PO Now: Scott McMicken (Dr Dog) solo album "It"

DC1221

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how labels look at releasing small run LPs that are inevitably going to become flip city millionaire party auctions. Out of their control? Ignore them? Consider pressing more if a release has the second hand demand?

Well, in our case, here is the thinking (and depending on how you read it, might sound defensive, but it's not... it's something I've thought/talked about a lot in the last week or two):

1) this label was started with two releases that didn't sell out for months, and 1/3 of the first three STILL hasn't sold out. and it's not like this was a 3 second sell out. It took almost 72 hours before these were gone, and it was posted on this board (twice) within the first couple of hours of being on sale.

2) Scott approached us about doing "IT" because he liked the limited and weird handmade vibe, and because my partner in the label is Dimitri, his bandmate in Dr. Dog. He didn't necessarily want to release this album as a full length, "proper" album, mostly because it was old and had already been partially used for other things.

3) The whole "limited, never repressed, and no digital" philosphy is not because we want to deprive the world of anything, or jack up prices, it's because artists like Scott or Grandaddy (who are the next one), would NEVER release something with us if we WERENT limited and somewhat gimmicky. Their labels and managers wouldn't allow it either.

4) We feel your pain. It's not fun for us to invest $2300 in expenses plus LITERALLY 80-100 man hours of assembly and production (we have 4-5 hour packing parties that take 15-20 people to put those damn things together) to make $3000 gross. So we make a whopping $700 in profit (which (hopefully) just pays for the records that don't sell out, or the beer and snacks for the packing party.) while somebody else takes a $20 investment and makes 1000% profit on it for really zero work.

5) we don't want to be a "business" record label and take it seriously... because that involves way too many artistic compromises and money investment. "Will this band "move units"?", "How can we maximize placement?", "How much $$$ should we be dedicating to marketing/radio/digital", "How can we "maximize the buzz", etc. We just want to make fun stuff for bands that we love. I would rather work my ass off with 5 jobs (which I do) and not have to care about whether an artist will "recoup" if I want to release their record. And almost nobody buys anything I release except for the occasional release like this for a higher profile artist.

We don't intentionally limit things. It's just sort of the nature of the beast in some ways. This record was an extreme example, and I'm sure the Grandaddy one coming in a couple months will be even worse. But, next time I'll put up a thing that says "Hey, if you don't want to own this record, please don't buy it just to flip it immediately. If you do, just know, we think you are kind of a jerk for buying something that somebody else would love to own and then making them pay 10 times as much for it". That might not actually work, but at least maybe they will think about it. Also, I tracked down about 75% of the flippers on ebay and discogs (the ones I could find) for the McMicken record and removed them from my email list so they will at least not have early notice of upcoming things.

Totally. I was just curious of how it felt to see your releases get flipped- especially since you weren't releasing a Lady Gaga 7" single. Selling a solo album for the singer of Dr. Dog at a limited run, a record that probably wouldn't sell out or attract much traction outside of a small committed fan base if you did a conventional release, and STILL attracting flippers must be a bit annoying. How do non-Dr. Dog fans end up staking out a Scott McMicken solo album on a small label? Must be a bit frustrating on your end.

I think your reasoning is spot-on. I've got the Floating Action and Scott Mcmicken record, and I love them both. I feel lucky to have them. Keep up the great work!

I can't believe Floating Action "Research" is still available for purchase - that is such a killer album!

When is the anticipated release of Arm of Roger? Looking forward to that one, too!

Also, I tracked down about 75% of the flippers on ebay and discogs (the ones I could find) for the McMicken record and removed them from my email list so they will at least not have early notice of upcoming things.

You sir, are a true hero.

I love this release by the way, been spinning it the past two weeks straight. It's that good.

I can't believe Floating Action "Research" is still available for purchase - that is such a killer album!

When is the anticipated release of Arm of Roger? Looking forward to that one, too!

No lie. That's one record that people will be kicking themselves over once it's out of print. Amazing album.

Well now there's one less copy available.

I also Highly recommend Golden Boots! some tripped out alt/country/folk rock. I seriously love those guys and love every single on of their albums. I wish more people knew about them and could appreciate them. One of my favorite bands.

Edited by Dr.SteveZissou

I just bought the Floating Action LP last week!  And added myself to the mailing list.  Would love to get that Grandaddy release.

ALSO- I am trying desperately to track down a second hand copy of the Scott McMicken LP.  I saw two for sale about a week or two ago but they were listed at over $100 :mellow: .  I am offering some trade options (sold out David Bazan 7" set), in case that might work better for swinging a deal.  I made a thread here.  If you bought a copy to flip and are willing to work out a deal that is more morally aligned, hit me up!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...