Beginner Looking for Review on ATLP120

I'm hopefully aware of what I'll find as I've been to a lot of Motorsport in the US although my NASCAR experience is limited to Watkins Glen (twice) which I really enjoyed and Pocono which bored the pants off me.

I find that like with real music or real HiFi people real Motorsport people are quite similar regardless of background. I've had some great times at race tracks all over the world with people who understand what I say less than you do.

The purpose of the trip is to see as much of that part of the US as possible, we've seen all the way across the top from New England (where people get very confused when I say I'm from old England) to Washington State and a few of the states a little lower down.

Whoah, they recommend that Onkyo on the Uturn site? Those guys really don't want people to enjoy their records...

Stay away from that Onkyo receiver. It's bad.

After you buy the turntable, if you plan to spend less than $400 on the rest, buy active speakers. If you want to spend more than $400 on the rest, but an integrated amp and passive speakers.

That's kinda harsh. Keep in mind that this is supposed to be my first turntable, nothing too fancy or audiophile yet. 

I'm guessing the passive speakers will sound better than active speakers?

If actives are cheaper I'll get a pre amp for like $50 and the A2+. 

The truth hurts. Good turntable/cartridges aren't that expensive. Hell records aren't cheap. Don't destroy em with cheap gear.

It's like eating McDonalds. Sure, it'll feed you, but do you really want to eat shit?

I'm totally in agreement: the reason i'm avoiding crosley is because I'm trying to avoid wrecking any records. But if I'm not going to be cheap on the turntable, I am going to have to be cheaper on the speakers and pre amps, which brings me back to my original question: I'm guessing the passive speakers will sound better than active speakers?

But if I'm not going to be cheap on the turntable, I am going to have to be cheaper on the speakers and pre amps

Why is that, really? Is there a universally set amount that you will ever spend on audio equipment in your entire life? Have you just decided "x" is exactly how much I care to spend on audio and not a penny more? If so, did you base that decision on listening experience and figured that this is the exact price point where music reproduction was good enough for you?

I'm really curious, because it sounds like such a strange notion to me. With any single hobby or source of amusement in life I first try to figure out what I need to be satisfied, then base the budget around that. It's backwards to just decide on the exact budget out of thin air and then try to fit the performance I want into it.

Basically my point is:

- If you want your records to sound good, be prepared to spend the money to make them sound good. If you are prepared to spend that money, but don't have it, save up. If you can buy records in the first place, it means you have an income that you can partly spend on non-essentials. Learn how to prioritize and you'll be able to save up any needed amount.

- If you want your music to sound good, but are determined to never spend any real money on it, don't buy records. Quality digital music reproduction is cheaper. Digital music is cheaper. It's a no-brainer, really.

- If you really like buying records, but don't care at all how they sound, don't act like it's important to make the right buying decisions and just buy the first thing you see.

I cannot really imagine there being an option that doesn't fit into one of the three above.

And regarding this:

I'm guessing the passive speakers will sound better than active speakers?

Good passive speakers are good, bad passive speakers are bad. Good active speakers are good, bad active speakers are bad. There's no inherent quality to either of these that would make them strictly better than the other. It's like with everything else: shitty products are shitty, good products are good. Unfortunately many a time the price tag determines quality, and audio definitely falls under that rule more often than not.