The Vinyl Deals Thread (non-Amazon)

So I just got my order in. I ordered 7 LPs (and even though I live a 5 minute drive from where they shipped it, shipping was $25...), and I received 6 - two were oversold and they replaced one of them (with a record I actually wanted - Needles//Pins - 12:34).

But I have an ethical question for y'all: I paid for 7 LPs, as cheap as they might have been, I received one less record than I paid for, which would have been $5 + an extra $3 for shipping. Knowing that this record label is folding, is it worth asking/arguing for that money back? Is that too petty or worth arguing? 

I'd possibly argue it. I'd also argue for the money for the one they "replaced" with something you didn't order.

So I just got my order in. I ordered 7 LPs (and even though I live a 5 minute drive from where they shipped it, shipping was $25...), and I received 6 - two were oversold and they replaced one of them (with a record I actually wanted - Needles//Pins - 12:34).

But I have an ethical question for y'all: I paid for 7 LPs, as cheap as they might have been, I received one less record than I paid for, which would have been $5 + an extra $3 for shipping. Knowing that this record label is folding, is it worth asking/arguing for that money back? Is that too petty or worth arguing? 

You have every right to ask/argue for the money back.

But..........

Is the $8 really going to make or break you?  Earn some Karma points and let 'em have the difference.  You still got a good deal and you'll know you did a good deed for people who's company is folding.

You have every right to ask/argue for the money back.

But..........

Is the $8 really going to make or break you?  Earn some Karma points and let 'em have the difference.  You still got a good deal and you'll know you did a good deed for people who's company is folding.

That's kind of where I'm at. I feel like they're liquidating to cover baseline - I know how hard and expensive it is to run a label. Think I'm just gonna suck it up not worry about it. 

Relatedly, some great albums/bands on this label, some of which I bought with minimal listens:

Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet - Savvy Show Stoppers (80s Toronto instrumental surf-rock band)

Mother's Children - Lemon - power pop

Needles//Pins - 12:34 - catchy pop punk

and more that I still have to get through.

That's kind of where I'm at. I feel like they're liquidating to cover baseline - I know how hard and expensive it is to run a label. Think I'm just gonna suck it up not worry about it.

Relatedly, some great albums/bands on this label, some of which I bought with minimal listens:

Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet - Savvy Show Stoppers (80s Toronto instrumental surf-rock band)

Mother's Children - Lemon - power pop

Needles//Pins - 12:34 - catchy pop punk

and more that I still have to get through.

Needles//pins are so good. Highly recommend picking up their full length "shamebirds" if you havnt yet!

My copy of Beck's Modern Guilt arrived yesterday afternoon (bought from amazon uk - seller was UniquePlace-UK - shipped from Switzerland).

It took a week and a half longer than the projected delivery date, no tracking was provided, and it was packaged in a cardboard envelope that was bent in half. Every corner was bent, along with a nice big crease down the middle of the jacket.

The seller is offering to refund me 1/3 of what I paid for it. This is absurd.

Avoid this seller at all costs.

Just email Amazon directly and explain that you reached out to the seller but the solution was ridiculous and they will likely refund the whole thing

That's what I plan on doing if they won't work with me. I've offered to eat 1/2 of the shipping cost, which I think is more than fair.

It's just mind-blowing that they would ship an LP overseas with almost zero consideration of the packaging. 

My copy of Beck's Modern Guilt arrived yesterday afternoon (bought from amazon uk - seller was UniquePlace-UK - shipped from Switzerland).

It took a week and a half longer than the projected delivery date, no tracking was provided, and it was packaged in a cardboard envelope that was bent in half. Every corner was bent, along with a nice big crease down the middle of the jacket.

The seller is offering to refund me 1/3 of what I paid for it. This is absurd.

Avoid this seller at all costs.

Really? Man that sucks. I ordered mine from Amazon.com and didn't have any issues. Took just a couple days to get here too. Also it arrived in mint condition. I would recommend taking directly to Amazon and cutting the middle man out. I have never seen them not handle a customer service situation without making it right. Good luck.

Hey, New Englanders! If you didn't get the e-mail: 25% off all vinyl records at Newbury Comics locations this weekend (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). Not online, though.

http://view.email.newburycomics.com/?j=fe59157876610675771d&m=fef917707d6201&ls=fdf2117373660c7c7c147670&l=ff271d757c65&s=fe2e1271776705787c1270&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe2716717c660474711277

Got my UO records yesterday, packaged extremely well: records sandwiched with bubble wrap in an LP mailer, and that mailer and the packing slip inside a slightly larger box. Both records are also in perfect shape, not even as little as a tear in the shrink wrap.

Got my copy of MBV from UO today, was packaged like a tank. They also must have sent me a warehouse copy because mine is in perfect shape. The records sounds great from what I have heard so far, but no way it was worth the original asking price, happy I got a sale copy.

I echo these posts, word for word.

I echo these posts, word for word.

I've ordered more from UO lately as I've had 20% off coupons to use. Some records arrive in perfect shape, then there are the ones that were shipped from stores. They sometimes arrive in LP mailers, sometimes in plastic pouches. Sometimes they are sealed, and sometimes they look like used LPs that wouldn't be graded any higher than G. If it's something they have a lot of stock of, like Nirvana Bleach then you'll probably get it from the warehouse. But it you got something that's probably OOP it's a gamble.

You didn't mention where, but I'm assuming on Amazon since it's dropped considerably there. Hopefully it drops a bit more, but regardless it's a stellar album.

Sorry, I think the MSRP dropped. I was in Newbury Comics and there was a $39.99 sticker covering the $59.99 tag. I also checked a few other places (including amazon) and the prices have all dropped. Probably going to pick it up this weekend. Newbury Comics has a 25% off all vinyl sale til Sunday so I might go back and grab it after work.

Careful with that SG re-release. Wasn't a fan of the sound, very compressed and too loud. Not that the original press was much better but just a headsup. I say wait until it's $25 or lower. 

Yeah, the original pressing was cut right from the 16/44 files from what I understand. I had a copy a few years ago but it sounded exactly like the CD, so I sold it.  I haven't heard the recent reissue though.

At Newbury Comics this afternoon, I picked up Mastodon - Leviathan for $15 and some change.  Also grabbed Yob - Atma for under $20. It's a pretty good sale, 25% off, but some of their LP's are way over-priced to begin with, so it's worthwhile to do a bit of price research before going nuts in there.

Yeah, the original pressing was cut right from the 16/44 files from what I understand. I had a copy a few years ago but it sounded exactly like the CD, so I sold it. I haven't heard the recent reissue though.

I picked up the original on Discogs a few months back and while the music sounded great, the vocals were too hot and had lots of sibilance. If it hadn't been for the sibilance I would have kept it. Maybe I'll grab the remaster again when it's super cheap. The one I ordered was the EU version pressed at GZ, while the US version was done at QRP. Maybe it'll be a little better.

Word. Good looks. I will stay away from it. I found an original in store somewhere but they want $100. Fuck that. I ended up only grabbing Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies/SAP for $30 at Newbury today. Not much of a deal but the jacket wasn't banged up at all so I figure why risk ordering online a bit cheaper with the possibility of the jacket being fucked up. My buddy picked up No Love Deep Web by Death Grips for $15 though. 

This Will Destroy You - Live In Reykjavik 3xLP is $9.99 on the Magic Bullet records website still. Also Helium Head by Mutoid Man is $5.99 there.

Grabbed both of these and the Beastmilk all for under $30 shipped.

Also went to Newbury today and grabbed Weezer - Pinkerton for $26. Was also contemplating on getting the repress of Physical Graffiti since I seem to never find an older one out in the wild.