Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

College Dropout and MBDTF were absolutely game changers!

I'd call Graduation (really brought the synth style of production back to hip hop), 808s (has influenced so, so much since then, autotune and that style of production has just blown up since then), and Yeezus (darker, heavier beats, a mainstream artist going against the mainstream) are influential and game changers in their own way too. 

i, king kunta, alright- all fantastic stand alone tracks. 

also, every track on the album is better than anything kanye has done this year. and that's coming from me..

getting ready for bladie to make a dumb comment, SO READY FOR THIS

this is a really great album but i'm not sure how much i'm going to listen. it's super dense and can only really be taken as a whole. the beats are amazing, everything else needs a while more to take in. u is my favorite at this point.

You definitely are the type of person to praise Kanye West. That makes sense. You know who says stuff like you said about him? Suburban white dudes.

You definitely are the type of person to praise Kanye West. That makes sense. You know who says stuff like you said about him? Suburban white dudes.

The only time I see people treating Kayne like anything but the dumbass he is is on here. Maybe I don't get around much but damn.

Calling Kanye a dumbass is one thing (it's often justified) but discrediting his entire musical output - as many people do - is just wrong. For example, that Glastonbury outrage? Madness.

Anyway, I'm not sure if TPAB is better than GKMC. I've heard it 3x so far and I haven't listened to the album tracks on separate occasions yet (excluding, TBTB and King Kunta). One thing's for certain though, this record is something else. I'm eagerly anticipating Kanye's album (as well as so many other artists' upcoming releases this year), but it's gonna be hard to top this record.

The only time I see people treating Kayne like anything but the dumbass he is is on here. Maybe I don't get around much but damn.

He is actually damn-near universally praised by the critical community for some reason.

I don't get it either. Kanye's a good producer, but he's a terrible lyricist. And while it's not relevant, he's basically the most thoroughly annoying person alive.

On topic: This Kendrick album is very good.

Not only here.

Yeah, I guess I don't get around much. I mean obviously people think highly enough of him for him to sell so many records. I probably only find myself reading about him on here or something. Oh well, ignore what I said. I don't need Casey schooling me on how dumb I am lol.

well that would make sense since i am one. there a problem there?

dude, you're fucking posting on a vinyl collecting forum

Oh indeed, you're list is very underground.   I realized the minute that I clicked post that I had screwed up on my terminology.   I guess the verbage I was looking for is conscious.   Thus why the majority of my favorite mainstream albums came in 94' or prior (The Score, Illmatic, Buhloone Mindstate, Black Reign,ext)... granted there are other albums from the mid-nineties I could easily add to my list (Pieces of Man, Me Against the World, ext). 

The Score came out in '96 bruh...

why the fuck are we talking about horrorcore in here

also the fact that no kanye records were mentioned is pretty much a joke, it's pretty much universally recognized that several of his records are game changing classics

If we really want to talk a Kanye masterpiece we should talk about Common's Be... Nothing like Dilla and old Kanye beats. THAT was a game changer right there!

also the fact that no kanye records were mentioned is pretty much a joke, it's pretty much universally recognized that several of his records are game changing classics

Yeah... if you like you're hip-hop drenched in auto-tune and self absorbed and bland lyricism.

I'm with you on u though.   Most likely my favorite track as well.