The Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters thread

This is actually no way going to be a single LP. Stating 'LP' instead of '2LP' doesn't mean anything.

My assumption of it being a single disc is not because it says LP and not LPs. The listing on Amoeba shows Disc 1 Titles, so based on that I assumed it would be. I'm not claiming to know more than anyone else, just transmitting details as I find them. 

My assumption of it being a single disc is not because it says LP and not LPs. The listing on Amoeba shows Disc 1 Titles, so based on that I assumed it would be. I'm not claiming to know more than anyone else, just transmitting details as I find them. 

Oh alright I didn't catch that. It sure is misleading, but I think it's pretty safe to say that they're wrong.

Oh alright I didn't catch that. It sure is misleading, but I think it's pretty safe to say that they're wrong.

Based on what I've read about how badly other albums sound that have long running times but get shoved onto a single disc does make me cringe to think this could get ruined worse than the Plain Recs. version from 2009.

Plain usually masters from cd files. .hence...

So I've heard & read, but have never owned anything else put out by them so I have no other comparison. But anything 4AD or Vinyl Films blows that thing out in the sonic sense. I love that album considerably as it was my first exposure to Kozelek, so I really have a bit o' my heart invested in the idea of a "perfect" version one day. 

However, the SFABG packaging with the super thick cardboard gate fold on the plain recording is VERY SWEEEEET

I won't take that away from it for sure! I've always wanted there to be an actual credits list in the packaging though. We all know, or at least I assume we all know, that Kozelek is the only RHP on that album and the back up musicians are either Chuck Prophet's guys or studio Musicians like Billy Anderson & Bruce Kaphan. I think it's just proper to give the musicians the credit due.

Has anything Mark-related been unlimited?

Not sure honestly, but do remember Little Drummer Boy being limited to 10,000 disc....still find them for a dime a dozen everywhere lol. His live stuff never seems to be sold out beyond the reach of normal pricing. I'm not sleeping on a pre-order for a potetially higher quality version of SFABG though, especially when shipping is free!

Better to term this that the records would be "in print" or not, vs. limited/unlimited. As well, some of these releases may be unlimited pre-order but not an unlimited run count. So 4AD might take pre-orders for months, then tack on an extra 1,000 and that's the run. But unlimited puts an image in my mind of Koz records being pressed again and again on a regular basis, and I'm not sure that's plausible.

When it comes to record labels, they'll keep pressing up copies to meet demand. Once demand is met and everybody who currently wants a copy has a copy, then whatever remains in the warehouse is it for the time being. This is the way it works for most labels, indie or other. It could be years or decades before something is repressed, and a lot of that has to do with accumulated demand (or the frustrated tears of RHP fans).  

With this resurgence of vinyl, it seems every serious artist out there with an OOP back catalogue is getting the fancy vinyl treatment, but that doesn't mean it's going to stay in print forever. No label wants a warehouse full of product that is nothing more than a shrine to great vinyl fad of two-thousand-and-whatever.