Ryam Adams - PAX AM Records

2 hours ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Lmao, I got about 3 sentences in before I gave up.

go back to 4chan you fuckin mouth breathing victim blaming predator apologist. 

edit to say I read the entire thing and wow, what a predictably scummy take. 

fuck Ryan adams, fuck his new music, fuck his old music, fuck you too.

Wasn't expecting anything intelligent or reflected, so i'm not surprised by that response. You just stick that attitude, reality will not be kind to you.

I don't have any interest in listening to the new album regardless of the accusations... my interest in RA peaked at Heartbreaker with fewer results every record until he fell outta rotation completely. 

If I did still listen to his music, I don't think my moral  radar would be going wild over RA being a shitty boyfriend/husband or manipulating his way into bed... those things aren't illegal. But soliciting nudes from an underage girl is and that's what makes me say fuck this idiot forever. That's also because I can live without his albums. I still have Bowie and Zeppelin on occasional rotation, so I'm not some crusader of justice, apparently.

Not totally interested in "innocent until proven guilty" on this one though since he pulled that bullshit Trump play "stay tuned, all the facts will be revealed when the time is right!" and never mentioned it again.

Now assuming EVERYTHING he's been accused of is conjecture until proven otherwise, if we move pass "he used his fame to get laid and then was mean" or whatever and went straight to "he asked for naked pictures from a teenager!", gonna assume a lot more people would be on the same side of the argument on this one. Probably not everyone, though and to those people I sincerely say enjoy your mid-tempo country rock!

3 hours ago, Vega said:

Hey, woke master 2000 has entered the chat. I propose that everyone who likes his music gets their ears cut off and sent to a gulag.

Poor phoebe bridgers for going along with Ryan Adams's bad behavior...I bet he forced her to fuck him. Wait...he did by telling her he would help her with her career? Poor phoebe for having absolutely NO choice but to say "yes" to that one. Just say "fuck you" and leave him? Naahh, a career is waiting around the corner! She can still blame him afterwards, maybe even write a song about it! Oh, wait.

Is Ryan an honorable person after what he did? No, quite the contrary. And nor are the people who went along with it. If you don't agree with that you are a hypocrite, nothing more. People like phoebe bridgers showed him directly by going along that he can get what he wants, only that she also got what she wanted - a career start.

Now, if don't want to talk about his music or the new album you can get the fuck out of here and get back onto twitter to express your wokeness.

I truly don't understand how anyone can think this way. So in your opinion, having sex with someone who has exhibited red flags disqualifies you from ever criticizing them when they continue to demonstrate coercive, manipulative, abusive behavior, or said behavior worsens? And Phoebe Bridgers is not an "honorable person" because she made a business decision to still open for him/keep working with him for a time, amid clearly conflicted feelings she still had?

What you're essentially saying is that anyone who's ever been in an abusive relationship is complicit in their own abuse if they choose to remain in it. And if there's a power dynamic involved, that makes the person being abused even less "honorable" because their decisions are partially influenced by their livelihood. Is that what you're saying? Because that's how it comes across to every person reading that post, and I just want to give you a chance to not die on this victim blaming hill you've constructed for yourself.

The accusations were the last nail in the coffin for me with this guy.  The last 5 albums were crap and the slew of 7” ‘s were sub par.  

And this is coming from a former superfan.  I had the signed poetry books, the Orion LP, shirts, went to all the cardinals shows, all that shit.  

the music at the end just wasn’t there for me and the hopes of all that unreleased stuff ever coming out was out the window.  It was just a bum out I couldn’t look past.  

wish I could’ve got more for all those records

1 hour ago, straighttocutout said:

If I did still listen to his music, I don't think my moral  radar would be going wild over RA being a shitty boyfriend/husband or manipulating his way into bed... those things aren't illegal. But soliciting nudes from an underage girl is and that's what makes me say fuck this idiot forever. That's also because I can live without his albums. I still have Bowie and Zeppelin on occasional rotation, so I'm not some crusader of justice, apparently.

Not totally interested in "innocent until proven guilty" on this one though since he pulled that bullshit Trump play "stay tuned, all the facts will be revealed when the time is right!" and never mentioned it again.

So typically I can behind this, but when the FBI investigates you and haven’t charged you, it usually means there’s a reason why they didn’t charge you. 

Again, predator apologists suck. Fuck you if you align with them. Not gonna change my tune here.

but you RA fans here should be used to the same tired bitching and moaning over and over right?

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

5 hours ago, Tommy said:

Yeah, Vega, don’t you dare die on that hill, anonymously, in fear of the internet wokeys. Here’s your chance

You know, you're right, expressing a morally repugnant opinion is totally cool when done anonymously, and anyone who says otherwise is a PC cuck.

4 hours ago, untiliwakeup said:

I refer everyone to nick caves brilliant response about separating art from the artist. https://www.theredhandfiles.com/views-on-morrissey/

Yeaa but did morrissey’s views create traumatic experiences for people personally?

People can have their political opinions but sexual misconduct is a whole different beast.

but then again people still like Anthony kedis who had sex with an underage girl , mike Tyson who was convicted of rape, and James brown beat his wife with a lead pipe 

Edited by crossedoutname

It'd be rad if the dialogue here could continue the way the last few posts have.

I know this is the internet and it's super easy to curse at people and insult them without consequence. But I think it's way more interesting for people to disagree without telling each other to fuck off.

Whether one can/should separate art from the artist is a long running issue. I have my own take but it would be the height of hubris for me to get hostile and belittling towards someone whose views don't align exactly with mine.

It's not hard for me to understand that some folks can continue to enjoy the music of Ryan Adams notwithstanding reports about him. I also get why the absolutely abhorrent behavior that's been described is an instant "game over" for others.  I believe there's plenty of room for people of good faith to have different views about how this all impacts the music.

What I will never understand are the pro-Adams folks that try to excuse his behavior by pointing the finger at the victims of his behavior. I think that is absolutely wretched (yet, I can express this opinion without being uncivil). 

The last thing I want to mention concerns the allegations about Adam's online conduct with an underage individual. It was mentioned above (and among many other Adams fans) that the lack of any charges being filed somehow disproves the allegations against him. This is simply not true.

The February 2019 New York Times report confirms that Adams had sexually explicit exchanges with a minor. This included Adams exposing himself to her, requesting that she expose herself to him, giving nick names to her body parts, and expressing concern about the minor's mother finding out about their activities. How do we know this? Because the minor has screen grabs of all of this and it was independently verified by the NY Times, which has the receipts. Note that Adams has never denied this reporting. He has only denied knowing that the individual was underage.  The potential criminal charges would require proof that Adams knew he was soliciting a minor. This is not an easy thing to prove, which is certainly a plausible explanation for why charges have not been brought.  In fact, the NY Times reporting makes clear that on more than one occasion, Adams asked her to verify her age and she lied about being 18 (although he never forced the issue by requiring that she show him ID).  Many have been quick to point out that Adams very likely knew she was a minor (she was apparently well known on YouTube as a teenage music prodigy) and that Adams asking about her age was just an attempt to cover himself. 

Whatever you believe about Adams's actual knowledge, this uncertainty makes it easier to understand why charges were never brought.  None of this changes the fact that a 40-something man engaged in the conduct described above with someone he knew to be a teenager (and while he was married). Whether or not this rises to the level of chargeable criminal conduct, it is still, in my view, repugnant behavior for which he deserves to be judged.

Edited by jerseypride

32 minutes ago, jerseypride said:

It'd be rad if the dialogue here could continue the way the last few posts have.

I know this is the internet and it's super easy to curse at people and insult them without consequence. But I think it's way more interesting for people to disagree without telling each other to fuck off.

Whether one can/should separate art from the artist is a long running issue. I have my own take but it would be the height of hubris for me to get hostile and belittling towards someone whose views don't align exactly with mine.

It's not hard for me to understand that some folks can continue to enjoy the music of Ryan Adams notwithstanding reports about him. I also get why the absolutely abhorrent behavior that's been described is an instant "game over" for others.  I believe there's plenty of room for people of good faith to have different views about how this all impacts the music.

What I will never understand are the pro-Adams folks that try to excuse his behavior by pointing the finger at the victims of his behavior. I think that is absolutely wretched (yet, I can express this opinion without being uncivil). 

The last thing I want to mention concerns the allegations about Adam's online conduct with an underage individual. It was mentioned above (and among many other Adams fans) that the lack of any charges being filed somehow disproves the allegations against him. This is simply not true.

The February 2019 New York Times report confirms that Adams had sexually explicit exchanges with a minor. This included Adams exposing himself to her, requesting that she expose herself to him, giving nick names to her body parts, and expressing concern about the minor's mother finding out about their activities. How do we know this? Because the minor has screen grabs of all of this and it was independently verified by the NY Times, which has the receipts. Note that Adams has never denied this reporting. He has only denied knowing that the individual was underage.  The potential criminal charges would require proof that Adams knew he was soliciting a minor. This is not an easy thing to prove, which is certainly a plausible explanation for why charges have not been brought.  In fact, the NY Times reporting makes clear that on more than one occasion, Adams asked her to verify her age and she lied about being 18 (although he never forced the issue by requiring that she show him ID).  Many have been quick to point out that Adams very likely knew she was a minor (she was apparently well known on YouTube as a teenage music prodigy) and that Adams asking about her age was just an attempt to cover himself. 

Whatever you believe about Adams's actual knowledge, this uncertainty makes it easier to understand why charges were never brought.  None of this changes the fact that a 40-something man engaged in the conduct described above with someone he know to be a teenager (and while he was married). Whether or not this rises to the level of chargeable criminal conduct, it is still, in my view, repugnant behavior for which he deserves to be judged.

Listen. You come in here with your logic, civility, thorough points, and perspective and expect a response? This is VC. You either sling shade at otgers because they have different perspectives than you and your triggered, mouth-breathing perspective or you gtfo. Or cat gifs.

Just kidding. Very well worded. I personally won't with him (or the like), but I'm not shitting on anyone who does. I don't understand their take, because it's not cohesive to my experiences and perspective. But, that's kind of the point. It's all about perspectives. 

3 hours ago, crossedoutname said:

Yeaa but did morrissey’s views create traumatic experiences for people personally?

People can have their political opinions but sexual misconduct is a whole different beast.

but then again people still like Anthony kedis who had sex with an underage girl , mike Tyson who was convicted of rape, and James brown beat his wife with a lead pipe 

You can pretty much single out every classic rock band for sexual misconduct on one level or another. That’s what I hate about everyone singling out RA is, the music industry has been mostly free of the #metoo era criticisms even though it has been rife with sexual misconduct forever. Bowie raped 2 15 year olds, I’m assuming you aren’t listening to his music anymore? Led Zeppelin of course was well known to sleep with underage girls etc. 

im not saying it’s right. It’s in fact very fucked up.

But the music has always been separate to me. It’s meant something to me separate from who the artists are as individual people, if that makes sense?