Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

Yeah. I can't really imagine listening to this album out of order. I'm sure it's fine, but this album is REALLY good in order.

While this album is a perfect example of why an album should be listened to in full, front to back, I know not all albums are like this--especially a number of mainstream releases since the turn of the century. There are plenty of spot albums you can spot listen to, but it's a little disheartening when an album like this comes along, and a bootleg releases doesn't adhere to the original tracklisting.

Perhaps the tracks are lengthy enough to not fit reasonably in 2xLP without "squeezing" the grooves. 

I did the math and guessed about where they'd likely split the sides. Longest would be side number 4, at around 21 minutes. Very doable.

So I wouldn't worry about having to shell out extra for a triple LP. I'm far more concerned about how it's going to sound. That GKMC pressing is pretty mediocre.

• 3 weeks later...

They were selling the boot at the record store I went to in Austin on RSD. I confirmed it was the boot with one of the guys working there and he said yes it was but also claimed this is the "official / unofficial version of the album." He said he doubted we'd see another release and that it was done by the same people who did the Channel Orange bootleg, which he claimed was also the "official / unofficial release." When I asked what he meant by that, he said the artists were letting the albums go the bootleg route intentionally to cut through the red tape of the studio pressing them because they apparently wanted to release both albums in uber-expensive box sets. 

This could have been complete BS, but I also wouldn't be surprised if this sadly ended up being another "Chanel Orange" situation and I thought I'd pass it along either way.

Both this and Section 80 deserve official releases.  And yes, high quality too.... GKMC ranks up there with the Fugees' The Score for noisiest album I own that was purchased new (what is it with hip-hop albums and lackluster releases?).

Because

1. I doubt they care much for vinyl or the people that collect it, as I imagine it would make up a very small percentage of their fanbase. 

2. They know that those people will buy it regardless of what it sounds like. 

Because

1. I doubt they care much for vinyl or the people that collect it, as I imagine it would make up a very small percentage of their fanbase. 

2. They know that those people will buy it regardless of what it sounds like. 

Award for most depressing yet accurate post of the day goes to you sir

My GKMC sounds TERRIBLE

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment, but if Rhymesayers and other underground labels are capable of putting out every release in a quality manner and selling through those, it would indicate that there is an audience/demand for larger artists like Kendrick on wax.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment, but if Rhymesayers and other underground labels are capable of putting out every release in a quality manner and selling through those, it would indicate that there is an audience/demand for larger artists like Kendrick on wax.

I agree with what you're saying, but I also believe Rhymesayers has a much larger hold on legitimate music fans, which is why their vinyl releases sell well.

I agree with what you're saying, but I also believe Rhymesayers has a much larger hold on legitimate music fans, which is why their vinyl releases sell well.

I'd see where your coming from... if we were talking about club rap or whatever... but when it comes to people like Kendrick and Chance, the crossover appeal definitely dwarfs anybody on the Rhymesayers label.   Pitchfork reviews alone (they hardly ever give a positive review to a Rhymesayers release) ensure that.

I think the more likely answer does lie somewhere along the lines of... the (mostly older) artists on Rhymesayers value vinyl as a platform because they grew up during the height of turntablism whereas the kids from TDE, Odd Future, ext who grew up during the mixtape era don't. 

That doesn't mean there isn't a high demand for their work on vinyl or that it wouldn't sell (very) well though.

Every time this thread gets bumped I leave disappointed. 

I still can't fathom why they would fuck with the tracklist on the bootleg.

Just like how they fucked the track list on the only official Lateralus pressing. On each release, the correct track listing would fit when split onto four sides.