The Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters thread

23 minutes ago, Saxonjulin said:

Mark is totally trolling at this point. Making shittier and shittier music and seeing who stills buys his music 

Everything above the RED line took him 24 years to create

Everything below the RED line he's done in 6 years. Literally shitting garbage for breakfast at this point

y9NvaDi.jpg

2 hours ago, fish said:

After all these years of buying pretty much everything he has released I'm officially done. The awful album I bought last month marks the end of our relationship.

No one would fault you for doing so. You stuck it out longer than most I believe

Edited by Saxonjulin

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I don’t think we’re spoiling his music, he’s taken that upon himself 

I don't give two shits if I'm in some sort of minority, but Benji truly fucking SLAPS. The first few times I listened to that album front to back I teared up during the first four tracks. I thought those songs were a gift from heaven. But, now, I pretty much have stopped subscribing to his increasingly fast output of music.

Edited by tetsuodaironman

2 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

I don't give two shits if I'm in some sort of minority, but Benji truly fucking SLAPS. The first few times I listened to that album front to back I teared up during the first four tracks. I thought those songs were a gift from heaven. But, now, I pretty much have stopped subscribing to his increasingly fast output of music.

Benji is amazing. Cant take that away

18 hours ago, Tommy said:

Everything above the RED line took him 24 years to create

Everything below the RED line he's done in 6 years. Literally shitting garbage for breakfast at this point

y9NvaDi.jpg

Wow that pretty much sums up my exact cut off point. I didn't really dig Among the leaves but its the last one I bought outright. Benji was critically lauded n I gave it a few cursory listens but it never clicked. Partly because it is such a personal release. I get that its dealing with his actual family so I see the merit of naming individuals he knows in each song but somehow it isn't as relatable as other songwriters attempts to tackle grief and the fear of mortality and this at least for me is in part because of the inclusion of such specific minutiae, down the line that seems to have been the facet of the album he carried forward until we land where we are now: Records about buying churros from a gas station on his way to Nantucket.

Gimme April and Admiral Fell Promises re-issues and then I can stop opening this thread.

2 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Gimme April and Admiral Fell Promises re-issues and then I can stop opening this thread.

Omg. Can we get a head count on everyone else who only subscribes for this reason, at this point?

I actually already have AFP thanks to my wife but not April yet, the greatest of all.

2 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I stopped with the Christmas record, though I hated Benji and it’s live albums. I don’t think I enjoyed Among the Leaves that much. 

To me ATL was a huge letdown other than a couple tracks. But the collector in me still bought the rest until now. 

Perils is the only one on the bottom of that image that I can still listen to regularly.

Benji is a wonderful record but I don't really care for any of the stuff that came after. Unfortunately, it has gotten to the point where I just glaze over the news of a new Mark Kozelek album coming out, which is a shame because the dude has made a few of the best albums I've ever heard. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw his show last night and he was great. He doesn’t really play guitar just stands and sings/raps with a guitarist/pianist accompaniment. Played mostly stuff from self-titled and a few new tracks including a debut called “1983 MTV Is The Soundtrack of Outcasts Getting Beaten Up By Jocks” where he reignited the War On Drugs beef and sang about how Kurt Vile left them because he was too talented lol. 

Also so he’s really funny in person and is self aware of how many people hate him

Edited by museummouth

15 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Saw his show last night and he was great. He doesn’t really play guitar just stands and sings/raps with a guitarist/pianist accompaniment. Played mostly stuff from self-titled and a few new tracks including a debut called “1983 MTV Is The Soundtrack of Outcasts Getting Beaten Up By Jocks” where he reignited the War On Drugs beef and sang about how Kurt Vile left them because he was too talented lol. 

Also so he’s really funny in person and is self aware of how many people hate him

...so, below the red line 'great' then.