Mumford and Sons - Wilder Mind

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like it. Enough to pick the record up when it's cheap.

I know how VC feels about their music, but I  love the first two records. I particularly love them for the sound they went for back then. These new songs sound okay, but there are plenty of records that I already have to turn to for this type of music.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a tough time making it through the album...not because it wasn't good compared to their other albums but because it just wasn't very good in general.  No energy, uninteresting melodies...I will say it's worth a listen for the curiosity factor of hearing them go electric but I kept thinking while listening to it that they missed an opportunity to make an exciting, engaging album.  If you're going to make such a significant instrumental/sound change, take advantage of it to blow people away with something really good..and this isn't.  

Just my opinion, I'm sure others will take to it.  

I have never been too big a fan of these guys, but have given each of their albums a listen. I know they went for a big change in sound on this one, a very conscious shift away from just about everything in their sound that made them big, and honestly, I didn't care so much that. But now I've been reading about how they think their old way of dressing, and their sound, and their band name are all dumb and they regret them all. That kind of thing pisses me off. It's basically like saying 'if you liked our old stuff, fuck you because we think you're an idiot for liking it, check out how we ripped off Coldplay'. They're obviously not the first band to change their sound, and I mean, I was a big ska fan in the late 90s, wherein by the time 2000 hit, they all turned into punk or rock bands with horns, disavowing their ska past. it bothered me then, but this is a much bigger scale. This is a band that easily plays to 20,000 people, many of whom are very casual music fans who may only go to one concert this year hoping to see Little Lion Man, but won't get to hear anything other than synthesizers. I have pretty much lost all respect for them as musicians, not for their transformation, but for how they've done it so dramatically while writing off their ascent to fame.

I got this in the mail yesterday and noticed that in addition to the generic white inner sleeve the LP itself is stored in, there was a thicker one with the name of the album printed on it. However, the thicker one is empty. I am a little confused on this. Do I have the option to use that one instead of the generic one? What confuses me about this is if that's an option why did it ever come with a generic one.

I got this in the mail yesterday and noticed that in addition to the generic white inner sleeve the LP itself is stored in, there was a thicker one with the name of the album printed on it. However, the thicker one is empty. I am a little confused on this. Do I have the option to use that one instead of the generic one? What confuses me about this is if that's an option why did it ever come with a generic one.

Is the generic one poly lined?  I've had a couple albums recently come with a printed sleeve but the actual disk came in a poly lined generic sleeve.  It's actually a good thing because printed sleeves tend to be pretty rough on records.

I don't know if I'd go to Pitchfork if I wanted a fair review of Mumford & Sons.

That being said,  I haven't picked this up yet but I've been hearing a lot of the songs on on Sirus XM The Spectrum this week (They are playing tracks from it mixed in all week).  The songs I've heard have been just OK.  And I really liked their first 2 albums.  Nothing is making me want to run out and pick this up.