Ryam Adams - PAX AM Records

3 minutes ago, timbrh2001 said:

Start destroying people's narratives you don't agree with through censorship and you wind up as North Korea. Why our founding fathers decided the first amendment in the Constitution was a swell idea.

Never has the free press been more under attack than under this administration. All this fake news bullshit. Trump won because he hijacked the religious right and they all bought his shit just like they buy there's a man in the sky controlling everything.

Edited by deftbarley

1 minute ago, deftbarley said:

Never has the free press been more attack than under this administration. All this fake news bullshit. Trump won because he hijacked the religious right and they all bought his shit just like they buy there's a man in the sky controlling everything.

Fake news absolutely isn't bullshit. Might as well call MSNBC the National Enquirer these days. The Left also understands that Liberal media is nothing more than State Department Propaganda as well.

Gonna unlock this thread. Treat each other like human beings. 

We don't care if you guys wanna talk about politics here, just don't blow up the report system about it. Put on your big kid shoes and leave the discussion if it bothers you. We don't need to be notified about a difference of opinion, someone disagreeing with your flavor of statism isn't harassment. 

Finally got around to listening to Wednesdays today and I really liked it.  It sucks that he's (by most accounts) such a dirtbag.  I don't think the general music-listening public is going to just let him back in this easily.  But back to the music, I definitely prefer the more "rock" Ryan Adams to this softer/folkier one, which is partially why I was surprised i liked this album as much as i did.  Either way it's just kind of amazing he can still make songs this good so deep into his career.

I was really surprised how quiet the album is. Have to admit that i canceled my pre-order for now, have to get used to the album a little more and was really looking forward to kind of a Prisoner sound, love the hell out of that album. But hey, if he still has one or two left in stock who knows, maybe we'll get another album next year!

Man, I kinda envy those of you that are enjoying it. I honestly have no problem with the folks that want to listen to him. I guarantee you we all support much more evil and horrible people than Ryan. But I've just lost so much respect for him because he had a chance to show he was a mature adult and show some sort of empathy or (at least) understanding. 

I just see him as the immature narcissist that he has always been, now. 

His music strikes more like sad, destructive loser than hopeless romantic now.

Toxic defensive personalities really just turn me off, and unfortunately, it overshadows his music for me.

EDIT: Whoa, Just looked back at the last few pages of this thread. 

Loving specific art doesn't mean you have to love the artist. It's okay to feel complicated thoughts about situations like this. Ryan has his own label. I believe he lost the deal he had with Capitol or whatever. He should be allowed to release music, it's up to record stores if they want to carry it. 

Like I said, for me, I'm just not enjoying his music like I used to. It's okay for those who do. But defending his actions or blaming the victims is bullshit. Ryan is a textbook narcissist. (A lot of prolific artists are). I've seen him play a show where he was a total dick. I've also (in the last few album cycles) seen him be really gracious and friendly and put on an awesome show. 

Narcissism and bipolar disorder often overlap. The highs are high and the lows are low. He clearly has some mental health issues that are difficult to treat. While there's no excuse for his behavior, citing the 'highs' doesn't defend the 'lows'. I always loved to see Ryan when he was doing well. Unfortunately, like most narcissists, he doubles down when things get shitty. 

I'll keep hoping he gets better and owns up to his bullshit. But having been burned by people like him in my own life, I have very little confidence he'll ever get better. And I honestly feel horrible for him for it. 

Edited by dreamover

I used to love Ryan’s music, and still do in a way, it’s just harder to separate his art from him when most of his art is him begging for sympathy. I think that’s my problem with the new album. “I’m Sorry And I Love You” would be a textbook Ryan song that isn’t half bad but after everything that surfaced, it’s impossible to take a song with lyrics like that seriously. Even if everything in “Birmingham” about Isbell is true, I don’t think it’s really the time to be casting blame on others who had entirely different mental struggles. He’ll never garner anywhere near the support he had before but I think a lot of people, me included, would be willing to listen with more of an open mind if he had put out a clear, sincere apology and actually owned up to the shit he’s done. 

To me this is an attempt to just gain more sympathy. To release an album without making a statement on everything that’s happened regarding him over the last few years seems like he’s just trying to sweep it under the rug.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, Vega said:

Mhh I was really looking forward to Big Colors, I don't know what it is with Ryan and cats though, liked the old cover much better...the new song is okay, will wait for more before I preorder though

Well, being a Cat Dad in my past, I get it. There are also some parallels with cat people being record collectors. I had to put plexi glass in front of my Expedits 😸

But anyhow, I am also looking forward to “Big Colors,” and actually prefer this cover!

I just wish Ryan’s store gave me the option of just keeping my $40, and then my splatter wax just showing up one day. I never asked for a refund. 😉

Edited by Plarocks

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...