How do you store/browse your record collection?

Obviously shelf-storage and standard cube-type storage makes browsing records a right pain, especially once the spine gets a bit worse for wear and your can't identify the record from the side.

I've been making solid wood flip-through holders (PLUG: they are well crafted beautiful and practical pieces that make flip-through browsing super easy). Here's my Etsy shop  https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/StandingWaveWoodworkSo far I've been making individual units that fit 35 records, but I've been thinking of creating a modular version where you could buy a custom amount of holders that could fill whatever size of space you want (in a nook or cranny, across the floor, up to the ceiling, round a corner etc).

So, apart from my shameless plug, (see below!) my question is: what would be your ideal format/size for having a browse-friendly storage set up? How many records per unit would be ideal? Obviously the more records it fits in the bigger the footprint of the holders.

Your expert knowledge is called for!

Cheers,

Charis

iusb_760x100.15026116_9duf.jpg

il_570xN.726906026_7ao1.jpgil_570xN.726713432_tl75.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/StandingWaveWoodwork

I have an organization system that goes like this,

-7"-all of my 45 rpms go into 7" Donates pizza boxes

-10" go in another box for special storage

-12" Made a custom storage container of a wood pallete, this is where all of my 12" records are placed. There are dividers inside by genre

-obscure picture,cardboard,personal,etc. -kept in a Abrecombie container with double sleeves

on top of 12" container I have a Amp with a built in 8 track player and on top of that is my sears lxi turntable.

I'm having a hard time envisioning this becoming a modular system that could hold my collection, especially seeing how would need to sit on a pre-existing shelf in it's current form. I guess might not understand how you plan to adapt this. 

I could see using to hold some "current rotation" stuff, in which case your current model is fine. Somewhat related, I'd prefer a white or darker stain version and might go that route before I developed totally new model. Natural wood isn't my favorite. 

that thing looks like it might be wobbly.  do the feet need to be moved further apart?  I can see it being handy for an "in circulation" stack or maybe new records needing to be cleaned/bagged/filed but wouldn't lend itself to mass storage.

I think the handiest solution is the record store-style flip through shelves, but those are not very space efficient.  most people wind up with a bookshelf type.

I made this thing out of somebody else's DIY record box.  I like it but I think it would be sort of a pain to use for a large collection.

18270_10203749329359940_1435278508166090

Yeah I see those working well for an "in circulation" stack as others have said here. They are very nice and I am sure they are worth the $$ since they are custom made, but I am cheap and probably wouldn't spend that much for a record holder. 

thanks...it took me a whole weeks worth of time to make that :)