The Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters thread

Just now, GreatGreenOne77 said:

When I woke up to so many responses on this thread after such a long pause, my first thought was "Did he start singing again or something?".... Very happy someone finally realized they could get more cash from us by just putting out his better material again

It's so simple but took so long to be realised :P

1 minute ago, MrMatt767 said:

It's so simple but took so long to be realised :P

So true. I'd stopped buying his output after the first SKM/Jesu collaboration. His rambling is just not him and I doubt I will ever accept it, but I will wear holes in this repress for sure!

1 minute ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

So true. I'd stopped buying his output after the first SKM/Jesu collaboration. His rambling is just not him and I doubt I will ever accept it, but I will wear holes in this repress for sure!

It hurts me more as a completionist. I collected at least one version of every release up to Universal. I came to accept this is no longer viable, and I will just cherish Mark for what he used to be.

Just now, jack8urt0n said:

It hurts me more as a completionist. I collected at least one version of every release up to Universal. I came to accept this is no longer viable, and I will just cherish Mark for what he used to be.

I'm right there with you brother. I've been buying his material as fast as it could come up for pre order for years. My girlfriend still likes to pick on me for having like two shelves full of five & six copies of the same Koz records, but after Universal being such a let down and Jesu/SKM not living up to what I expected, I couldn't justify buying any of his new output. Still patiently waiting for Desertshore & MK to get a pressing....one day I tell myself, one day.....

Just now, daniele said:

Great call....That record is fantastic....

It's probably the only one of his "newer style" albums I actually enjoy, and it still took me a good minute for it to get it's hooks into me, but it's his last really solid album in my opinion honestly. The music in his new albums is still great, just that rambling, mumbling vocal style is just too much for me to handle. 

Very cool. I got into vinyl around Admiral Fell time and missed a couple of the originals. I've actually been paring my collection way down and would rather own these early pressings that I really like and shed the collector's debt of the others that I don't care for as much. I've put completionism far, far behind me. 

Which is actually a good time to mention that I have a few Koz records that I am planning to sell or have listed to sell so if you guys need to fill in some collection holes, be my guest. I'm asking around Discogs prices but mainly to fund other records or other hobbies. I have a Benji black, sealed, a Jesu/SKM black, and a copy of Drawing of Threes in orange. I'm also on the fence about selling my black Perils and sealed blue Among the Leaves. And I actually wouldn't mind selling my Nights of Passed Over book. 

And now I'll stop :)

I hope the reissue comes with the obi. I have an OG copy that is missing the obi, and it's in pretty good shape, only side a is probably a VG+., rest of it is NM. I paid about $110 for that and Tiny Cities together a few years ago. What I really want is a back up reissue copy of April, my favourite Koz record, so that I don't have to handle my existing copy like it's a precious artifact whenever I want to spin it!

I'm on the fence about his new material, I kind of like his rambling.. it can be pretty funny at times, and also pretty deep as well. I still drink the Koz Kool Aid and buy everything he puts on on vinyl. But I guess i'm crazy like that!