Coin Collecting/Numismatics Thread

Couldn't find a thread on this, and figured it was high time to make one.

Does anyone else on here get into coin collecting? If so, what do you collect? Anyone with any crazy inherited collections or especially valuable pieces?

I've thought about making a records-for-coins thread, because that's certainly something I would do. Always looking to expand my collection. If anyone reading this has any coins they'd be willing to sell/trade, get at me.

At any rate, let the discussion commence!

I inherited a coin collection. The only one I've had professionally checked out (but not officially graded) is an American 1787 1 over lazy 1 Fugio coin. Depending on official grading, worth anywhere from $1,000-$5,000. I don't plan on selling it anytime soon. Apparently it was designed by Benjamin Franklin, and the reverse side of the coin says "Mind Your Business" I am REALLY stoked on owning this coin.

I inherited a coin collection. The only one I've had professionally checked out (but not officially graded) is an American 1787 1 over lazy 1 Fugio coin. Depending on official grading, worth anywhere from $1,000-$5,000. I don't plan on selling it anytime soon. Apparently it was designed by Benjamin Franklin, and the reverse side of the coin says "Mind Your Business" I am REALLY stoked on owning this coin.

That is a nice piece!

Years before my grandpa passed I inherited about 300 bucks in Bicentennial quarters (growing up every time I ever found one, I gave it to him) along with some other random not super rare, but uncommon stuff: post 1910s silvers, buffalo nickels, wheat pennies (yawn), mercury dimes, a couple of V nickles, walking liberty halves... stuff like that.
I made the mistake of showing it to a friend and it was stolen when I was 13... the court reimbursed me face value.

When I turned 18 I made the jump from bagging groceries and pushing carts to cashiering and anytime I came across anything reasonably interesting I'd put it to the side in my till and when I was replaced for my shift or to go on break I would buy it with my supervisor or replacer approving the buy.  When I started working the self serve U-Scans we had to replenish the change dispensers periodically from rolls and the coins are held horizontally in vertical slots.  It was pretty easy to tell which dimes and quarters were post-1964 and cut with copper or whatever else they used to use and which were all silver... that or they were Canadian (I grew up in Michigan).

So I was really raking it in at that point.  Even came across a few Franklin halves that people wanted to use... I felt better when they were older since odds are they didn't take it from anyone.

Another decent spot to check is the Coinstar or any other machine that counts coin.  They usually spit out in the return anything anomalous.  This includes foreign currency, non-coins (tokens and washers) and silver.  I've found a few dollars in silver dimes and quarters in the past five years or so that way... but I do look like a skeez every time I walk by and stick my hand down there to see what it is.

I keep wondering if I should sell what I have in silver on eBay or not.