Affordable Canadian Vinyl Thread / Amazon.ca Deals

I just placed an order with Northern Volume - I'll report back with details once my stuff arrives in Toronto. Seems good so far - I inquired about an out of stock album and the owner quickly responded with an arrival estimate and then emailed me today when it was available online. That was nice.

Order was shipped yesterday morning and just arrived - I paid the extra $2 ($9.95 total for an LP and 2 EPs) for quicker shipping and have no regrets. I expected delivery tomorrow, and today is a pleasant surprise.

Packaging was done very well, everything was packed up very plush and secure and everything survived the trip in perfect condition.

I'm very happy about having Northern Volume as an option - I can pay with Paypal, I'm close enough that I can get things normally unavailable locally within a few days, I get to avoid exchange rates, and $8-$10 shipping for multiple items is something I have no problems with. Gonna shop there again.

• 3 months later...

Just noticed one of my favourite Toronto stores, June Records has an online store. Prices are very reasonable for most LPs - and shipping is actual Canada Post, plus pickup in store option (not sure why Tiny Record Shop didn't ever do that). http://www.junerecords.com

Just noticed one of my favourite Toronto stores, June Records has an online store. Prices are very reasonable for most LPs - and shipping is actual Canada Post, plus pickup in store option (not sure why Tiny Record Shop didn't ever do that). http://www.junerecords.com

Your link keeps bouncing me to this thread.

Here's some amazon.ca deals:

Tool - Opiate $6.49 +3.49  (like new)

No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom $10.19 + 3.49 (bent corner)

Joy Division - Closer $13.56 + 3.49 (bent corner)

John Mayer - Paradise Valley $11.99 + 3.49 (bent corner)*

Danko Jones - Garage Rock $12.54 prime

Leonard Cohen - Popular Problems $12.02 prime

Wolf Parade - Expo 86 $15.00 prime (though out of stock...)

Nothing too great, but it's a start...

*eww.

I'm bored, my kid is napping, so I figure, why not more amazon.ca deals?

City and Colour - The Hurry and The Harm 2LP $11.03 + 3.49 (bent corner)

Shins - Wincing the Night Away $16.00 prime

The Saddest Landscape - Darkness Forgives $13.99 prime  (parkinglot mentioned that Topshelf LPs are often cheap on .ca - here's proof)

The Stooges - S/T $16.00 prime

Emily Haines - Knives Don't Have Your Back $19.99 prime (not cheap really, but this was OOP for a while, and Discogs prices were quickly inflating - appears to be a new press?)

Acid House Kings - Advantage Acid House Kings $9.03 prime

Moist - Glory Under Dangerous Skies $13.58 prime

• 4 weeks later...

Best tip of the day, reposting here for later:

usually check both, problem with EU though is that if you order more than a single gatefold, the ship through FedEx or some other premium services. You get charged taxes (around 5-10%) which is alright.. but they charge you a custom fee around 15$ for being taxed. You pay 17$ even though the import charges are 2$. they also use somewhat cheaper mailer than us.. or maybe its the distance that tests them more but ive gotten packages that were so damaged it was ridiculous. theyre nice and all, then send replacement but guess what? you pay the same goddamn fees on your replacement. so for 2 records, i paid an extra 24$ twice. 48$ more for a 40$ order. Not their fault at all, but be aware that it might end up being very expensive. If you order a single record, go EU, if youre going to pick anything else with it, bite the bullet and go US. 

usually check both, problem with EU though is that if you order more than a single gatefold, the ship through FedEx or some other premium services. You get charged taxes (around 5-10%) which is alright.. but they charge you a custom fee around 15$ for being taxed. You pay 17$ even though the import charges are 2$. they also use somewhat cheaper mailer than us.. or maybe its the distance that tests them more but ive gotten packages that were so damaged it was ridiculous. theyre nice and all, then send replacement but guess what? you pay the same goddamn fees on your replacement. so for 2 records, i paid an extra 24$ twice. 48$ more for a 40$ order. Not their fault at all, but be aware that it might end up being very expensive. If you order a single record, go EU, if youre going to pick anything else with it, bite the bullet and go US. 

Thanks for the heads-up.

When I ordered the one LP yesterday it said it was going to be sent out with Deutsche Post as a Grossbreif (similar to media mail up to 500g).

I tested today and with 2 LP's its still Deutsche Post but as a Maxibrief (so media mail up to 1000g). Shipping doubles to 9$EU.

If I'm not mistaken these will be handed off to Canada Post once it enters Canada.

Once I add 3 LP's, that's when it switches to Fedex. And for 30$EU at that!

I'll update you guys on the condition it gets here with Deutsche Post when I get it.

Thanks for the heads-up.

When I ordered the one LP yesterday it said it was going to be sent out with Deutsche Post as a Grossbreif (similar to media mail up to 500g).

I tested today and with 2 LP's its still Deutsche Post but as a Maxibrief (so media mail up to 1000g). Shipping doubles to 9$EU.

If I'm not mistaken these will be handed off to Canada Post once it enters Canada.

Once I add 3 LP's, that's when it switches to Fedex. And for 30$EU at that!

I'll update you guys on the condition it gets here with Deutsche Post when I get it.

i paid the small shipping fee, like 9 Eu and it ended up being sent through fedEx anyway so when you go past the first option, be ready for anything.

i paid the small shipping fee, like 9 Eu and it ended up being sent through fedEx anyway so when you go past the first option, be ready for anything.

That sucks.  :wacko:

I'm guessing they weight it after packing it and if it's over 1000g it's Fedex. So I guess it depends on the weight of the 2 LP's 

Guess I'll stick with single LP's. Would be worth it to even make multiple orders of 1 LP each.

I'm guessing they weight it after packing it and if it's over 1000g it's Fedex. So I guess it depends on the weight of the 2 LP's 

Guess I'll stick with single LP's. Would be worth it to even make multiple orders of 1 LP each.

didnt think about this but you mightve found a great way to save $$ there

This is what I do when ordering through amazon.ca from importcds as well.  1 or 2 low price lps and they use USPS/Canad Post, but any more and it flips to UPS - whose customs brokerage fees are the worst.

Posting some Amazon.ca deals here to keep away the haterzzz.

Metric - Pagans in Vegas $15.99 prime

Couer de Pirate - Roses $11.99 prime

Wintersleep - The Great Detachment $15.49 prime (dropped about a dollar recently)

City and Colour - The Hurry and the Harm 2LP $11.03 + 3.49 bent corner

Josh Ritter - Sermon on the Rocks Deluxe Blue LP $17.29 +3.49 bent corner

Third Eye Blind - Ursa Major $16.89 prime

Has anyone ever ordered vinyl from Barnes & Noble? I'm thinking of placing an order but I can't figure out what courier they use to Canada. I really don't want to be hit with brokerage from UPS/FedEx/etc.

I did a few times. No clue who they used, but I didn't get hit with any fees. I think it was just USPS...