PO NOW: Surfer Blood - "1000 PALMS" Out 05/12/2015 on Joyful Noise

Royce

I think this deserves it's own thread. 

8xVqFtt.jpg

"1000 Palms marks a return to Surfer Blood's DIY ethos. Abandoning the big time studio, the band decided to head back home to self-record and self-produce their third full-length album. Free of major-label-influence, Surfer Blood have delivered a uniquely compelling album, unlike anything in their catalog.
The story of 1000 Palms began on January 1st 2014, after playing a New Year’s show in Portland, OR, the band decided to stick around for the rest of the month, renting a practice space and sorting through a backlog of ideas. By February, as their lease ran out, Surfer Blood had recorded demos for most of the tracks that now feature on their third LP.
After a frustrating time at previous home Warner Brothers, the quartet were beyond ready to return to a more DIY recording process, completely void of the middlemen scrutinizing every bar of previous LP Pythons. With the band self-recording it was in the glamorous setting of an attic studio above a doctor’s office where drums were committed to tape. Frontman John Paul Pitts states “fortunately none of us are strangers to DIY recording, so it was a challenge well-suited to our band”.
The making of 1000 Palms also owes a lot to the kindness of friends and family, with the remaining instrument sessions taking place at the home of drummer Tyler Schwartz’s parents while they were on vacation. Following a few days of very little sleep and after the band pooled resources and called in favors, the band had managed to craft everything you now hear on the upcoming record."

Pressing Info: 

Green & Clear "Starburst" Vinyl (includes exclusive flexi-disc bonus song) /500 - VIP Exclusive

Sky Blue Vinyl

Black Vinyl

Green Cassette /250

First Track: 

Link goes nowhere for me, but I'm not VIP.

Really glad to hear they're steering clear of Pythons-type recording. Astro Coast was a classic but Pythons felt weird and mechanical, the RSD 'punk' version was a big improvement.

Any VIP members feel like snagging me a Green & Clear and a cassette?

Link should work tomorrow for non-VIP. I was disappointed with the "punk" version, I felt like it wasn't that different. Pythons turned me off at first but after jamming it constantly i fell in love with it. 

Fuck the lead singer and fuck this band

The girlfriend fight thing or ?

Fuck the lead singer and fuck this band

"According to a police report, Pitt was arrested after his girlfriend at the time called police. As the two were arguing, Pitt locked himself in his bathroom and threatened to harm himself. After letting her in, they continued arguing in the bedroom, where he grabbed her and pinned her on the bed, then tried to shove his fingers in her mouth. She had bruises on her arms and face, and she told police that he’d done this before." -Stereogum

Unlike Conor O'Berst, this case has evidence of bruises, and is recorded with a police report. This is the polar opposite of the O'berst false accusations

"According to a police report, Pitt was arrested after his girlfriend at the time called police. As the two were arguing, Pitt locked himself in his bathroom and threatened to harm himself. After letting her in, they continued arguing in the bedroom, where he grabbed her and pinned her on the bed, then tried to shove his fingers in her mouth. She had bruises on her arms and face, and she told police that he’d done this before." -Stereogum

Unlike Conor O'Berst, this case has evidence of bruises, and is recorded with a police report. This is the polar opposite of the O'berst false accusations

I'm not trying to compare in that way. I was just saying media blows up a lot of shit, and it's hard to believe either side. it's shitty either way. 

This is the article i read awhile back: http://pitchfork.com/features/update/9129-surfer-blood/

Edit: I'm not defending the dude. It's a shitty situation and if he did anything you're right "fuck him." Here is just his side of the story. I respect anyone that doesn't want to support this band because of this. 

Link goes nowhere for me, but I'm not VIP.

Really glad to hear they're steering clear of Pythons-type recording. Astro Coast was a classic but Pythons felt weird and mechanical, the RSD 'punk' version was a big improvement.

Any VIP members feel like snagging me a Green & Clear and a cassette?

You don't have to be VIP to get the Starburst variant, you get a 1 month complimentary subscription when buying it

I mean if your you're going to link an article damning the guy at least get the gist of it, your article said he plead Not Guilty, and the charges were eventually dropped.

Not defending him either, but reading comprehension...

I mean if your you're going to link an article damning the guy at least get the gist of it, your article said he plead Not Guilty, and the charges were eventually dropped.

Not defending him either, but reading comprehension...

At least finish reading the sentence before calling someone out for their lack of reading comprehension.

Pitts pleaded not guilty on May 4, before obtaining a "plea and pass" agreement on July 13.

If he complies fully with a program mandated by the court, his guilty plea and charges will be dismissed in April 2013.

Plea and pass means he pleaded guilty, but it will be erased from his record if he complies with the program mandated by the court.

I was very interested until I saw the price. I'm not going to pay more for an album just because the record is a color.

I'll wait until I hear the rest of the album then pick up the black one.

Exactly. How dare they charge more for an item that cost more to manufacture. And $17 for an LP, what a rip-off.