Distortion during song chorus?

Hi guys. I'm hearing some distortion when listening to songs that have multiple instruments and loud. Typically during the chorus portion of songs. I'm not talking death metal or anything overly loud. Here this on the new Ryan Adams album and Beatles stuff. I bought my turntable off Ebay and have never brought it in for a tune up...Do you think it could be a counter-weight or needle issue? My setup below...

Pro-Ject Debut 3 w/ Ortofon M2 Red cartridge (Original owner made the upgrade)

Creek phono pre

8w Tube amp

Klipsch KB-15 bookshelf

Thanks

Right, but tubes are sensitive, vinyl is senstive... combined? Sensitive. I'd try ruling out the amp with a separate amp/integrated or something.

Since you didn't name a brand, I'm guessing its a kit... so there's a ton of room for error with kits. Also depends on the tubes used!

Following what dummycore said, could be a million things. Start trying to isolate the issue. Try a different amp. Try a digital source with the same songs. Try different speakers. Try different cables. If you have a friend with a table, have em bring it over.

BUT his speakers are on the same unit... and it doesn't seem like a real steady unit.

Pro-Ject Debut III w/ 2M Red Cartridge upgrade

Kit build 10w tube amp

Creek Phono Preamp

Klipsch Bookshelf Speaker Pair.....

Spinning 180g Zeppelin I in the photo.

photo_1.jpg

Move the speakers off the same unit. Move em to stands!

If not a worn stylus or alignment then that only leaves impedance mismatch or too high a gain. As ajxd suggested valve amps are sensative so an impedance issue is possible and you can cure it with a buffer stage between the phono stage and amplifier or you can make up a resistance box to put between the turntable and phono stage.

If not a worn stylus or alignment then that only leaves impedance mismatch or too high a gain. As ajxd suggested valve amps are sensative so an impedance issue is possible and you can cure it with a buffer stage between the phono stage and amplifier or you can make up a resistance box to put between the turntable and phono stage.

Thanks allenh. Did check impedance on phono output and amp input, both are 100k. I'm really suspecting the turntable needs a good setup done.  

Most MM carts want a loading of 47k and 100pf capacitance so 100k might be a bit high

The Creek phono is a OBH-18 MM. Specifically for Moving Magnet. The spec sheet says 47K input which is an exact match to my Ortofan 2M red cartridge. Also specs <100k output which matches my tube amp input. I need to do some setup work on the turntable. Thanks for the input allenh.

The Creek phono is a OBH-18 MM. Specifically for Moving Magnet. The spec sheet says 47K input which is an exact match to my Ortofan 2M red cartridge. Also specs <100k output which matches my tube amp input. I need to do some setup work on the turntable. Thanks for the input allenh.

Yes the figures are right so it does sound like alignment is the issue which tbh with turntables it usually is

• 1 month later...