Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

Yeah... if you like you're hip-hop drenched in auto-tune and self absorbed and bland lyricism.

I'm with you on u though. Most likely my favorite track as well.

Lmao. So we are gonna ignore College Dropout, Late Registration, and Graduation? Little to no AutoTune.

Lmao. So we are gonna ignore College Dropout, Late Registration, and Graduation? Little to no AutoTune.

Nah, I actually like the first three.  Just feel his later work is the stuff that gets most of the acclaim from the critics.  College Dropout too, but not on the same level (or at least, more so in retrospect).  And I'd argue it wasn't really a game changer either.  More like an extension of his production work with people like Common & Jay-Z. 

Honestly, Be and the The Blue Print are the best things he has been involved with in my book.

No interest in Kanye as there are literally a million more artists that have more talent and integrity than him , no joke.

Furthermore, it should be known that no true genius ever says "I'm a genius". They just are highly intelligent and that is honestly reflected in their work.

Nah

Gonna state the obvious one first: MF Doom, Curren$y, Freddie Gibbs, Earl Sweatshirt and Eminem (pre Recovery).

LOL

You're listing rappers that you like more, not ones with more talent

Everyone you listed is talented and I love them but they're nowhere near as prolific as Kanye

The only one you can argue is Eminem (and i'd say TES and before, encore blew)

LOL

Everyone you listed is talented and I love them but they're nowhere near as prolific as Kanye

They all blow Kanye away talent and story telling wise. I think you have the wrong definition of prolific, everyone except Earl has more songs than Kanye. Curren$y especially since he's probably the one you know least about.

This is a really good album. I haven't finished it yet (gonna have to save the last three tracks for work tomorrow), and I'll definitely need to listen to it front-to-back two or three more times to have a solid opinion on it, but it's probably gonna end up in my top 10 list this year.

I'm just gonna ignore the other things that are up for discussion, for now at least.

This is a really good album. I haven't finished it yet (gonna have to save the last three tracks for work tomorrow), and I'll definitely need to listen to it front-to-back two or three more times to have a solid opinion on it, but it's probably gonna end up in my top 10 list this year.

I'm just gonna ignore the other things that are up for discussion, for now at least.

Fuckin A not enough talk about the topic of this thread, get yo repetitive rap debates outta here 

These Walls is such a fucking sexy track, mmm gonna make love to it.

Then it is followed up by U better turn that shit off before things get too intimate

Furthermore, it should be known that no true genius ever says "I'm a genius". 

Amen. 

Granted, having a giant gapping douche where his head should be does taint my perspective of him a bit, but Kayne is far and away the most overrated in the game.   And I actually kind of like some of his music (that doesn't utilize the atrocity that is auto-tune).    You wanna get me started rapper's whose music I actually hate, and I"ll give you a solid rant about Drake, Lil' Wayne or A$ap Racky.  

Than again, I followed Macklemore up through the underground and have spent a decent amount of time over the past couple years defending him.  So what the fuck do I know.

LOL

Might want to do your homework on MF Doom and all his aliases/projects

Amen.

Granted, having a giant gapping douche where his head should be does taint my perspective of him a bit, but Kayne is far and away the most overrated in the game. And I actually kind of like some of his music (that doesn't utilize the atrocity that is auto-tune). You wanna get me started rapper's whose music I actually hate, and I"ll give you a solid rant about Drake, Lil' Wayne or A$ap Racky.

Than again, I followed Macklemore up through the underground and have spent a decent amount of time over the past couple years defending him. So what the fuck do I know.?

Obviously not enough about good hip hop

Can we stop playing "which VC'er has the biggest hip hop dick" in this thread and get back to talking about the Kendrick album?

YES. 

To get it there, I kind of thought Pitchfork's review was kind of wack. It didn't really discuss the album in detail enough to warrant a 9.3. 

I was expecting Pulitzer prize quality, but maybe a more in-depth review for such an anticipated album. 

YES. 

To get it there, I kind of thought Pitchfork's review was kind of wack. It didn't really discuss the album in detail enough to warrant a 9.3. 

I was expecting Pulitzer prize quality, but maybe a more in-depth review for such an anticipated album. 

I agree. Their reviews are long in general and while this one wasn't short, I expected a more detailed one for sure. Plus, I thought they'd give it a bit of a higher rating (although 9.3 is fair enough I guess - I still don't know what rating I'd give TPAB).

Needle Drop and Big Quint tho.

YES. 

The Needle Drop did a pretty solid job of breaking the album down. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought it was a good review: