best turntable ~$1000? $1500?

I came across this in a review of the Marantz TT15. I thought it may be of interest since the topic of mat vs. no mat was discussed earlier,

"The preceding paragraphs describe what I heard using the turntable sans mat. I’ve never been a big fan of felt mats, especially is areas prone to static. However, being thorough in this review demanded that I at least try the included mat. By placing the stylus on a still record and tapping various parts of the plinth and the stand’s top plate, I was able to determine (or otherwise) the efficacy of the mat. After repeating this experiment several times, I can confidently state that the mat does have a positive effect on damping the sound of tapping. Score one for the mat, but what about actually playing a record? Using the mat necessitates raising the arm (using the supplied shim), to compensate in the change of VTA due to the mat’s thickness. It is therefore possible that I had set up the arm very slightly differently, but I did notice a

small, but worthwhile improvement when using the mat. Most notably, backgrounds were a bit blacker (i.e., the surface noise is less pronounced), and a subtle sheen or haze that was previously present was now absent (or at least much reduced).

Verdict

The Marantz TT-15S1 is closely related to the Clearaudio Emotion, so one can easily argue that it comes from a somewhat distinguished pedigree. Fortunately for potential purchasers, with sound quality that is pretty good overall (especially when the mat is used) and build quality that is also good, the TT-15S1 lives up to its pedigree. If looks and decor are important to you, the TT-15S1’s striking white acrylic finish will

be a refreshing change from the usual black. All things considered, if you’re looking for an integrated turntable at or around this price point, the Marantz TT-15S1 is well worth considering, and certainly worth an audition"

I thought it was interesting that the reviewer thought the mat improved the sound.

• 2 years later...

old thread bump, but just dropped $1100 on the marantz and am really really happy with it.  stepping up from a $350 debut carbon so some growing pains as I learn how to set it up correctly and whether I need new components, but it adds an unquantifiable "presence" to my records.

it looks better too.

5 hours ago, jlwallen said:

I just purchased a new RP3 and couldn't be happier. Purchased it from Soundstagedirect and had them upgrade the cartridge to an Ortofon 2M Bronze. The sound is absolutely stunning.

I did the same at the beginning  of the year, but with an Ortofon Blue.  Very pleased with the purchase.  Think my biggest complaint is there's no markings on the counter weight.  Not such a problem once I got it calibrated, but having some markings on the damn thing would've made it a lot easier to know just how much I was adjusting it initially.

Edited by jonrawks
sentences that make sense are a good thing

• 2 months later...

Great thread.

Currently looking to get back into vinyl thanks to the recent release of the Sgt. Pepper 50th Anniversary remix.

Currently torn between the RP3 with Ortofon Bronze or the Marantz TT-15S1 with Virtuoso cartridge (which is what originally brought me to this thread). Seems like both are winners but not sure I'd trust myself to assemble the Marantz correctly and the RP3 can be purchased with the Bronze installed.

22 hours ago, kenbefound said:

Great thread.

Currently looking to get back into vinyl thanks to the recent release of the Sgt. Pepper 50th Anniversary remix.

Currently torn between the RP3 with Ortofon Bronze or the Marantz TT-15S1 with Virtuoso cartridge (which is what originally brought me to this thread). Seems like both are winners but not sure I'd trust myself to assemble the Marantz correctly and the RP3 can be purchased with the Bronze installed.

Just a note: the Marantz table in question is the extremely easy to assemble.  Possibly the easiest on the market in its price range.  It was no more difficult than the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon I owned previously.  

Pre-installed or not, you have to check the measurements.

On 03/06/2017 at 7:44 AM, kenbefound said:

Great thread.

The Marantz is the winner there no contest, the two tables out of the box are in different classes.

The only drawback with the Marantz if you are that way inclined is that there is no real upgrade path for it, so because there is such a big upgrade choice for the Rega you can of course make an RP3 a better table than the Marantz but it will cost a lot of money and there will be little or nothing left from the original RP3 when you are finished. And if you're not keen on assembly I doubt this is the route for you.

If you are familiar with the social commentary of Only Fools and Horses then think of an upgraded RP3 as Triggers Broom.

On 04/06/2017 at 5:56 AM, Tardcore said:

Just a note: the Marantz table in question is the extremely easy to assemble.  Possibly the easiest on the market in its price range.  It was no more difficult than the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon I owned previously.  

Pre-installed or not, you have to check the measurements.

Exactly

8 hours ago, sequoia said:

I plan on buying an RP3 after learning that 2 is maybe a not so sensible middle child and 3 a very worthwhile step up from 2. I would have gone with the pre-installed Rega Carbon in the 2, but for the 3 I'm thinking of buying a Nagaoka MP-110/150/200. Would I be able to set this up correctly as a total newbie?

I am in the same exact boat as you. Have gotten so use to the P&P ease of digital that setting up a decent TT seems daunting. There are many YouTube videos that go over how to set up a TT and the more I watch my confidence increases and the easier it seems to be. Now I'm not at all worried about set up and just concentrating on getting the best TT/Cart/Preamp combination I can find within my budget. Besides, it is highly recommended you re-check whatever has been pre-installed for you as sh*t happens, as they say.

4 hours ago, kenbefound said:

I am in the same exact boat as you. Have gotten so use to the P&P ease of digital that setting up a decent TT seems daunting. There are many YouTube videos that go over how to set up a TT and the more I watch my confidence increases and the easier it seems to be. Now I'm not at all worried about set up and just concentrating on getting the best TT/Cart/Preamp combination I can find within my budget. Besides, it is highly recommended you re-check whatever has been pre-installed for you as sh*t happens, as they say.

Yeah, I've already looked at a few videos and I guess I just have to give it a shot if I want to jump in at the higherish end. I'm also posting to see if one of the more experienced users goes "No way" or "That combo wouldn't work / isn't a good fit" or something.