Ryam Adams - PAX AM Records

I dig this. It's not perfect, but I like that it's both different enough from the original album, while still pretty faithful, and very much sounds like a Ryan Adams album. I think the biggest two misfires on the album are Blank Space and Shake It Off - but in a lot of ways I think the pressure was highest to do something interesting with the two biggest singles. Blank Space, when stripped of almost everything, is revealed to be a pretty shallow and boring song. I wanted to like the version of Shake It Off, but all I could think of was this cheesy Canadian 80s version of Wild Horses by Gino Vanelli (not sure anyone else will know what the hell I'm talking about, but Google it, and you'll see the comparisons). 

As far as a full-album cover, I would see this as a success. Not a novelty or a joke, and definitely enough heart and effort to be taken seriously.

Ryan was interviewed on Zane Lowe [Taylor calls in] and announced his new album is done. Its a double album (21 songs) releasing in 2 parts (so it's easier to digest) and will be "more fragile" than Love is Hell

Stream the interview here

Awesome news on the new double album.

As for 1989, I like it. It's exactly what I expected it to be. Ryan Adams arrangements, production, and voice elevate the songs to an enjoyable listen for me. There are still some very empty lyrics, but I didn't expect that to change, and I'm okay with that. Ryan Adams is an artist I can listen to as background music, and appreciate his vocal delivery as another instrument, negating the lyrical affect to a certain degree. I enjoy his songwriting, but being a covers album I'm not analyzing the lyrics like I would one of his own projects. I'll be picking up the record in November.

Father John Misty pays tribute to the classic Ryan Adams album 1989 (in the style of the Velvet Underground):

https://soundcloud.com/fatherjohnmisty/blank-space

https://soundcloud.com/fatherjohnmisty/welcome-to-new-york

Completely hilarious, but kind of incredible.