Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

Much like Kanye and Drake, he could put out anything at this point and the masses would eat it up, especially people who don't listen to hip-hop. It's cool to like his music. I can see why the production on here is appealing, but the lyrical content is extremely average and repetitive to me. I fail to see how he's this amazing storyteller. He shows flashes of being great (see HiiiPower), but he hasn't put it together yet in my opinion.    

Not to harp on the comparisons but Kendrick is miles ahead of Kanye or Drake lyrically.  Only thing I can say for Kanye is his subject matter can also be culturally and politically relevant, which is one of the greatest things about Kendrick's album. You cannot deny that there is voice in this album that must be hitting people on a personal level.

So what I'd say about this album is that it is culturally relevant and ambitious in its production coming from a quality artist.

Much like Kanye and Drake, he could put out anything at this point and the masses would eat it up, especially people who don't listen to hip-hop. It's cool to like his music. I can see why the production on here is appealing, but the lyrical content is extremely average and repetitive to me. I fail to see how he's this amazing storyteller. He shows flashes of being great (see HiiiPower), but he hasn't put it together yet in my opinion.    

ibvwNmQP7HDe0m.gif

I never really feel overwhelmed when listening to music, but damn, I feel like so much is going on here that it's hard to digest. I'm a very casual rap/hip-hop fan but this feels like an important album I actually would like to spend time with & understand it. And I think that speaks a lot to his talent.

Agree with everyone talking about the importance, complexity, and overwhelming quality of this album. As a casual listener looking for some background music I was pretty disappointed, but it hit on a whole different level after sitting down and really paying attention to it. Here's a great review...

http://www.teambackpack.net/to-pimp-a-butterfly-album-review-this-time-for-real-nothing-will-be-the-same

So after listening to the full album front to back a few times I'm 50/50. The message, lyricism, and overall artistic piece is incredible. I feel like the best part of album is also a hindrance for me though. This album is begging to be heard as a whole work, not as specific singles like most artists produce now. In this way I think the album overall is incredibly strong, each part is the building block for the next song. That being said I still feel like there's some potholes on the album that don't really do anything for me and are only alright since it's part of the overall narrative the album tells. 

Mostasteless, Season Of The Pumpkin, Operation Doomsday, Dr. Octagonecologyst and Pinata.

First off, Season of the Pumpkin is 94 (though perhaps it came after both The Score and Illmatic and thus still fits).  Either way, your list is solid but I don't see how putting Season of the Pumpkins, Dr. Oct, Twisted or, for that matter, Pinata is any more crazy than putting this in a top 5. 

For the record,  post 94/not counting Pimp, my list would probably be:  Labor Days, A Piece of Strange, Stankonia (or Aquemini), Section 80 and Shadows of the Sun.   So clearly I lean to the underground. 

First off, Season of the Pumpkin is 94 (though perhaps it came after both The Score and Illmatic and thus still fits). Either way, your list is solid but I don't see how putting Season of the Pumpkins, Dr. Oct, Twisted or, for that matter, Pinata is any more crazy than putting this in a top 5.

For the record, post 94/not counting Pimp, my list would probably be: Labor Days, A Piece of Strange, Stankonia (or Aquemini), Section 80 and Shadows of the Sun. So clearly I lean to the underground.

First, the only reason I came at your post hard is you said the best in 20 years which means you rank this higher than Madvillainy (left off my personal list due to only having 5 spots but I do recognize it is far better than anything I listed.) and countless other albums. Second, DOOM aside, would you not agree my list is pretty underground? I would bet $5 nobody could tell me who put out SotP without google. I've met only a couple people who know anything about HoK. Kool Keith can be argued for being well known though, dude is a legend.

First, the only reason I came at your post hard is you said the best in 20 years which means you rank this higher than Madvillainy (left off my personal list due to only having 5 spots but I do recognize it is far better than anything I listed.) and countless other albums. Second, DOOM aside, would you not agree my list is pretty underground? I would bet $5 nobody could tell me who put out SotP without google. I've met only a couple people who know anything about HoK. Kool Keith can be argued for being well known though, dude is a legend.

You must not know many ninjas. Whoop whoop!!!!