Records from bands you didn't know were so expensive/rare until joining VC

Mine would be Hot Fuss by the Killers, my local Hot Topic had one of the T-Shirt packages for the longer time to the point where it was on clearance for less than $15 at one point. Regret never picking it up.

That's the copy i have, I worked at hot topic when they just started getting into vinyl so I was lucky enough to grab some gems when they were clearanced out and used my discount on top of it. The most I spent on a record when I worked there was $25 and that was Thrice's "The alchemy index" on clearance.

I still can't believe Bloc Party's "the silent alarm" goes for as much as it does with how many pressings the've down and with how unimpressive the prices are for the rest of BP's discography. I love everything that band has put out and every other album Ive been able to find for more than reasonable prices.

Wow, I didn't realize TOCS was so valuable. there's an OG gold /100 for $275 on Discogs. I have the 180g clear HT repress, and it's $88 on Discogs. Jesus. I paid like $12 for that two years ago.

I just picked up a 1st press on eBay for a little over $100... and it's the Gold limited to #100!!! Seeing the reissue go for about the same price (and the rarity of this one) I figured it wouldn't matter. #whataBARGAIN

Still hate flippers and "inflation" though.

I just picked up a 1st press on eBay for a little over $100... and it's the Gold limited to #100!!! Seeing the reissue go for about the same price (and the rarity of this one) I figured it wouldn't matter. #whataBARGAIN

Still hate flippers and "inflation" though.

Yeah fuck flippers. I just can't believe that reissue is worth so much haha. Guess that goes to show you, never pass up a record haha

I remember when Gaslight Anthem was the big thing around here. I don't get the Band New fandom either. I have to imagine the people that paid big bucks for Gaslight Anthem stuff three years ago are feeling pretty dumb right now.

Yeah, a good friend of mine got into collecting Gaslight Anthem variants.  Last I heard he got pretty close to finishing his collection, with something like 25 different color copies of Sink or Swim.  At the height of the Gaslight Anthem phase I was trying to get him to sell it off but he wouldn't listen.  I'll bet he couldn't get half now of what he could have 2 years ago.

I had no idea that Fantasic Planet by Failure was worth hundreds until I saw it go for such prices on here.

Just looked this up and hoooooly shit.

Tom Petty - Wildflowers. It was first on my list of records to get. After I got my Pro-Ject all hooked up I went online to purchase it...Little did I know it was out of print and going for over $250 on Ebay. Crushed all my dreams. Being a somewhat popular album I had no forethought to investigate pricing beforehand. Oh well, I'll wait patiently for the reissue....

I'd say a lot of the 90s light alternative stuff like Counting Crows and Toad the Wet Sprocket. When I started really collecting I figured I could pick that kind of stuff up pretty cheap. Not so much.

Keep in mind that the 90s were a time where vinyl largely didn't exist, especially in the major label arena. Majors were very into getting their $19 for a CD and not so much into spending way more time, money and effort into pressing a couple thousand records for some old whitehaired dudes or other music nerds. Obviously the punk and other DIY-oriented scenes and some indie labels didn't totally give up on vinyl, but I mean it was a rough time. The only store I remember selling vinyl at all at the time (that wasn't a used record store) was Newbury Comics, and the one near me had literally one vinyl bin.

Never realized the demand for pop punk was so huge. Maybe it's not in the grand scheme of things, but for some reason this forum has a massive fanbase for that stuff.

Punk and punk-related genres have always been one of the holdouts where vinyl was still a serious thing after CDs cratered the vinyl market in the late 80s. It doesn't surprise me that pop punk is one of the areas where vinyl is big today.

Pearl Jam wrote Black (opinion but bash away), so all of their awful stuff is made up for by that. I can't say the same about Brand New. It's just terrible music that I only picture people listening to to get emo girls in bed. I don't hang out with anyone in real life who likes them, so at least I never have to put up with them.

Punk and punk-related genres have always been one of the holdouts where vinyl was still a serious thing after CDs cratered the vinyl market in the late 80s. It doesn't surprise me that pop punk is one of the areas where vinyl is big today.

My collection is probably 75% pop-punk. I really got into music when Enema of the State came out, when I was ten. So I've always been more partial to the genre.

Forgot about New Wave. Had to give the hunt for that one up!

I'm about at that level as well. 

I was shocked when I saw what it was going for. I actually picked up a copy from someone here years ago. I can't find the exact price because all those PM's were lost when the site transferred, but I swear I had them add it to whatever I was getting from them for $10. Who knew?

What does the Binary Star LP usually go for? I bought it back when it came out but I can't remember the last time I listened to it...

The cheapest Masters Of The Universe is going for right now is $121

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=179889&ev=mb&format=Vinyl