Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

First time listening via headphones right now. There is a serious mid-70s-studio-genius-all-analogue-recording-kinda-thing going on production-wise which I dig a whole lot. Not sure if this thing might just be half an hour too long for my taste, but damn this is so unexpected and truly outstanding in so many ways.

Can someone tell me why is this album/dude so good/popular/groundbreaking?

Also, I'm not into hip-hop at all, and the lasthip hop record i could listen through was 19 Naughty III, but still...

He's a pure story teller, and it's extremely powerful. Mix that with an extremely unique style/sound/flow and the production of dr dre, and there's really nothing to not get.

Can someone tell me why is this album/dude so good/popular/groundbreaking?

Also, I'm not into hip-hop at all, and the lasthip hop record i could listen through was 19 Naughty III, but still...

Sheer talent, vision, cultural relevance, musically progressive

This record has more in common with Curtis Mayfield or Prince than any hip-hop record from the last 20 years

can someone tell me why you are posting in this thread if you don't care about the genre? 

I mean I'm reading it as they're just curious. Kendrick is on the cover of Rolling Stone right now, final musical performer on Colbert, performed on SNL last year without an album being released, all over the internet because of his "surprise week early release"... so he's quite well known in the world right now. If you aren't a fan of hip/hop and want to know what he's got going for him, I think this would be a good place to do it.

I'm digging the album. A piece Stereogum had up on it called it "post-rap" and even though I'm not 100% certain what that means it does sum it up well. Some stuff I love here but it's more of a headphones album than a pumping it with the windows down album. Critical response has been pretty universally positive as it seems to be here. Real interested to see how the mainstream responds. It's rare for me to care about an album release this big so I'm enjoying the whole ride.

God Damn. This album is incredible it's exactly what hip hop has been needing I just hope mainstream doesn't flop on him.

This is the first time i've really been excited about hip hop in a few years it's the type of progressive foreword thinking hip hop needs right now. Not that kitschy,Materialistic,narcissistic kanye bullshit 

Can someone tell me why is this album/dude so good/popular/groundbreaking?

Much like Kanye and Drake, he could put out anything at this point and the masses would eat it up, especially people who don't listen to hip-hop. It's cool to like his music. I can see why the production on here is appealing, but the lyrical content is extremely average and repetitive to me. I fail to see how he's this amazing storyteller. He shows flashes of being great (see HiiiPower), but he hasn't put it together yet in my opinion.    

Much like Kanye and Drake, he could put out anything at this point and the masses would eat it up, especially people who don't listen to hip-hop. It's cool to like his music. I can see why the production on here is appealing, but the lyrical content is extremely average and repetitive to me. I fail to see how he's this amazing storyteller. He shows flashes of being great (see HiiiPower), but he hasn't put it together yet in my opinion.

Did you even listen to GKMC? I can understand someone not getting TPAB but to fail to see the storytelling skills on GKMC speaks to your ignorance of the genre not Kendrick's supposed shortcomings as a lyricist.

Much like Kanye and Drake, he could put out anything at this point and the masses would eat it up, especially people who don't listen to hip-hop. It's cool to like his music. I can see why the production on here is appealing, but the lyrical content is extremely average and repetitive to me. I fail to see how he's this amazing storyteller. He shows flashes of being great (see HiiiPower), but he hasn't put it together yet in my opinion.    

giphy.gif