Records from bands you didn't know were so expensive/rare until joining VC

Ive met like two people ever who didn't like Brand New (having heard them of course), so that's no shocker to me. But Linkin Park throws me off guard. Same with Pearl Jam. Like, the fuck?

Pearl Jam wrote Black (opinion but bash away), so all of their awful stuff is made up for by that. I can't say the same about Brand New. It's just terrible music that I only picture people listening to to get emo girls in bed. I don't hang out with anyone in real life who likes them, so at least I never have to put up with them.

I don't get the crazy prices on most of the stuff this board is into.

The one that really blew my mind though is Fear Before The March Of Flames - The Always Open Mouth. That record did not sell fast when it came out. I ended up with two copies at one point. Sold both for probably 10 or 12 bucks a piece. I guess I should have held onto them a few years longer.

I don't get the crazy prices on most of the stuff this board is into.

The one that really blew my mind though is Fear Before The March Of Flames - The Always Open Mouth. That record did not sell fast when it came out. I ended up with two copies at one point. Sold both for probably 10 or 12 bucks a piece. I guess I should have held onto them a few years longer.

I'd give you a crisp $100 for one of them now. I bought the CD the day it came out, and wore a fuckin' hole through it. Unfortunately I didn't get into vinyl until 2012. Its not my favorite album ever or anything, but I would probably be willing to pay more for that on wax than anything else. I was lucky to see them tour that record too.

Ive met like two people ever who didn't like Brand New (having heard them of course), so that's no shocker to me. But Linkin Park throws me off guard. Same with Pearl Jam. Like, the fuck?

Pearl Jam were hugely popular in the 90's, so it's understandable that they would still have a sizable fanbase now (they do a good job retaining that fanbase too). People who were into them back then and still into them now are likely in a demographic with more disposable income and can afford to pay the ridiculous prices their mid-career albums are going for now. 

It still boggles my mind that they haven't done a repressing of No Code through Avocado - there's so much money they're leaving on the table.

I've never met a single person who liked Brand New. I suspect we're separated by a couple decades. :P

I've never met a single person who liked Brand New. I suspect we're separated by a couple decades. :P

Possibly haha. Brand New is hugely popular amongst the early-mid 20s crowd in Indiana. I honestly think they're pretty overrated, even though I absolutely love three of their four records haha.

Yeah dude. Emo girls>>>

My shocker was They're Only Chasing Safety- Underoath and Dog Problems- The Format. They were both repressed and I bought both for under $30. Dog Probs was $200 before the repress.

Wow, I didn't realize TOCS was so valuable. there's an OG gold /100 for $275 on Discogs. I have the 180g clear HT repress, and it's $88 on Discogs. Jesus. I paid like $12 for that two years ago.

Any of the early 90s shoegaze, indie records from my youth that are now seen as seminal and collectible. Slowdive, MBV etc. As that was my era of growing up and collecting vinyl my friends and I were surrounded by these records and treated them pretty badly. Handled them sloppily, left out of the sleeves. Never in a million years did we imagine they would actually be worth anything.

Kind of like kids playing with Star Wars figures in the 70s.

Pearl Jam wrote Black (opinion but bash away), so all of their awful stuff is made up for by that. I can't say the same about Brand New. It's just terrible music that I only picture people listening to to get emo girls in bed. I don't hang out with anyone in real life who likes them, so at least I never have to put up with them.