The Vinyl Deals Thread (non-Amazon)

A bunch of new titles were added at ~70% off. Stuff you'd expect would get scooped up quickly at those prices -- Rush, Gza, Stones, etc. Two days later, and pretty much all of it cancelled across the board. For folks who use PayPal, they're finding DD didn't refund the full amount. I, for example, was shorted around $50. Amounts vary. This isn't the first time I (and others) have had issues with DD not refunding correctly -- I've had to spend weeks before getting back $11, $8 and so on for different cancellations -- and I've had many instances where they refund all but a penny. I don't even bother with those.

You can strike it up to incompetence and accounting errors all you want, but I find folks' indifference to this fairly baffling. I mean, companies get into deep shit with the FTC over stuff like this, but because "they handle half the world's vinyl distribution" we should just shrug our shoulders and take whatever they give us? Despite what some people might think, our commercial markets largely police themselves.  This laissez-faire attitude towards clearly egregious retail practices is what allows companies like Deep Discount to keep abusing their customers.

I mean, just think about the shit storm that would brew if this were happening at Amazon. lmao

2 hours ago, w0rn said:

A bunch of new titles were added at ~70% off. Stuff you'd expect would get scooped up quickly at those prices -- Rush, Gza, Stones, etc. Two days later, and pretty much all of it cancelled across the board. For folks who use PayPal, they're finding DD didn't refund the full amount. I, for example, was shorted around $50. Amounts vary. This isn't the first time I (and others) have had issues with DD not refunding correctly -- I've had to spend weeks before getting back $11, $8 and so on for different cancellations -- and I've had many instances where they refund all but a penny. I don't even bother with those.

thumbnail.jpg?domain=cushionsource.com
Custom Cushions and Pillows
At Cushion Source®, We Are The Leader in Custom Cushions™. Get Started Today!
cushionsource.com

You can strike it up to incompetence and accounting errors all you want, but I find folks' indifference to this fairly baffling. I mean, companies get into deep shit with the FTC over stuff like this, but because "they handle half the world's vinyl distribution" we should just shrug our shoulders and take whatever they give us? Despite what some people might think, our commercial markets largely police themselves.  This laissez-faire attitude towards clearly egregious retail practices is what allows companies like Deep Discount to keep abusing their customers.

3e4c328edf9c5ca152a5e4c7b5683c8d0a.jpg?w=90&h=70&fit=crop&crop=center&fm=jpg
She Puts a Cut Lemon Next to Her Bed And...
This is Something Everyone Should Try
tips-and-tricks.co

I mean, just think about the shit storm that would brew if this were happening at Amazon. lmao

Aren’t you the same guy that had some in-depth scam you were trying to run on them?  🙄

Well, my last package from Target came. I dove in on the B2GO deal and got Allen Toussaint's 'Bright Mississippi', Joe Strummer's 'Streetcore', and finally the preorder for The Subways' 'Young For Eternity' reissue. AT & JS showed up without a hitch in perfect shape. Subways weren't so lucky. Package was creased when it arrived on my doorstep and I knew it wasn't a good sign. Opened it up... It's livable, I guess, but jesus christ if I buy something new it'd be nice for it to be new when it shows up. I WAS surprised to find that when I went to issue a complaint, it said the LP was now out of stock/print and that they would flat out refund me without having to return it! It's still playable, too! Woohoo! Might buy somethin' else to make it a B2G2. HA

3 hours ago, jpearin said:

Well, my last package from Target came. I dove in on the B2GO deal and got Allen Toussaint's 'Bright Mississippi', Joe Strummer's 'Streetcore', and finally the preorder for The Subways' 'Young For Eternity' reissue. AT & JS showed up without a hitch in perfect shape. Subways weren't so lucky. Package was creased when it arrived on my doorstep and I knew it wasn't a good sign. Opened it up... It's livable, I guess, but jesus christ if I buy something new it'd be nice for it to be new when it shows up. I WAS surprised to find that when I went to issue a complaint, it said the LP was now out of stock/print and that they would flat out refund me without having to return it! It's still playable, too! Woohoo! Might buy somethin' else to make it a B2G2. HA

I'm curious how they determine if the item needs to be returned or not when issuing either a refund or replacement.
Depends on the price of the item?
I had a record arrive damaged, and there were no more in stock to replace it, and I was asked for it to be returned for the refund.

10 minutes ago, vinyldavid said:

I'm curious how they determine if the item needs to be returned or not when issuing either a refund or replacement.
Depends on the price of the item?
I had a record arrive damaged, and there were no more in stock to replace it, and I was asked for it to be returned for the refund.

I'll admit, I was completely surprised. I guess at least the thing still plays. I definitely left some comments (but no photo) on what actually happened. Who knows. The confirmation of my refund e-mail actually says "Looks like the item you are returning does not need to be returned to Target this time in order for you to get your refund. Feel free to keep it, recycle or donate it! If the item was damaged, please dispose of it safely." so I'm happy I can keep it with a totally guilt-free conscience! Thanks, Target! I guess that's a happy note on a totally gloomy day in a totally gloomy time...

On 7/9/2020 at 11:55 AM, aopps42 said:

Aren’t you the same guy that had some in-depth scam you were trying to run on them?  🙄

An in-depth scam where I receive cancelled goods I paid for when they return a couple weeks later at higher prices?

Starting to think some of you work at Deep Discount or something. 😂

Edited by w0rn

By the way, a lot of the albums for sale during the July 4 sale are back on Deep Discount. If you ordered them at the reduced price, DD's policy is supposed to honor the sale price now that they're back (since it's within 10 days).

Feel free to check into it if you had a cancelled order. Unless you think that makes you a scam artist, I guess.

16 minutes ago, w0rn said:

By the way, a lot of the albums for sale during the July 4 sale are back on Deep Discount. If you ordered them at the reduced price, DD's policy is supposed to honor the sale price now that they're back (since it's within 10 days).

Feel free to check into it if you had a cancelled order. Unless you think that makes you a scam artist, I guess.

Where in the policy does it say that?

23 minutes ago, Lugubrious said:

Where in the policy does it say that?

The "scam" I posted a couple weeks ago was about how I reordered a bunch of records I'd purchased when they were ~70% off. Deep Discount had previously responded to one of my emails saying to notify them when something returned to stock if it had been in an order that was cancelled. I did that and gave everyone here a heads up, assuming a lot of others had experienced immediate DD cancellations. The reaction was... something.

I didn't bother following up when I heard back since a number of folks felt the need to step in front of a bullet for a mega online retailer with clearly suspect selling practices, but hey, to each their own.

The upshot is that DD responded to my purchase with an email that said something like, oh, actually, when we said you could reorder that stuff, we meant it had to be within 10 days of your first order. Details!

Is the reorder-a-cancelled-purchase-within-10-days-to-get-the-original-value a stone cold fact? Given who we're dealing with, probably not. But I received a notice this morning that Liquid Swords (one of the July 4 sale titles) was miraculously back in stock a week later. 😐 Shocking 😐

I went to DD and saw a number of other titles that had been on sale last week. I placed (another) order for Liquid Swords, then sent DD an email with the details of the two orders. We'll see what happens.

User poll: Do you want to hear if DD ends up refunding the difference? To vote yes, reply "yes." To vote no, put on your cool kids shades and fire off a pithy quote reply. 😎

Edited by w0rn

33 minutes ago, w0rn said:

The "scam" I posted a couple weeks ago was about how I reordered a bunch of records I'd purchased when they were ~70% off. Deep Discount had previously responded to one of my emails saying to notify them when something returned to stock if it had been in an order that was cancelled. I did that and gave everyone here a heads up, assuming a lot of others had experienced immediate DD cancellations. The reaction was... something.

I didn't bother following up when I heard back since a number of folks felt the need to step in front of a bullet for a mega online retailer with clearly suspect selling practices, but hey, to each their own.

The upshot is that DD responded to my purchase with an email that said something like, oh, actually, when we said you could reorder that stuff, we meant it had to be within 10 days of your first order. Details!

Is the reorder-a-cancelled-purchase-within-10-days-to-get-the-original-value a stone cold fact? Given who we're dealing with, probably not. But I received a notice this morning that Liquid Swords (one of the July 4 sale titles) was miraculously back in stock a week later. 😐 Shocking 😐

I went to DD and saw a number of other titles that had been on sale last week. I placed (another) order for Liquid Swords, then sent DD an email with the details of the two orders. We'll see what happens.

User poll: Do you want to hear if DD ends up refunding the difference? To vote yes, reply "yes." To vote no, put on your cool kids shades and fire off a pithy quote reply. 😎

😎 yes.

1 hour ago, w0rn said:

Yes. DD has been shady for years. I’m interested to hear the results. 

On 7/11/2020 at 6:42 PM, Fowty Dollaz said:

😎 yes.

On 7/11/2020 at 7:50 PM, webdoggy said:

Yes. DD has been shady for years. I’m interested to hear the results. 

Partial update, with recap preceding...

• 6/24/20: Ordered a bunch of previously cancelled DD stock and requested reimbursement after receiving email that stated, "Please feel free to reorder the items at your convenience on our website. If you do reorder the items and prices have changed, just forward us the new order number and we will refund any price differences. We apologize for any inconvenience."
  • 6/27/20: Received email from DD stating, "We regret to inform you we are not able to do a price adjustment for the complete order. [...] We have a policy of 10 days after the order is placed to request a price adjustment."
  • 7/02/20: Upon receiving the items purchased on 6/24, immediately returned via USPS media mail (cost, roughly $4).
  • 7/07/20: Confirmation that items arrived back at DD warehouse.
  • 7/14/20: Just now received reimbursement for full amount*, so no restocking fee was assessed.

The endeavor only ended up costing me about four bucks, 45 minutes of total time and an almost imperceivable portion of my soul.

The upshot: It appears even if you fail at checking DD on their squirrelly inventory practices, you can return items for a full refund (minus media mail shipping fees). Thus, probably worth a shot if there was a sweet deal on something you really wanted, and you ended up getting the dreaded cancellation notice.

Caveat emptor, though, remember the (supposed) policy of having to place a reorder within 10 days of the original order. As outlined previously, this was the case with my purchase of Liquid Swords on July 4, and I made another purchase when it showed up as in stock again July 7. I'll touch base when I hear back on that one.

* - "full amount" meaning the full amount... minus a penny. This is #73 on this list of bizarre shit Deep Discount does.

7/14/20: Later that same day... Just received this note from DD re: the re-ordered Liquid Swords.

Hello. A refund has been requested, please allow 4-7 business days to be reflect on your account. Again, thank you for writing DeepDiscount.com. We appreciate your business.

There you go. It looks like DD will honor reorders within 10 days of original purchase. So here's the plan the next time you get one of those pesky cancellations:

1. Go back to the product page and add your email to the box that says "Email me when available."
  2. If you get an email within 10 days, go back to DD and order the (likely much higher priced) album again.
  3. Email [email protected] after that, and give them...
    1. Original order number
    2. Item number with original price paid
    3. New price listed
    4. Total amount they should refund you

It'll be interesting to see how many titles come back within 10 days. My guess? Not a ton. But shoot, if we can get just a few of those cancellations at the discounted price, I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...

$286 for the Beatles stereo box set after comeback promo code!! I know i put this on here before but they only have a few left and the sale ends in a few days!!

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/collections/vinyl/products/the-beatles-in-stereo-vinyl-box-set?_pos=4&_sid=fd2b2737a&_ss=r

That affirm thing is badass!! It doesn't charge til a mo later and it's broken down into 3 installments!! Good way to buy the expensive sets!!

Edited by rhcp02
Update

9 hours ago, vinyldavid said:

I haven't been following Deep Discount much. Do they run sales like the July 4th ones very often? Where vinyl is around 70% off?
I realize there was the issue of items getting cancelled, but still curious about the frequency of their big sales.
Thanks.

Seems to be fairly random in terms of when they tab stuff for +60% off. Recently, they've really been yanking sub $10 records off the board, so it's been very quiet lately. 

2 hours ago, rhcp02 said:

$286 for the Beatles stereo box set after comeback promo code!! I know i put this on here before but they only have a few left and the sale ends in a few days!!

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/collections/vinyl/products/the-beatles-in-stereo-vinyl-box-set?_pos=4&_sid=fd2b2737a&_ss=r

That affirm thing is badass!! It doesn't charge til a mo later and it's broken down into 3 installments!! Good way to buy the expensive sets!!

Very tough for me to pull the trigger on box sets -- even for artists I'm a big fan of -- because stuff like books, posters, display boxes just don't appeal much to me. Even at $286, I'm looking at around $20 per record, with most of these regularly available under $18.

I'm whatever the opposite of a hoarder is, so the prospect of buying box sets always gives me the howling fantods. 😅

10 hours ago, w0rn said:

Very tough for me to pull the trigger on box sets -- even for artists I'm a big fan of -- because stuff like books, posters, display boxes just don't appeal much to me. Even at $286, I'm looking at around $20 per record, with most of these regularly available under $18.

I'm whatever the opposite of a hoarder is, so the prospect of buying box sets always gives me the howling fantods. 😅

It does come with a book too. :)

13 hours ago, rhcp02 said:

Why is it that the code works on that box set, but doesn't seem to work on some other box sets or deluxe editions?
Like: Yeah Yeah Yeahs Fever to Tell Deluxe, GNR Locked & Loaded, Soundgarden Live From The Artists Den Super Deluxe Box Set.
I get "COMEBACK discount code isn’t valid for the items in your cart."
I thought at first it may be a dollar amount threshold, but some of those are well under the price of The Beatles boxset.
I'm curious how an item qualifies.

11 hours ago, vinyldavid said:

Why is it that the code works on that box set, but doesn't seem to work on some other box sets or deluxe editions?
Like: Yeah Yeah Yeahs Fever to Tell Deluxe, GNR Locked & Loaded, Soundgarden Live From The Artists Den Super Deluxe Box Set.
I get "COMEBACK discount code isn’t valid for the items in your cart."
I thought at first it may be a dollar amount threshold, but some of those are well under the price of The Beatles boxset.
I'm curious how an item qualifies.

Thats weird, I've never had that code not work. I bought the white album and sgt pepper super deluxe box sets too & I've placed like 6 different orders within the last couple weeks. 

13 minutes ago, rhcp02 said:

Thats weird, I've never had that code not work. I bought the white album and sgt pepper super deluxe box sets too & I've placed like 6 different orders within the last couple weeks. 

Have any of your orders shipped?  I placed an order on the 9th and it has yet to ship.