Cartridge Questions

So I've recently upgraded my amp and speakers, but still have a vintage turntable with an aging Ortofon cartridge (probably 6-7 years old, and an embarrassingly high amount of hours), and I'm pretty sure the lack of clarity I'm hearing stems from the cartridge more than anything. I'm probably still a couple of months away from purchasing a new turntable - partly based on finance, looking for good used deals, and even just still not exactly sure what I want. I'm still not totally understanding everything about cartridges (when I got mine last, someone at the store installed it). So I have a couple of quick questions, if y'all don't mind. 

1. Do most cartridges work on any turntable? Are they easy enough to install (I have a JVC QL-F4 Direct Drive)?

2. At what point would a used cartridge not be worth it if I were to buy used?

3. If, in 3-4 months I buy a $500-$600 TT, is it worth buying a cartridge now for around $100-150 that could be used as an eventual replacement for whatever comes with the new turntable? Or will I likely want to go for a higher price than that?

4. Possibly the dumbest question of all: I know what the stylus is, but what is the difference between replacing the whole cartridge and replacing just the stylus?

Sorry if these are sort of dumb or possibly a bit redundant (there's definitely a bit of information on this forum or elsewhere, but I'm always happy to have feedback and opinions from you folks).

The stylus should be a replaceable part and will be cheaper than replacing the whole cartridge. Effectively this is just the needle bit at the end of the cartridge and should just be a push fit (certainly mine are as I keep a spare worn one which I swap in if I am trying to play a damaged record).

They do wear out, and will degrade over time. If you let the stylus wear too much and keep playing records with it it could start to damage your record.

Ok hopefully helpful answers

1. There are 2 or 3 basic mountings, 1/2 inch which is most carts and is all those mounted with two screws, t4p which are those that push into the end of the arm and were favoured for a while by the Japanese, and then all the rest which is basically the fitting B&O used which is sort of a miniature t4p and then the sort of push fit favoured by the modern crap of today like Crosleys that you can do nothing with.

Yours is bog standard 1/2 inch and also uses a bog standard SME type bayonet headshell fitting so if you want to try different carts in your current turntable you can buy extra headshells so that you can interchange them, although word of caution here the mounting is the same but all the other settings will probably be different so a bit of reseting would be required on weight and VTA etc. If you did swap cartridges about in this way.

2. Hard to say as you need to trust the owners assessment of how many hours it has done and it's relative value, also the money in any cart with a replaceable stylus is in the stylus not the cartridge so an expensive cart with a worn stylus is still pretty worthless unless you already have a replacement stylus.

3. your money so your choice but what I will say is your turntable is fundamentally quite good providing it's in good condition so if it is in good condition I would look to spend some money on a decent cart for it and see how it sounds before you buy another turntable because I would expect you would need to go higher than the standard entry level Project etc. to really better your JVC.

4. I think I answered this one in question 2 but one other thing to remember is that with most carts you will be looking at so MM with replaceable styli you can buy the lowest one in the range and the only difference to those above will be the stylus, the body does cart body does change with some as you go up the range so you can't upgrade all the way up with some makers but with the likes of Grado and Nagaoka you can get a fair way up the tree this way.

One last point is that not all carts have replaceable styli, high end MM and MC carts don't but you are looking at some pretty expensive and high end kit when you get into this sort of stuff.

Thanks so much Allen. I think that clarified a lot of what I was wondering about with regards to upgrading - and the fact that you said 

I will say is your turntable is fundamentally quite good providing it's in good condition so if it is in good condition I would look to spend some money on a decent cart for it and see how it sounds before you buy another turntable because I would expect you would need to go higher than the standard entry level Project etc. to really better your JVC.

makes me change my thinking a little bit. I suppose that long term I will be looking to upgrade, but if adding a decent cartridge to my current TT may make enough difference, I know I will be glad to keep this TT. It's in pretty great shape except that every now and then it starts playing at 45 when it's set to 33 (just need to change the speed to 45 then back to 33 to get it working again), but as far as performance, it is totally solid. And I am the first to admin I love that it has auto start-stop and automatic speed change. Was looking to get a TT with a built in speedbox and possibly get a Q Up for a new one if I was going to upgrade.

Hey! I thought I would join in on this because I need some cartridge advice.

I have a Dual 1019 that is in great shape, but it definitely is time to replace the cartridge. Any suggestions on a replacement? I am completely new to this. I don't want to spend an insane amount, but I definitely want a decent one.

Thanks!

I am looking for about mid range really. I can't go all out, but still want something that will treat my records well. I will definitely check out Shure options more thoroughly. 

mid-range may mean wildly different things to different people. 

are you looking for something in the $50-$100 range?

the Shure M97xe seems like the default choice.  I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to provide an actual informed opinion.

I got the same cartridge for Christmas to replace the cart that came on my Marantz 6300, and I think it sounds great.

I only have the old Ortofon Omega that was on it to compare it to, but it definitely added some much needed warmth and depth to my setup.

Also, it was pretty easy to replace if that was a concern. Swapping the carts took minutes, adjusting the arm was a little more involved, but nothing difficult if you follow the steps.

Hope that helps.

I got the same cartridge for Christmas to replace the cart that came on my Marantz 6300, and I think it sounds great.

I only have the old Ortofon Omega that was on it to compare it to, but it definitely added some much needed warmth and depth to my setup.

Also, it was pretty easy to replace if that was a concern. Swapping the carts took minutes, adjusting the arm was a little more involved, but nothing difficult if you follow the steps.

Hope that helps.

That helps a lot! I know how to replace the cartridge. I will have to look up some info on how to adjust the arm. Terrible with that, but I think with some help I will be fine. Thanks for the advice guys!

I decided to get a new cartridge for my turntable. Went for a Grado Gold1. Was waffling a little bit, but apparently (according to two different shops), because of the weak Canadian dollar, the prices that are available now are going to go up considerably some time in the next couple of months (I bought for $225 CAD plus tax, which is roughly $180 US - when the next shipments come in, one of the guys suggested the cartridge may cost closer to $280...).

Only had a few minutes to listen, and I think I'm still working on perfecting the alignment. I think I did a pretty good job considering...

But anyways, I noticed everything right away (Big Star's #1 Record). The clarity in the hi-hats, the backing vocals, the bass, everything was suddenly...there... It was kind of remarkable, the difference it made (to be fair, my old cartridge/stylus were toast).

I am still getting the tiniest bit of distortion (sibilance maybe?) at the end of records, and so I have a feeling my alignment may need to be slightly readjusted (that's probably not quite technical enough, but you know what I mean...). 

Thanks again to those who answered my original questions!

Figured I'd just use this thread since I'm looking for some cartridge advice as well. I've got a Rega Planar 3 with a new Bias 2 cartridge that has some pretty heavy surface noise. From what I can gather this seems to be pretty typical of the cartridge. Any suggestions on a replacement? And at what point is there value in picking up a better table with a better cartridge like the Marantz open box I saw a couple of you guys like ajxd found, and trying to sell my planar 3? 

My set up is below - I'm well aware I need a new amp; it's down the road until I can save up for the $1000 range. Biggest concern right now is just eliminating some of this surface noise. And before it's asked, my budget is completely flexible, I'm in no hurry and can save as long as needed, which is why I asked the value on just upgrading the table entirely. 

Rega Planar 3 table with Bias 2 cart

Yamaha A-S500 integrated amp

B&W 685 S2 bookshelfs

I think the P3 is great. Sure, it would be upgraded, but I don't think you need to. I'm also surprised about the cartridge issues. I've only heard good things. Maybe it was poorly installed? Or maybe you're just reaching the limits of the Yamaha phono line. Maybe a separate pre?

I'm selling my Ortofon Quintet Red, that I wrote about a little while ago. Read and we can discuss if you're interested.

Figured I'd just use this thread since I'm looking for some cartridge advice as well. I've got a Rega Planar 3 with a new Bias 2 cartridge that has some pretty heavy surface noise. From what I can gather this seems to be pretty typical of the cartridge. Any suggestions on a replacement? And at what point is there value in picking up a better table with a better cartridge like the Marantz open box I saw a couple of you guys like ajxd found, and trying to sell my planar 3?

My set up is below - I'm well aware I need a new amp; it's down the road until I can save up for the $1000 range. Biggest concern right now is just eliminating some of this surface noise. And before it's asked, my budget is completely flexible, I'm in no hurry and can save as long as needed, which is why I asked the value on just upgrading the table entirely.

Rega Planar 3 table with Bias 2 cart

Yamaha A-S500 integrated amp

B&W 685 S2 bookshelfs

Keep the table. I have never heard about surface noise issues with the Bias 2, but I don't follow Rega closely so take that for what it's worth.

Give us a little more background on your gear's history and explain what you mean by surface noise. There are brands of cartridges that will tend to reveal more of everything, but that usually means something is off. (Alignment, damage, arm adjustments,etc) if a cartridge just inherently played with more surface noise, no one would ever use them, right?

Thanks ajxd. The cartridge wasn't installed by me but by someone I would trust to know what they are doing, so hopefully it's not that! You may be right about the pre though. The bias is very bright from what I'm used to and sounds great, I've just noticed a lot more surface noise. So if I ended up with something like a music fidelity m3i would you still suggest a separate pre? Or do you think am I better just making an integrated amp the next upgrade?

And thanks for the reminder about your cart you have for sale. I was tempted to jump on it when you first posted it but some unexpected bills came up. I'll definitely be in touch if I go the cart route first.

Edit: and I just listed the m3i as an example ~$1k amp, I haven't even started actually shopping.

I've had it about 3 months now. I got it for pretty cheap so I can't complain all that much. Best way I can put it is the cart was a noticeable imrovement but it's probably brighter and a little bass shy from what I would prefer. And I'd probably be a bit bothered if I paid retail for it.

Edit: just looked, not 3 point.