight to WAV, which would be such a better idea.

Audacity is the best free tool for the OP's question. Easiest way is to record and save your projects as WAV at 16bit 44.1kHz (CD quality).

For great lossess compression to files that are supported in players like Winamp and Foobar, export as FLAC compression level 8.

LAME is an excellent MP3 compression algorithm and there's a plugin for Audacity. Just make sure you're exporting at VBR V0 or CBR 320 to get a good quality-compression ratio.

If you wanna get in to things like cleaning up table hum, click removal, etc. I use the retail products Adobe Audition and iZotope Rx.

Anybody have any recommendations to rip from my Orbit UTurn to my iMac?
I would need a good RCA to USB interface for a MAC.

I imagine I'd use Audacity after that.

I'd like to rip some stuff I never listen to (mostly seven inches) so I can start trading out some dead weight.

Just use an RCA > stereo plug cable to go from your pre-amp's out to your Mac's line in jack. But then, if you never listen to the records, why waste your time?

That's exactly what I do that way you already have the electronics and the computer dac is the limitation not a cheap built in on the turntable or external one.

I do it using a PC with a high quality soundcard but the principle is the same

That's exactly what I do that way you already have the electronics and the computer dac is the limitation not a cheap built in on the turntable or external one.

I do it using a PC with a high quality soundcard but the principle is the same

The line in is a 1/8" and I don't use a preamp from my Uturn to my receiver... I guess I'll need a preamp then to go to the mac?

And some sort of an RCA to 1/8 cord/adapter?

Seems janky.

I feel like there should be a RCA to USB adapter that acts as a preamp, but maybe I'm being to naive...

This seemed useful, but it too is a 1/8" input... does that not diminish the quality of the signal?

The details say it "even includes a special RIAA filter that properly equalizes LPs without having to connect your turntable to a pre-amp".

I would listen to the records way more if they weren't 7" singles... it's a pain in the ass most of the time to get up and flip every other song.

A lot of stuff I'm not parting with (my Secret Chiefs 3 and Failure 7"s) but I have a ton of random Tigerbeat6 singles and other stuff I just don't see myself putting on very often, but I'd love to be able to pull it up on my iPod.

If your receiver has a phono pre-amp, then hook in to a line out from your receiver. If you don't have a line out, yes you'll need to find some other solution.

I'm guessing that if your receiver does have a phono pre-amp, it's streets ahead of whatever is in that $40 Griffin product you linked.

If your receiver has a phono pre-amp, then hook in to a line out from your receiver. If you don't have a line out, yes you'll need to find some other solution.

I'm guessing that if your receiver does have a phono pre-amp, it's streets ahead of whatever is in that $40 Griffin product you linked.

Tape out is all you need, you are effectively wiring your computer up as and using it as a tape deck.

Tape out from the receiver to line in on the computer to record your files

Line out (speaker out set to line level in the mixer) from the computer to the receiver to monitor what you've recorded.

And yes the on board phone is probably the better one to use in your case.

Tape out is all you need, you are effectively wiring your computer up as and using it as a tape deck.

Tape out from the receiver to line in on the computer to record your files

Line out (speaker out set to line level in the mixer) from the computer to the receiver to monitor what you've recorded.

And yes the on board phone is probably the better one to use in your case.

Looks like I'll be bringing the iMac to the stereo rather than bringing the turntable to the computer, which is a pain, but doable.

The receiver is a Pioneer SA-7500 so it weighs a frickin' ton.

Looks like I'll be bringing the iMac to the stereo rather than bringing the turntable to the computer, which is a pain, but doable.

The receiver is a Pioneer SA-7500 so it weighs a frickin' ton.

That's a very nice integrated amp not a receiver, different league.

It has a nice built in MM phono stage and 2 very good tape loops. Use tape 1 and REC is out and PLAY is in.

Just get some longish 3,5 jack to two phono leads and you are sorted.

Don't use your mic port, unless it doubles as a line-in. Most mic ports are mono, and low voltages so they create terrible sound quality and are easily damaged by the current from the source.

Don't use your mic port, unless it doubles as a line-in. Most mic ports are mono, and low voltages so they create terrible sound quality and are easily damaged by the current from the source.

Very good point, the settings for both the in and out sockets on your laptop should be in the mixer software