PO: RED HOUSE PAINTERS BOXSET

I emailed them Friday asking when they would know if they were going to fulfill these since others were already shipping and that the street date it Tuesday.  This is the response:

"We will know early next week, before the release date."

Doesn't make a lot of sense.  If they don't know yet, I assume they're getting zero.

I had no luck tracking down copies today. No surprise really.

For anyone who wants to torture themselves, Norman in Leeds puts up what they still have in stock and they still have at least one. You'll have to wait until midnight this coming Friday/Saturday, so you can make yourself miserable checking to see if they've sold out.

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/152788-red-house-painters-box-set-

So I wrote before about debating whether I might sell my copy or not, but right now, I'm actually thinking I got a bit hosed on the price from the store. I paid $250 CAD + tax, which worked out to $280. That's $230 US. When I walked into another store an hour later and saw the box for $200, then heard about another store selling for $180, plus all of the prices elsewhere, I started to think that this was just the store seriously hiking the price because RSD. The store I bought from is a new one, and I really like the guys that run it. I'm debating whether I should write to the store and just kind of mention this - if they had the same cost for the product as all other Canadian stores, then they just had a significant additional mark-up. There's nothing technically illegal related to RSD, but it is kind of shitty. I've bought from them three times over the last few months. Am I being a bit of a jerk emailing them about this and maybe asking for $50 back? I don't think it's unreasonable. Basically I paid $70 (CAD) per album. That's a fuckload of money for albums that are being repressed soon. And I'd like to think that as a new record store, they wouldn't want to alienate a local and potentially very loyal customer. And plus, even if I sold at cost, and I have considered this, it would be $275 US to send it to someone, shipped, which is borderline flipper prices. 

Sorry for the rant. Opinions welcome. 

That's crazy. Some stores in the UK were selling it for £99 or £120, which I find baffling. The one store I got mine changed it to £99 a few days prior to RSD which was a relief. Even for other releases there was a considerable mark-up difference from store to store across London. In your case though, if you don't want it, see if you can get a refund. Explain your reasons why (extreme mark-up etc) and see what they say. Maybe they made a mistake pricing it.  

So I wrote before about debating whether I might sell my copy or not, but right now, I'm actually thinking I got a bit hosed on the price from the store. I paid $250 CAD + tax, which worked out to $280. That's $230 US. When I walked into another store an hour later and saw the box for $200, then heard about another store selling for $180, plus all of the prices elsewhere, I started to think that this was just the store seriously hiking the price because RSD. The store I bought from is a new one, and I really like the guys that run it. I'm debating whether I should write to the store and just kind of mention this - if they had the same cost for the product as all other Canadian stores, then they just had a significant additional mark-up. There's nothing technically illegal related to RSD, but it is kind of shitty. I've bought from them three times over the last few months. Am I being a bit of a jerk emailing them about this and maybe asking for $50 back? I don't think it's unreasonable. Basically I paid $70 (CAD) per album. That's a fuckload of money for albums that are being repressed soon. And I'd like to think that as a new record store, they wouldn't want to alienate a local and potentially very loyal customer. And plus, even if I sold at cost, and I have considered this, it would be $275 US to send it to someone, shipped, which is borderline flipper prices. 

stores are trying to make money.  they get hosed on a lot of RSD stuff, I presume, and when they get one or two copies of something in high demand, i can understand why they mark it up like this.  its really shitty, no doubt, but they were going to sell it at that price in their store or on the secondary market, they may refund you and take the item back but i wouldnt think they would give you anything back.

return it?  i paid $190 canadian here on the west coast.

Honestly? You have poor self control and want to blame a store? Where was the gun held to your head saying you had to pay the price the store was charging? You made a mistake. Learn from it. Realize that only you can decide how much something is worth to you. Until then, seek some help for your self control issues. You'll get a lot farther dealing with those than trying to get some store to give you money back because you can't tell yourself no.

I honestly got sad reading your rant. Good luck fighting your demons.

Just picked up a copy of this (and the new Speedy Ortiz) from Norman Records in Leeds, UK. They have 10 copies left, and I think they're selling their stock off online at 00:01 on Saturday. Or if anyone's in the area, you can just pop in and get one.

EDIT: For those of you DM'ing me asking if I'd be able to pick you up a copy, Norman have a 1-per-person rule on RSD stuff, and because I had a bit of a chat with the chap at the counter, I'm sure they'd recognise me and call me out on it. Apologies!

Honestly? You have poor self control and want to blame a store? Where was the gun held to your head saying you had to pay the price the store was charging? You made a mistake. Learn from it. Realize that only you can decide how much something is worth to you. Until then, seek some help for your self control issues. You'll get a lot farther dealing with those than trying to get some store to give you money back because you can't tell yourself no.

I honestly got sad reading your rant. Good luck fighting your demons.

I do have buyer's remorse in general about this, but that's my own problem. That's not what I'm miffed about. Honestly I feel worse knowing that an hour after I bought the record, I saw it for $70 less. I just feel a bit ripped off. Maybe because when I bought it, I sort of assumed the cost in Canada would be somewhere around $250, only quickly to learn that elsewhere in the city it was between $180-200. The store I went to is a new one, with friendly customer service, and one that I had hoped to regularly visit (and that I had been to a few times already). I feel in some ways that I was a little bit duped. Again, I'm not directly blaming them. They are a business. I am a consumer. They had what I want. In the moment, I didn't hesitate to buy it. That's my problem. But it's going to be harder for me to feel anything but ripped off going into that store again. 

That mark-up is devastating though.. I paid 100$ for this..

Yeah, it is. In Canada, I am quite used to paying marked-up prices to an extent, but this is basically more than double the price in the US. Even if you factored in all freight and taxes, its still wouldn't be near what I paid.

Thats fine, but don't blame the store. At the end of the day, no one forced you to buy it, so they have zero fault here.

This is true. I've decided I'm not going to write to them. I wanted to, but I don't know that I'll get much out of it.  In the end, I'm very likely selling it to a VCer at my cost, due to my buyer's remorse. Shitty part about that is that the cost that it will be more expensive for the buyer.

Anyways, sorry about all this. I think I needed to talk myself through all of this, because I've been feeling pretty conflicted over a fucking record, and that's pretty ridiculous. No need to follow up. If you think I'm an asshole or have a spending problem, I'd like to hope that neither are true, or only a little bit true.