Jump to content
freverend

Sigur Rós - ágætis byrjun expanded limited edition

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, iameasytofind said:

It comes with digital download for all music, it says:

 

84-page cloth-bound book
2 x lp: ágætis byrjun
2 x lp: live at íslenska óperan 1999
3 x lp: demos, rarities and early live recordings
digital download of all music

he was saying the physical set is too much money and he won't listen to the extras enough to pay for it, so the digital will be enough for him. he wasn't questioning whether the set came with digital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jrodan said:

he was saying the physical set is too much money and he won't listen to the extras enough to pay for it, so the digital will be enough for him. he wasn't questioning whether the set came with digital.

got you. there's the digital option, actually the 2LP version also includes digital downloads for all the live/demo tracks. will probably be available on spotify etc as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, iameasytofind said:

their instagram post says they are sr webstore exclusive, at least the numbered editions are. 

Ack. Times like this I feel bipolar. Part of me really wants this, as they're one of my favorites. The other parts says shut up fan boy, how many times are you really going to listen to that? It's just going to collect dust on your shelf until your six feet under.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, skycriesmary said:

Ack. Times like this I feel bipolar. Part of me really wants this, as they're one of my favorites. The other parts says shut up fan boy, how many times are you really going to listen to that? It's just going to collect dust on your shelf until your six feet under.

This is me as well.

 

I bought that RSD copy a few years back too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skycriesmary said:

Ack. Times like this I feel bipolar. Part of me really wants this, as they're one of my favorites. The other parts says shut up fan boy, how many times are you really going to listen to that? It's just going to collect dust on your shelf until your six feet under.

Echoing this.  Love the band.  Love this album.  But even as someone who occasionally springs for reissues, variants, and deluxe editions that I don’t really need... I can’t justify this one.  If there was more unreleased material, I could maybe be swayed.  I will undoubtedly check out the live performance of the album, but realistically just once or twice at most.  Really don’t feel compelled to use the funds or shelf space to physically own a copy of it.  And demo versions are cool or whatever, but I’d be lying to myself if I said I’d ever reach for them over hearing the magic that they’ve fully realized in the studio version of the record.

 

The presentation sounds great, and I’d love to get my hands on that hardcover art book. I think that if you don’t own already own copy of this record for whatever reason, and you have the wherewithal, this boxset would be a nice addition.  As someone who’s becoming increasingly aware of shelf space and also content with a copy for a while now, I can’t talk myself into it.  And for once I’m a little proud of myself since I seem to lack self-control with this band especially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Echoing this.  Love the band.  Love this album.  But even as someone who occasionally springs for reissues, variants, and deluxe editions that I don’t really need... I can’t justify this one.  If there was more unreleased material, I could maybe be swayed.  I will undoubtedly check out the live performance of the album, but realistically just once or twice at most.  Really don’t feel compelled to use the funds or shelf space to physically own a copy of it.  And demo versions are cool or whatever, but I’d be lying to myself if I said I’d ever reach for them over hearing the magic that they’ve fully realized in the studio version of the record.

 

The presentation sounds great, and I’d love to get my hands on that hardcover art book. I think that if you don’t own already own copy of this record for whatever reason, and you have the wherewithal, this boxset would be a nice addition.  As someone who’s becoming increasingly aware of shelf space and also content with a copy for a while now, I can’t talk myself into it.  And for once I’m a little proud of myself since I seem to lack self-control with this band especially.

 

this is the most derek post ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stoked it’s finally happened.  And I’m also not trying to diminish the hype for anyone who’s all about the demos and live cuts.  For my buck, though, and logical time spent on a turntable, the extra $120 for those 5 LPs isn’t worth it.  Your own mileage will vary and you shouldn’t let my personal stance impact your decision to spring for it, if you are.  Just sharing my thoughts and relating to other opinions.  Sigur Rós are incredible live and I’m sure the demos would be interesting to hear at least once.  Not like they’re total junk, I just think I can get by with MP3s or a stream.  Anyone who bought it without hesitant clearly has a larger Sigur schlong than I do and I’m okay with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jrodan said:

i mean, i can't honestly imagine it happening, but you wrote that and it made me laugh out loud for real.

I hope I didn’t imply that my opinion on this boxset’s value [to me] carries enough weight for anyone to consider for their own purchase.  My posts don’t have that much stock.  But in case they do...

 

It’s a good album!  Support the band!  Buy this thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Stoked it’s finally happened.  And I’m also not trying to diminish the hype for anyone who’s all about the demos and live cuts.  For my buck, though, and logical time spent on a turntable, the extra $120 for those 5 LPs isn’t worth it.  Your own mileage will vary and you shouldn’t let my personal stance impact your decision to spring for it, if you are.  Just sharing my thoughts and relating to other opinions.  Sigur Rós are incredible live and I’m sure the demos would be interesting to hear at least once.  Not like they’re total junk, I just think I can get by with MP3s or a stream.  Anyone who bought it without hesitant clearly has a larger Sigur schlong than I do and I’m okay with that.

completely understand your point there. i just happen to be one who lacks self control but thankfully there aren't many bands that can make me splurge on a $100+ boxset. my only criticism of this boxset is the total lack of video content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It contrasts a fair bit with a few of the “had to buy this without blinking” posts (including yours) so I had no idea what to make of your comment.  I definitely do not consider myself to be “the buzzkill guy” on VC and do love me a good boxset — all the Radiohead boxsets, for me, have been complete no-brainers and worth the price of admission.

 

Listening to AB in honor of today’s announcement and the 20-year anniversary.  Chilly day with ample overcast from my view at work; pretty great fit.  I’d place it within the top 3 of their discography for me, and I know a few people who have it firmly at #1.  “Go big or go home” feels like a nice sentiment to have with this record, for anyone missing it from their collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×