Ryam Adams - PAX AM Records

32 minutes ago, untiliwakeup said:

You can pretty much single out every classic rock band for sexual misconduct on one level or another. That’s what I hate about everyone singling out RA is, the music industry has been mostly free of the #metoo era criticisms even though it has been rife with sexual misconduct forever. Bowie raped 2 15 year olds, I’m assuming you aren’t listening to his music anymore? Led Zeppelin of course was well known to sleep with underage girls etc. 

im not saying it’s right. It’s in fact very fucked up.

But the music has always been separate to me. It’s meant something to me separate from who the artists are as individual people, if that makes sense? 

I actually don’t listen to any of those bands anymore. Same goes with Brand New, Michael Jackson, and even idiots like Smash Mouth for playing a show during pandemic.

I just find other bands or artists that scratch the itch for me. When I hear songs like “Nobody Girl,” it really gets hard for me to relate to it like I did in the past. Instead, I’ve gotten into bands like centro-matic, or war on drugs, that resonate with me in the same way that his music did.

Same goes for, let’s say... “Pretty Young Thing,” by Michael Jackson.  I just can’t. But, instead of separating the music from the artist, I turn to the millions of artists out there NOT guilty of molesting children or soliciting nudes from underage people.

Hell, I even bail on bands and artists that behave abusively toward people. Sure, it may not be illegal, but I’m not gonna support and relate to an artist that objectifies his “friends,” dangles fame in exchange for sex (even if they do take the bait, it’s cringey), and belittles them when they don’t reciprocate? It’s just gross, and I can’t help but think about it when he’s crying in his lyrics about “look what I did to youuuu, look what you did to meeee.” 

Absolutely to each their own, but I think it’s fascinating to see that fans don’t realize he’s also very abusive toward them. Like someone said earlier, it’s kinda crazy how similar his behavior resembles that giant orange that just lost an election. Maybe there’s something to that?

3 hours ago, jerseypride said:

The potential criminal charges would require proof that Adams knew he was soliciting a minor.

I'm 99% sure this isn't true. Feels like I'd get put on a list just for searching it though.

The rules are just different for people who have money and fame.

34 minutes ago, jonnywreck said:

I actually don’t listen to any of those bands anymore. Same goes with Brand New, Michael Jackson, and even idiots like Smash Mouth for playing a show during pandemic.

I just find other bands or artists that scratch the itch for me. When I hear songs like “Nobody Girl,” it really gets hard for me to relate to it like I did in the past. Instead, I’ve gotten into bands like centro-matic, or war on drugs, that resonate with me in the same way that his music did.

Same goes for, let’s say... “Pretty Young Thing,” by Michael Jackson.  I just can’t. But, instead of separating the music from the artist, I turn to the millions of artists out there NOT guilty of molesting children or soliciting nudes from underage people.

Hell, I even bail on bands and artists that behave abusively toward people. Sure, it may not be illegal, but I’m not gonna support and relate to an artist that objectifies his “friends,” dangles fame in exchange for sex (even if they do take the bait, it’s cringey), and belittles them when they don’t reciprocate? It’s just gross, and I can’t help but think about it when he’s crying in his lyrics about “look what I did to youuuu, look what you did to meeee.” 

Absolutely to each their own, but I think it’s fascinating to see that fans don’t realize he’s also very abusive toward them. Like someone said earlier, it’s kinda crazy how similar his behavior resembles that giant orange that just lost an election. Maybe there’s something to that?

I honestly respect the hell out of you for this. Some of those bands music has meant too much to me to have been able to disown it. But we must actively challenge and call out these people.

8 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I'm 99% sure this isn't true. Feels like I'd get put on a list just for searching it though.

The rules are just different for people who have money and fame.

From NYTimes Report: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/arts/music/fbi-ryan-adams.html

Federal law bars the sexual exploitation of children under 18, defining a violator as anyone who “persuades, induces, entices or coerces any minor to engage in” a visual depiction of sexually explicit conduct. Several legal experts said that decisions on whether to prosecute such cases could hinge on whether the adult reasonably believed the minor was of legal age, taking into account context from their conversations.

35 minutes ago, untiliwakeup said:

I honestly respect the hell out of you for this. Some of those bands music has meant too much to me to have been able to disown it. But we must actively challenge and call out these people.

This is my point exactly. People are going to make their own decisions based on their own moral compass. We could go on all day with examples. Some people may shun the Beatles music because John Lennon was an admitted domestic abuser. Legions of others haven't let that get in the way of enjoying the Beatles. While I've taken Ryan Adams out of my rotation, I'm not about to get confrontational with peeps who can still get something enjoyable from his records.

51 minutes ago, jonnywreck said:

Hahah it’s the constant struggle. My friend toured with a lot of nominally successful pop-punk acts and it’s really pretty awful how much the majority of that genre is now dead to me.

At least it wasn't a good genre of music.

(lol, I'm sorry)

9 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

At least it wasn't a good genre of music.

(lol, I'm sorry)

Hah all good. Honestly gets hard to listen to some bands just because of cringe-worthy lyrics. One song I used to love was by this band called Silverstein that pretty much advocates using a suicide attempt to make an ex-lover feel bad and try to come back to them, which is just hard to reconcile even after several degrees of separation. So it really doesn’t come as much of a surprise for just about all of these bands.

18 minutes ago, ps. said:

I would prefer the European version with the cat 7-inch, but NOT for $60+....NO 😄

Edited by Plarocks

Speculation that the song "Birmingham" is about Jason Isbell:

Held her hand in old Savannah

Mirror-gold print on her dress

Her hair was combed and parted

Like a beautiful princess

I didn’t see you at the altar

Way back then, you were so drunk

You were washed up on some hooker’s bed

Behind a shitty restaurant

Bought her pretty clothes and diamonds

Like I was born to be her man

We were more than commentary

Or a cheap headline grab

So when the wind blows in your window

‘Cause the storm don’t give a damn

Pray the window don’t break across the wrists

Of your writing hand...

On the stationery wet with tears

Of the people’s backs you stab

When you’re hiding like a robber,

With no one’s purse to grab

Remember me standing there,

Holding out my hand

In a broken down motel in Birmingham

Here is my genuine thoughts and opinion, as a massive RA fan, probably the most influential artist on my life throughout the years. As I put on the first song on the new album, I tried to see how it would make me feel. 

I realized I didn't feel good. Then I realized, people in a position of power, are able to abuse others. Yes, people not in power also abuse, but those in power are more able, and more successful in doing so. Then I thought, how does someone get into power. In the case of artists, it's by supporting there music, buying records, listening, going to shows, buying merch. This gives them the power. If I choose to continue to do this, I give this artist more power to potentially hurt others. That is what doesn't make me feel good. It breaks my heart I had to turn off this album, and I will never be able to listen to all the music thats been such a big part of my life. But I simply cant support this notion.

Do what you want with this, but just know, if you contribute, you are likely contributing to the conditions for more abuse of power....

25 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So if I stream this album, I’m now responsible for soliciting underage nudes. Got it

Nah you’re good: https://thehardtimes.net/culture/man-only-listens-to-canceled-bands-on-spotify-so-he-doesnt-support-them-monetarily/

30 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

Ummmm what? Walk us through that logic.

Sure, I'd be happy to walk you through it:

Some people have a hard time separating the art from the artist and think you shouldn't consume the art of shitty people. Others prefer to separate the art from the artist and will continue to consume the art, possibly  while also acknowledging the artist is a shitty person.  

The general consensus is that Ryan Adams is a shitty person. As such, some argue his music should be cancelled. Others will still listen to his music because they like it and they feel like they can separate the art from the artist. 

The new song that was released today is really shitty. When a shitty person makes shitty art, it's really easy not to consume it. 

On the other hand, if the new song had been great, I probably would have bought the new album. 

1 hour ago, ntslash said:

Sure, I'd be happy to walk you through it:

Some people have a hard time separating the art from the artist and think you shouldn't consume the art of shitty people. Others prefer to separate the art from the artist and will continue to consume the art, possibly  while also acknowledging the artist is a shitty person.  

The general consensus is that Ryan Adams is a shitty person. As such, some argue his music should be cancelled. Others will still listen to his music because they like it and they feel like they can separate the art from the artist. 

The new song that was released today is really shitty. When a shitty person makes shitty art, it's really easy not to consume it. 

On the other hand, if the new song had been great, I probably would have bought the new album. 

But separating the art from the artist means one should not inform the other. You're listening to the music first and then grading the ease of your cancellation based on the art.

19 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

But separating the art from the artist means one should not inform the other. You're listening to the music first and then grading the ease of your cancellation based on the art.

Good god you’re dense.

21 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

I just don't understand the sentiment "the new song really sucks makes it a lot easier to cancel this guy."

It's weird take. If that makes me dense to you, that's ok.

I think what you're saying is that if someone is truly principled about "cancelling' an artist based on that artist's misconduct, why should it matter whether the music is good or lousy?

I think ntslash is candidly acknowledging that it's much easier to stick to your principles if you don't feel like you're sacrificing that much. 

Edited by jerseypride