PO Now: Giraffes? Giraffes! - Spazz Master 7"

Band is criminally underrated as far as math-rock goes.  The new tracks are interesting... but like most all of G?G!'s material, I don't think they'll officially "click" until a few more plays.  And - also like all of their other material - I can only foresee ample longevity and replay value.

Related: the band actually confirmed that Superbass and More Skin With Milk Mouth are both getting the vinyl treatment this year.  Finally.  More Skin will happen first, but there are no tentative dates yet.  Either way, I think I'm more excited for those presses than I am this new 7".  Those are two very overdue additions to my collection.

Related: the band actually confirmed that Superbass and More Skin With Milk Mouth are both getting the vinyl treatment this year.  Finally.  More Skin will happen first, but there are no tentative dates yet.  Either way, I think I'm more excited for those presses than I am this new 7".  Those are two very overdue additions to my collection.

seriously! i didnt know that. but that news is excellent. Those are still my favorite albums by them. I will go on record and say More Skin is one of my all time favorite math rock records in general. 

seriously! i didnt know that. but that news is excellent. Those are still my favorite albums by them. I will go on record and say More Skin is one of my all time favorite math rock records in general. 

More Skin was the first math-rock album that made me stop in my tracks and appreciate the genre for what it is.  A lot of math-rock groups can be a little tedious on the ears, and sacrifice song structures for technicality and an emphasis on noodly guitars or bizarre time signatures.  But the moment I heard I Am S/H(im)e[r] As You Am S/H(im)e[r] As You Are Me And We Am I And I Are All Our Together: Our Collective Consciousness’ Psychogenic Fugue from start to finish, I was sold.  There are far too many stellar moments on that album, and it really has stood the test of time for me.  I've only recently become a bit more partial to Superbass, but both are very strong releases in their respective rights.  I will say that Milk Mouth has one of the worst album covers I've ever seen, though... but at least it'll make for some interesting color combinations, if they decide to go with a colored variant.

I could kiss you for that news.

Right?  The band mentioned it (all too casually) in the comment section of a Facebook post – but that nonchalant news made my day, personally.  They also mentioned that Superbass is being remastered and re-released... and I think it's safe to assume that'll be the version we get on vinyl.  Which I'm cool with.  Because as much as I adore that album, it can get a little fuzzy around the edges.

Unless they repress Pink Magick on a translucent pink, I don't think I'll be hopping on the repress.  I'm all for more people being able to own a copy, but (for me) it seems silly to want to own that record on any other colorway than pink.

Getting way pumped for the represses. Mostly MSWMM, it was that album along with American Don and Tera Melos' Untitled that really ignited my affinity for math rock.

Not to split hairs or be overly technical, but Pink Magick is technically the only repress.  Everything else are presses for the first time... and I honestly couldn't be more thrilled to be into the band and aware of them, when they drop.  Considering the obscurity of G?G!, I think a lot of people - myself included - sort of happen upon them way "late" in the game.  Can you imagine if something like Superbass was pressed in a limited run of 500, back in 2005?  I personally would have had no idea.  I'm grateful I hopped on my copy of Pink Magick in 2012 or so.  I don't know how or why the duo has been on such a roll lately - especially with vinyl releases - but I am so very grateful.  Now is a great time to be a fan of their backlog and vinyl.

Not to split hairs or be overly technical, but Pink Magick is technically the only repress.  Everything else are presses for the first time... and I honestly couldn't be more thrilled to be into the band and aware of them, when they drop.  Considering the obscurity of G?G!, I think a lot of people - myself included - sort of happen upon them way "late" in the game.  Can you imagine if something like Superbass was pressed in a limited run of 500, back in 2005?  I personally would have had no idea.  I'm grateful I hopped on my copy of Pink Magick in 2012 or so.  I don't know how or why the duo has been on such a roll lately - especially with vinyl releases - but I am so very grateful.  Now is a great time to be a fan of their backlog and vinyl.

For some reason I thought they all had a limited run at some point, but I stand corrected! That makes these presses all the more sweet I suppose. I just finished listening to Superbass and More Skin back-to-back, it's going to be a real treat spinning these.

Unless they repress Pink Magick on a translucent pink, I don't think I'll be hopping on the repress.  I'm all for more people being able to own a copy, but (for me) it seems silly to want to own that record on any other colorway than pink.

I asked about vinyl of MSWMM when it came out on CD back in the day.  I was told eventually, but not yet so I just got 2 copies on CD haha

now it's finally actually happening.

Nice.  You're way ahead of me on that one – if I listened to MSWMM back in 2007, I think I would have been equal parts appalled and confused.  I was a pretty narrow-minded teen until 2008 or so... and even then, genres like math-rock would've been way over my head.

Don't CD copies of Milk Mouth and Superbass fetch a pretty penny these days?  Or am I just imagining that?

Nice.  You're way ahead of me on that one – if I listened to MSWMM back in 2007, I think I would have been equal parts appalled and confused.  I was a pretty narrow-minded teen until 2008 or so... and even then, genres like math-rock would've been way over my head.

Don't CD copies of Milk Mouth and Superbass fetch a pretty penny these days?  Or am I just imagining that?

I would have been 21 in 2007...

As for what their old CDs go for, I've never looked into it. Maybe. I don't have a physical copy of superbass, but I have 1 opened Milk Mouth and 1 sealed. Doubt I would sell either anyway.  I would imagine superbass goes for more because I've never seen one and I think they might have had a more handmade vibe. MSWMM are factory-produced, but still probably pretty rare, it came out on a small label... btw who is repressing them? SH?

I remember getting that CD and showing the Alan Watts spoken word part to people and watching their minds get blown.  Pretty much everyone I showed that CD too ended up loving it and became a new fan.

I believe that was my introduction to Alan Watts as well.  I wish Sargent House would sign G?G! already.  Seems like a really good fit to me, personally, but alas – I believe the represses will be self-released, just like the new 7" and their 10" split with Goddard.

Oh cool cool, yeah I figured since their affiliation with Hello Merch that they'd be signed to SH by now, right?  I guess that's why they were the first label to come to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody who got the 7" care to share which "random" color variant they got? Mine is an opaque plum-ish splatter.

The "splatter" element makes me happy.  So fitting for a release of this nature... especially considering the art.

I bundled mine with the new Marriages PO, so I won't know what I got for another month or so.

The "splatter" element makes me happy.  So fitting for a release of this nature... especially considering the art.

I bundled mine with the new Marriages PO, so I won't know what I got for another month or so.

G?G! and splatter vinyl feel like a match made in heaven, for sure. 

Good call with the bundle. I still need to PO that Marriages. Dragging my feet for whatever reason... 

G?G! and splatter vinyl feel like a match made in heaven, for sure. 

Good call with the bundle. I still need to PO that Marriages. Dragging my feet for whatever reason... 

I was also going to add that new ASIWYFA, but I'm not crazy about the U.S. variant.  Chelsea Wolfe is later this year, too.  Not sure if you're a fan of all of those artists, but Sargent House is killing it with releases currently in the pipeline.

I hope there are some cool colorways for the new pressings of Milk Mouth and Superbass.  I don't think G?G! have released a single piece of wax that wasn't colored, so signs are good.