The Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters thread

I had a 3 hour drive last night so I put on Jesu/Sun Kil Moon on and listened to the whole thing. Musically it has some good points but again the lyrics are so hard to get over. Some decent parts, but overall just weak. I did enjoy the song about Nick Cave son and death though

I have a copy of this on Rough Trade that I don't think I ever listened to. PM me if interested

P.S. Does anyone like the part of Mark's cameo on the Minor Victories record. Totally could have done without that but at least the duet Rachel makes it worthwhile

30 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

P.S. Does anyone like the part of Mark's cameo on the Minor Victories record. Totally could have done without that but at least the duet Rachel makes it worthwhile

I really like it, but it feels super out of place on the album.  Disrupts the entire flow.

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

I really like it, but it feels super out of place on the album.  Disrupts the entire flow.

The album is great and than he enters with his subpar crap and stupid storytelling. 

It's like he can no longer represent something without telling you his exact thoughts, where he was, what he did.

RHP was so powerful in writing thought provoking songs

9 minutes ago, filthyrich said:

Possibly controversial argument: Ghosts is better than any RHP release (even Roller Coaster and Ocean Beach).... But every SKM release after Ghosts is worse than any RHP release.  

And no I won't sell you my copy of Ghosts I bought for $12 back in the day.

Agree with this mostly, except I would say Ghosts and Old Ramon are on godly levels and everything else falls behind that

20 hours ago, filthyrich said:

Possibly controversial argument: Ghosts is better than any RHP release (even Roller Coaster and Ocean Beach).... But every SKM release after Ghosts is worse than any RHP release.  

And no I won't sell you my copy of Ghosts I bought for $12 back in the day.

I completely agree with this post. I don't think there's a huge gap between Ghosts and Ramon, but Ghosts is the best thing MK has ever done. Full stop.

I did my second sitting earlier today to finish off the album. Listening to disc 1 two days ago didn't really give me much motivation to do disc 2, but today I felt up for it.

Man, I don't understand why this has to exist. There was one song I liked (Bastille Day). I can't wrap my head around this thing; it made me laugh sometimes, but never because that was Koz's intention. 

I like Benji and never bothered to listen to UT or the Jesu record, so I don't know where along the way exactly he lost me, but I'm not even sure it's worth finding out.

I listened to a song or two and I guess I'm an anomaly in that I don't hate it so far. Granted not much to base an opinion on but still.... I guess I was always a fan of his earlier (anything) works. Somewhere along the line, I guess I stopped following him so feverishly and failed to develop much of a taste, or opinion of his work these last few years. I did see him live in Dec and have to admit that I enjoyed the show much more than I would have anticipated. I actually wanted to listen to all his newer releases from front to back, that's how much I enjoyed the show. I haven't listened to enough of the new album to contribute anything of merit. So far don't love it or hate it but its much easier for me to give it a chance because he isn't gonna remake GOTGH or any other SKM album of past  (obvious on first listen). I only wish he would label albums like these, under the proper moniker and that in my opinion is Mark Kozelek. My only complaint right now is that echoed by another poster, this isn't instrument based Sun Kil Moon.  It's basically another musical diary from Mark, which is his right, and far be it for me to complain. However label it as such and don't raise our hopes of something more along the lines of traditional Sun Kil Moon.

13 minutes ago, Mathyou99 said:

I only wish he would label albums like these, under the proper moniker and that in my opinion is Mark Kozelek. My only complaint right now is that echoed by another poster, this isn't instrument based Sun Kil Moon.  It's basically another musical diary from Mark, which is his right, and far be it for me to complain. However label it as such and don't raise our hopes of something more along the lines of traditional Sun Kil Moon.

But money.

On 2/19/2017 at 8:18 PM, Tommy said:

Agree with this mostly, except I would say Ghosts and Old Ramon are on godly levels and everything else falls behind that

I really like Old Ramon... and actually saw him on that tour. (Was that the last time Kozelek played with a full band?) But I'd put Ocean Beach and Roller Coaster ahead of it, just for personal preference. It's probably tied for third with Blue Guitar. 

The amazing thing at the time was that Ghosts came out of nowhere. RHP was caught in label limbo... MK put out a couple solo EPs that were mostly AC/DC covers (with a couple John Denver covers for spice)... Sub Pop finally releases Old Ramon and RHP promptly break up after the tour... And then Mark randomly announces a new project, on a tiny label no less. For a guy who recorded for 4AD, Island, and Sub Pop, putting out an album on "Jetset Records" felt like a huge step backwards.

And then we actually HEARD Ghosts... And damn, it was pretty much perfect. Couldn't wait for the follow-up.

And then, Koz being Koz, he never remotely returned to the sound of that record again.

12 hours ago, fish said:

I love Ghosts but am I the only one who thinks that April was his high point?

April is far and away his greatest release IMO, RHP included. Ghosts, while great, has too much filler. On April, every single song is essential and hits with force and beauty. The sequencing is also great, with Heron Blue offering a crucial pivoting point to the entire album.

I'm looking to trade a black Admiral Fell Promises (sealed) and--maybe--a gold Third and Seneca (open, but only played a handful of times). Send me a PM if you're interested! I'm looking for (realistically): Tonight the Sky, Lost Verses Live, The Finally LP

These are probably out of reach, I know, but, hey, if you're willing to talk: Ghosts, Tiny Cities, April, ATL, White Christmas/Little Drummer Boy

• 2 weeks later...