Built to Spill - Untethered Moon

This is an "RSD first" release. Meaning that it was first made available on Record Store Day, but is not a limited release and will be available in large quantities for some time to come. I would assume, however, that all 500 blue copies went out in RSD shipments.

So, technically speaking, only copies purchased on Record Store Day should have a chance of being blue. Or at least they have the highest chance of being blue, considering there may have been a lot of these left on shelves after the event since it wasn't limited that I know of.

Most of that is just based on assumption, though.

What I'm saying is that it was pretty clear that the initial run would contain 500 randomly-inserted blue copies. It was also clear that the vinyl version of the LP was being released early on RSD. But nowhere was it ever said that the 500 blue copies were RSD exclusives. I'm only stating that some folks selling on Discogs and eBay have probably made the assumption that because they purchased it on RSD, it's limited (and maybe blue).

The band said: "Untethered Moon will be available on Vinyl this Saturday, April 18th in honor of Record Store Day. To find your local independent record store visit http://bit.ly/1cpfkkj. Get there early, we’ve hidden 500 transperent blue versions in with the first run of vinyl pressing."

If taking that and coming to the conclusion that blue copies would be available on record store day is an assumption than I guess we all made assumptions. Not annoyed at you btw, I know I can come off that way.

No sweat - the band's wording wasn't as clear as it should have been and when it was first announced, I searched for the announcement in many different places hoping for some clarity. 

The chances of finding a blue one on RSD are probably higher than a few weeks later, yes, but of course some stock didn't sell right away, and the "initial run" may not have been shipped all at once for RSD either. But still, the chance of finding a blue one new in store likely does decrease with time.

semantics

assumptions

wishful thinking

disappointment

Pleasure in knowing the music is great regardless of color.

Man, I'm starting to doubt that there are any blue copies at all. Almost everyone that has the blue listing on Discogs has less than 100 records, which makes me assume they're new collectors that just added the blue variant to their collection without fully reading the listing.

I haven't even seen a photo of one either.

• 2 weeks later...