The Vinyl Deals Thread (non-Amazon)

I finally was able to get the Ryan Adams set finally and got 2 in hopes that I can trade it (and either the other $13 or an LP) for the Day of the Dead Box Set.  Send me a message if you're interested...

Update: I got the Day of the Dead box...insomnia finally pays off!

Edited by mertzrock

3 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Is oddbanana just ccmusic/importcds/etc? Location is the same. They have some good stuff still, if you sort lowest to highest. Grabbed Tim Kasher - Adult Film LP for $7.27ppd.

I think the relationship is a little more complicated than that.   My recent popmarket order came from the same address and the same packaging as the others you have mentioned.   There are other Amazon and Ebay dealers as well, like 'moviemars'. 

I believe there is a warehouse and a shipping facility there, whatever you want to call it.  I think that the various dealers are competitors of one another but share access  to a common inventory list that is published and updated in something approaching real time by the distributor.    

This business model dates back to the early days of Amazon and Ebay, when big DVD dealers (like Ebay's glacierbaydvd, the original big user of this model and now bankrupt and long gone, and moviemars) tried to become the biggest dealers on Ebay but didn't actually buy any inventory until they had a customer's order in hand.   Back then the inventory technology was not available in real time and there was a huge backlash from customers of both Ebay and Amazon against sellers who couldn't fulfill orders.    Nowadays I suspect the interface between dealer and wholesaler is much more robust and accurate.

1 minute ago, jackshidt said:

I think the relationship is a little more complicated than that.   My recent popmarket order came from the same address and the same packaging as the others you have mentioned.   There are other Amazon and Ebay dealers as well, like 'moviemars'. 

I believe there is a warehouse and a shipping facility there, whatever you want to call it.  I think that the various dealers are competitors of one another but share access  to a common inventory list that is published and updated in something approaching real time by the distributor.    

This business model dates back to the early days of Amazon and Ebay, when big DVD dealers (like Ebay's glacierbaydvd, the original big user of this model and now bankrupt and long gone, and moviemars) tried to become the biggest dealers on Ebay but didn't actually buy any inventory until they had a customer's order in hand.   Back then the inventory technology was not available in real time and there was a huge backlash from customers of both Ebay and Amazon against sellers who couldn't fulfill orders.    Nowadays I suspect the interface between dealer and wholesaler is much more robust and accurate.

What a strange business model, but it makes sense why so much stuff ships from that part of KY.

7 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

What a strange business model, but it makes sense why so much stuff ships from that part of KY.

The funny thing is, this huge ass fullfillment center is literally 20 mins from me and it still takes 3-5 days for shipping.  Wish they had an option for in-warehouse pickup, I would save so much on shipping!

Edit:  The other big one is about 45 mins away.

Edited by MicLima
Stuff

4 minutes ago, jackshidt said:

all these places, like pop market, barnes and noble (at least for some of their inventory) etc are serviced by the same distributor, who also runs their own retail customer facing business, DirectToU, LLC. ccmusic, ccvinyl, importcds, and deepdiscount at the very least are all part of DirectToU.  whether or not this ebay seller is under the DirectToU umbrella, i can't say for certain but I would say probably so. 

5 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

I won't belabor the point, this isn't the right thread and I don't think Vinyl Collective members really care that much, but in general terms, it goes back to the e-commerce concept of 'The Long Tail'.    (You could start reading here:  http://www.thelongtail.com/about.html .

Basically, when you go to an obscure Amazon.com listing and see there are 29 dealers offering new copies for sale at various prices, the truth of the matter is there might be only a single copy of this record, sitting on a warehouse shelf in Kentucky, and everyone is offering the same exact disc as if it was there own.

Most of VC's favorite dealers do not operate this way: they actually buy and hold the LP inventory they offer for sale online.   Most importantly, they know when it goes out of stock and can adjust their listings accordingly.   In the 'old days' of 2005, an active buyer of CDs or DVDs might receive cancel notices on 25% of their orders place with third-party sellers on Amazon.

29 minutes ago, MicLima said:

The funny thing is, this huge ass fullfillment center is literally 20 mins from me and it still takes 3-5 days for shipping.  Wish they had an option for in-warehouse pickup, I would save so much on shipping!

Edit:  The other big one is about 45 mins away.

Weird, it only ever takes 2 days to get to me in NE Ohio.