PO soon: And So I Watch You From Afar (ASIWYFA) - Heirs

3PqG96D.jpg?1

Set for release via Sargent House on May 4, Heirs is the follow-up to the band’s third album All Hail Bright Futures, released back in 2013. The album will be the first featuring material written by guitarist Niall Kennedy, who replaced founding member Tony Wright back in 2011.

The band have also announced an extensive European Tour to coincide with the album release:

28-Apr Tue UK GLASGOW King Tuts
29-Apr Wed UK MANCHESTER Gorilla
30-Apr Thu UK BRISTOL Marble Factory
1-May Fri UK LONDON Islington Assembly Hall
2-May Sat FRANCE DUNKERQUE 4Ecluses
3-May Sun LUXEMBOURG LUXEMBOURG den Atelier
4-May Mon FRANCE PARIS Fleche d’Or
6-May Wed BELGIUM BRUSSELS VK*
7-May Thu NETHERLANDS ROTTERDAM Rotown
8-May Fri NETHERLANDS EINDHOVEN Effenaar, Small Hall
9-May Sat NETHERLANDS DEVENTER Burgerweeshuis
10-May Sun FRANCE NANTES Le Ferrailleur
11-May Mon FRANCE CLERMONT FERRAND La Cooperative de Mai Club
12-May Tue SWITZERLAND ZURICH Dynamo
13-May Wed SWITZERLAND BERN Dachstock @ Reitschule
14-May Thu SWITZERLAND GENEVA Usine
15-May Fri ITALY MILAN Leoncavallo
16-May Sat ITALY ROME Venue TBC
17-May Sun ITALY MODENA La Tenda
19-May Tue SLOVENIA LJUBLJANA Kino Šiška
20-May Wed CROATIA ZAGREB Zedno Uho Festival
21-May Thu HUNGARY BUDAPEST Dürer Kert
22-May Fri AUSTRIA VIENNA Arena
23-May Sat GERMANY MUNICH Ampere
25-May Mon CZECH REPUBLIC PRAGUE NoD Teatro
26-May Tue GERMANY WIESBADEN Schlachthof
27-May Wed GERMANY LIEPZIG Täubchental
28-May Thu GERMANY BERLIN Bi Nuu
29-May Fri GERMANY HAMBURG Logo
30-May Sat GERMANY ESSEN Zeche Carl
31-May Sun GERMANY COLOGNE Underground
1-Jun Mon NETHERLANDS AMSTERDAM Bitterzoet

Don't see the vinyl up for preorder just yet. Love the album art.

Album art is weird, but not terrible. Looks like a mashup of Deja and Campfire Headphase. If they go with standard black vinyl (again), I think it'll be another huge opportunity missed. Their last album - Burk's current avatar - featured some exceptionally colorful album art... which accompanied a particularly colorful album. Kind of disappointed that it's only ever seen the black-vinyl treatment.

I understand that it is in no way detrimental to the music, but I still care. I'd buy a colored reissue of any of their albums, despite owning them already. I guess I'm that guy.

Either way, I foresee myself pre-ordering this without the need to hear a single. I'm not 100% on board with their boost of vocals and tropical vibes with the last album, but I still enjoy it a great deal. I'd love a return to their older sound, even though I'm usually a big supporter of bands evolving and expanding.

Album art is weird, but not terrible. Looks like a mashup of Deja and Campfire Headphase. If they go with standard black vinyl (again), I think it'll be another huge opportunity missed. Their last album - Burk's current avatar - featured some exceptionally colorful album art... which accompanied a particularly colorful album. Kind of disappointed that it's only ever seen the black-vinyl treatment.

Hey!

http://hellomerch.com/collections/sargent-house/products/all-hail-bright-futures

;)

Yeah, They put that up sometime last year when the black went oop. I bought the gold with that 5 lp bundle..there's some killer stuff in there including that blue translucent adebisi shank.

Second Album?  So good.  Nice score on that.

I wasn't a huge fan of AHBF compared to their older stuff. I'm excited to hear this regardless.

Yeah, I hear you.  Gangs and S/T (and even the Letters EP) smash AHBF, in my opinion.  I dig the positive vibes off that record, but I wouldn't be disappointed if they tuned down the caribbean cheeriness for this new album.  Going with the cover, I'd gladly accept something spacey and technical, with no shortage of riffs.  Like an energized God Is An Astronaut with more variety.

Yeah, I hear you.  Gangs and S/T (and even the Letters EP) smash AHBF, in my opinion.  I dig the positive vibes off that record, but I wouldn't be disappointed if they tuned down the caribbean cheeriness for this new album.  Going with the cover, I'd gladly accept something spacey and technical, with no shortage of riffs.  Like an energized God Is An Astronaut with more variety.

Well said. I got the chance to see them when they were touring Gangs, probably in my top-3 favorite live performances ever.

Well said. I got the chance to see them when they were touring Gangs, probably in my top-3 favorite live performances ever.

So awesome. Were they headlining? I caught their set sandwiched between Deafheaven and Russian Circles - which may be my favorite lineup I've ever attended - but I was really hoping they played longer. Their stage presence is stellar and I could watch Rory play the guitar for days. They rarely tour the U.S. but I have full intentions to catch them if they do a tour to support Heirs.

So awesome. Were they headlining? I caught their set sandwiched between Deafheaven and Russian Circles - which may be my favorite lineup I've ever attended - but I was really hoping they played longer. Their stage presence is stellar and I could watch Rory play the guitar for days. They rarely tour the U.S. but I have full intentions to catch them if they do a tour to support Heirs.

That's actually the tour I was referencing! What was that, summer 2012? I'm pretty sure they only played Gangs/pre-Gangs material. I sadly didn't know about Deafheaven at the time so I wasn't that engaged during their set, I'm a big fan now though. I try to never miss a Russian Circles show, although ironically I spaced out while studying last week and missed their Portland date. Not a huge deal considering how often they hit the road...

That's actually the tour I was referencing! What was that, summer 2012? I'm pretty sure they only played Gangs/pre-Gangs material. I sadly didn't know about Deafheaven at the time so I wasn't that engaged during their set, I'm a big fan now though. I try to never miss a Russian Circles show, although ironically I spaced out while studying last week and missed their Portland date. Not a huge deal considering how often they hit the road...

2012, yup.  Even as a fan of the band at the time, their live performance wasn't anything to write home about.  At least for the venue I caught them at, the sound was awful.  Despite being very familiar with every curve and swell of Roads To Judah - which is the only material they played - it was very difficult to follow.  I think the success of Sunbather afforded them some better gear... but I digress.

Assuming we saw similar sets, I think there was one song off the S/T, and the rest was Gangs.  So good.  There are a few AHBF tracks that I'd love to see played live, but for the most part I'd strongly prefer a setlist drawn from everything prior.

2012, yup.  Even as a fan of the band at the time, their live performance wasn't anything to write home about.  At least for the venue I caught them at, the sound was awful.  Despite being very familiar with every curve and swell of Roads To Judah - which is the only material they played - it was very difficult to follow.  I think the success of Sunbather afforded them some better gear... but I digress.

Assuming we saw similar sets, I think there was one song off the S/T, and the rest was Gangs.  So good.  There are a few AHBF tracks that I'd love to see played live, but for the most part I'd strongly prefer a setlist drawn from everything prior.

It makes sense you say that, because their set wasn't that memorable for me outside of George's stage presence. I actually didn't even bother listening to their stuff afterwards until Sunbather started getting hyped. Roads To Judah has been my go-to when I need a Deafheaven fix though.

That sounds about right, I think the one S/T song was Set Guitars To Kill. Their energy is limitless, here's hoping they make it stateside this year.

These guys usually are a mood thing with me. Can't always listen to them but def jam out when I do. I'll prob pick this one up later down the road unless it really blows me away. I would see them in a heartbeat as well though. They killed it on Audiotree & have been dying to see them since I watched that.

I've seen these guys live countless times, though mostly back in the early era of This is Our Machine and the self-titled album. Their shows are always fantastic and they really did so much to boost our local music scene in Northern Ireland. They put on great shows with great line-ups, as well as helping out with youth "school of rock" type groups. That era was definitely the best our local scene had seen for a long time and they were instrumental in making that happen (sorry).

Really hoping they have their album launch back here, since there aren't any Irish dates on the tour list yet.

Their self-titled album was definitely my favourite album of theirs. All Hail Bright Futures is a lot of fun, but it's not an album I find myself going to much these days. Hoping they head back down the route of their older stuff again, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it whichever way they've went with it.

Fuck.

I feel like it's a very solid blend of their blistering play-style on Gangs, with AHBF's cheeriness and vocals sprinkled in. I know it's not necessarily indicative of the record's style as a whole, but I'm very happy with it.

[edit]

Pre-orders aren't up yet, but word is that U.S. fans will be able to purchase the vinyl here.  Opaque yellow, limited to 1,000 copies.  The Euro exclusive is here on "translucent lime green", also limited to 1,000 copies.

I'm personally dying to own this on the Euro variant over opaque yellow; one of my least favorite variants of all time. I think both colorways are good choices for the art, but I'll be gunning for that lime if anyone can help a dude out.

I understand that it is in no way detrimental to the music, but I still care. I'd buy a colored reissue of any of their albums, despite owning them already. I guess I'm that guy.

Either way, I foresee myself pre-ordering this without the need to hear a single. I'm not 100% on board with their boost of vocals and tropical vibes with the last album, but I still enjoy it a great deal. I'd love a return to their older sound, even though I'm usually a big supporter of bands evolving and expanding.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I've been waiting on SH to put AHBF out on some translucent teal vinyl for a long time already. Glad to see that they went for the gold. Sadly it's not available through the Euro store. Their new album luckily is which is great for a change so I might have to pre-order that. It's still so far off though and I don't think that has lowered the prices any either? I really consider that an odd choice as it would make sense to lower the price for anyone getting in this early.