Records from bands you didn't know were so expensive/rare until joining VC

Tom Petty - Wildflowers. It was first on my list of records to get. After I got my Pro-Ject all hooked up I went online to purchase it...Little did I know it was out of print and going for over $250 on Ebay. Crushed all my dreams. Being a somewhat popular album I had no forethought to investigate pricing beforehand. Oh well, I'll wait patiently for the reissue....

I had NO idea Brand New's fanbase was so big and rabid until I started posting here. Only heard of them in passing before because they did a horrendous Built to Spill cover

I also had no idea that they were such a big deal on here. I've listened to them for quite some time and really enjoy Brand New, and I knew they were somewhat popular, but it seems like almost everyone on VC owns or wants to own a record by them.

I never would've guessed how much Sing The Sorrow and Decemberunderground were worth. It's nuts.

Same here.

I wonder if the huge cost of some of these records has to do with nostalgia.  I know Blink-182 albums aren't considerably more expensive than a lot of stuff posted in this thread, but I wouldn't have imagined that people would be lining up to purchase Take Off Your Pants & Jacket new for $50 13 years later.

I had NO idea Brand New's fanbase was so big and rabid until I started posting here.

Same here.  I knew people liked them, but not in the magnitude that they do.  I also didn't realize that people actually liked Linkin Park either.  That is still flabbergasting to me.

Same here. I knew people liked them, but not in the magnitude that they do. I also didn't realize that people actually liked Linkin Park either. That is still flabbergasting to me.

Ive met like two people ever who didn't like Brand New (having heard them of course), so that's no shocker to me. But Linkin Park throws me off guard. Same with Pearl Jam. Like, the fuck?