PO: ROCKY VOTOLATO - HOSPITAL HANDSHAKES (No Sleep - 4/21/15)

gmoney

20 Test Pressings (Black)
100 Coke Bottle Swirl (2015 Subscription) 
600 Cloudy Clear w/ Blue Haze
800 Tri-Color (Black/White/Light Blue)

The new full length, Hospital Handshakes, is a surprisingly positive explosion of energy that examines themes of healing from trauma, overcoming depression, spiritual longing and finding true meaning in life. 

It also marks a turning point in Votolato’s career, the end result of a tumultuous transition that began after the release of his seventh album, Television of Saints, in 2012 with the songwriter second-guessing his gift and even considering retiring from music.

Following his final tour with mewithoutYou supporting the record, realizing that he hadn't written any new music in over a year, Votolato decided to take some time off the road. It was then, in the summer of 2014, that the creative floodgates finally opened and he recommitted himself to his music with a renewed passion and sense of purpose.

For his latest effort, Votolato once again teamed up with producer Chris Walla, an old friend who was going through his own transition after recently retiring from his longtime role as guitarist and producer for Death Cab for Cutie. Speaking on his own involvement, Walla says, "This collection of songs hit me really hard, and at a really good time. It's shaping up to be a visceral and tactile album; the band is incredible, and Rocky's writing is spring tight right now. This is a good one."

Collaborating with a standout cast of Seattle musicians, including his brother Cody Votolato on electric guitar (The Blood Brothers), Eric Corson on bass (The Long Winters), Andy Lum on drums (Craft Spells/My Goodness) and Casey Foubert contributing Aux instrumentation (Sufjan Stevens), the album promises to be unlike anything he has released before. At the core of Votolato’s new music is the same earnest, impassioned, seeking voice, but now with a little more perspective, the product of self-realization hard-earned from a period of darkness and doubt.

54c7c3d45f1f9.jpg

01. Boxcutter
02. The Hereafter 
03. Hospital Handshakes
04. Royal
05. White-Knuckles 
06. Rumi 
07. A New Son
08. Sawdust & Shavings
09. So Unexpected
10. This is my Work
11. The Finish Line

Nice. I always celebrate a new release from Rocky. On his last living room tour he played a song called "I Always Wanted to be a Tenenbaum". Before it started I thought, fun, a reference to a movie I like. Then you listened and it got sad. I wonder if it just didn't make the cut or was renamed to one of these. And if it is one of these, I wonder if he changed the title since it's not only a quote, but already a name of the one of songs from the movie's soundtrack.

Nice. I always celebrate a new release from Rocky. On his last living room tour he played a song called "I Always Wanted to be a Tenenbaum". Before it started I thought, fun, a reference to a movie I like. Then you listened and it got sad. I wonder if it just didn't make the cut or was renamed to one of these. And if it is one of these, I wonder if he changed the title since it's not only a quote, but already a name of the one of songs from the movie's soundtrack.

It is on the album - 'Royal'.

Lmao I'm just going to cancel my order then

That's so dumb

You're talking about a difference of $3.50. 

700x450_price_cup_coffee.jpg

It would save me a whole $2.75 so I'm whatever about it, I think with this PO it'll eat the whole shipping cost.

It almost covers shipping.  The total with shipping for this PO with the 25% off code was $14.49.  Full price with shipping would have been $17.99. 

Lmao I'm just going to cancel my order then

That's so dumb

Jesus christ how is that dumb...that isn't how sales work. What's the cutoff for how long you before you can order something and ask for a retroactive sale? 2 days? a week? a month?  It's so obvious why they wouldn't do that. No other company would either. 

Jesus christ how is that dumb...that isn't how sales work. What's the cutoff for how long you before you can order something and ask for a retroactive sale? 2 days? a week? a month? It's so obvious why they wouldn't do that. No other company would either.

It's nothing to get upset over, I just figured shooting an email asking wasn't a big deal. If I'm ever in a situation where saving $2-$5 is a huge deal for me then I sure as hell won't be spending my precious money on records.

• 1 month later...