Ryam Adams - PAX AM Records

3 hours ago, jerseypride said:

Has anyone else been paying attention to DRA's social media activity of late? Bunch of phony meditations about gratitude with plenty of "God bless y'alls" thrown in for good measure. So much for his promise to "soon" provide his side of the misconduct allegations.

Are there really people who can't see how fake this all is? I guess the answer is yes given the amount of fanboys and gals who instantly shower these posts with "likes." Pathetic.

I haven't been but I'm curious, why are you? Sounds like you're not much of a fan. 

32 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

I haven't been but I'm curious, why are you? Sounds like you're not much of a fan. 

I am a big fan of his music. But that doesn't prevent me from being very troubled by his actions. Is that seriously hard to make sense of?

Edited by jerseypride

8 minutes ago, jerseypride said:

I am a big fan of his music. But that doesn't prevent me from being very troubled by his actions. Is that seriously hard to make sense of?

It's not. I was just curious and you provided an answer. I don't know why you would think I couldn't understand that.

Edit: Actually, no. That doesn't make sense. You're a fan of his music. What does that have to do with checking his social media?

Edited by deftbarley

10 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

It's not. I was just curious and you provided an answer. I don't know why you would think I couldn't understand that.

Edit: Actually, no. That doesn't make sense. You're a fan of his music. What does that have to do with checking his social media?

To the extent your question is genuine, I follow musicians on social media to get updates on their musical projects.  That is what being a fan of his music has to do with checking his social media.

I think there are many of us who are or who have been big fans of him for a very long time. I believe everything from the article, and was disappointed to hear about all of the allegations against him. I haven't listened to his music since.  But that doesn't mean he is absolutely beyond redemption. I don't think I will be able to consider him in the same way again, but my hope is he can start an actual journey of self-discovery and understand that he hurt these women, and why that is a problem.   I think about the singer of Pinegrove - he admitted and acknowledged everything he was accused of without laying any guilt or blame on the person accusing, and through a mediator, developed a way in which they could move forward.  Was it perfect? No, but it is still far more than DRA has done, which is nothing.   

I am still a big fan of his music, but I don't know that I will be listening to it until he at least owns up to his actions, and has honest discussions about them. Because otherwise this cycle is just going to repeat itself.

1 hour ago, jerseypride said:

To the extent your question is genuine, I follow musicians on social media to get updates on their musical projects.  That is what being a fan of his music has to do with checking his social media.

It is genuine.  I'm a fan of the music he's released in the past and connected to when I was younger. I've never been a fan of him personally which is what I think social media is for. I'm genuinely  fascinated by the lines of fandom and art. I will make a decision to listen or not listen when (if ever) there's a release. I'm sure I'll hear about it when it happens even though I can't imagine listening to any new release knowing what I know now. There won't be any connection made. That's my perspective. Was curious of yours.

Edited by deftbarley

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 9:01 AM, jerseypride said:

Has anyone else been paying attention to DRA's social media activity of late? Bunch of phony meditations about gratitude with plenty of "God bless y'alls" thrown in for good measure. So much for his promise to "soon" provide his side of the misconduct allegations.

Are there really people who can't see how fake this all is? I guess the answer is yes given the amount of fanboys and gals who instantly shower these posts with "likes." Pathetic.

I’m still a fan of his music, but I agree, he’s full of shit lol 

• 11 months later...
18 minutes ago, jerseypride said:

Hell fucking yes. Finally. Would be great to get Colors at some point as well!

Honestly, this guy turned his “apology” into some sort of self-obsessed means of turning this into a redemption story.

All that to say that, after years of abuse toward the women in his life, I’m surprised fans haven’t seen that they’re also victims of his awful manipulation and they STILL show up for it. Dude threatened to cancel tours if people didn’t sell out his shows, forbade everyone to go to the restroom at a show I attended (or else he’d quit playing), and is generally a fucking crybaby like ALL the fucking time.

I really wanted him to come out of this. I really wanted to see him make some right steps toward trying to right the ever-growing list of accusations thrown at him. But he didn’t. He made it about himself, further victimizing the women that he abused for so long. 

25 minutes ago, jonnywreck said:

I really wanted him to come out of this. I really wanted to see him make some right steps toward trying to right the ever-growing list of accusations thrown at him. But he didn’t. He made it about himself, further victimizing the women that he abused for so long. 

Yep, right on. He went silent, waiting for things to blow over, made a few vague "reflection" social media posts, and now I guess thinks it's safe to come out of hiding. Absolutely not one word about the victims or their pain (other than his own). 

If there were efforts made toward reconciliation and healing in private, great. But the lack of public acknowledgement or truth has been despicable.  His victims were brave in coming forward to tell their stories and invited a dialog. He chose to be a self-righteous coward. No thanks. 

1 hour ago, jonnywreck said:

Honestly, this guy turned his “apology” into some sort of self-obsessed means of turning this into a redemption story.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Replay
Unmute

Current Time 0:19
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:00

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

All that to say that, after years of abuse toward the women in his life, I’m surprised fans haven’t seen that they’re also victims of his awful manipulation and they STILL show up for it. Dude threatened to cancel tours if people didn’t sell out his shows, forbade everyone to go to the restroom at a show I attended (or else he’d quit playing), and is generally a fucking crybaby like ALL the fucking time.

yeah, but his music is good

40 minutes ago, Tommy said:

yeah, but his music is good

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm buuuut for anyone who still supports him... 

So using his mid-tier indie rock star status and the modicum of power that comes with it to manipulate and coerce young singer songwriters into fucking him for record contracts is excusable?

again, fuck this guy and fuck people who can excuse this behavior. I hope phoebe bridgers cuts his balls off one day.

Also, he was never that good to begin with. It says something when your career highlight is a Taylor swift cover album. 

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

He'll HAVE to do press for this. Only then will we see how contrite he really is. He isn't disciplined enough to stay on message. 

If he's ever in a position to play live again, how he handles the heckling will be very interesting. I do not expect that to go well.

Interestingly, I think Adams's personality has a lot in common with Trump's: bottomless narcissism, inability to deal with the slightest of of criticism (despite readily dishing it out to others), complete lack of empathy,  tendency to see people as objects for him to use and then discard when they no longer serve his purpose(s), pathological lying, loyalty only to himself, and the belief that his victims are really the bad actors and he is really the victim. 

I've not listened to his music since the NY Times piece. I was holding out some hope that he would at least attempt some genuine acts of redemption. At this stage, I just don't see that ever happening (emphasis on the genuine). Why am I still posting on this thread? Still trying to figure that out myself. 

Edited by jerseypride

59 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm buuuut for anyone who still supports him... 

So using his mid-tier indie rock star status and the modicum of power that comes with it to manipulate and coerce young singer songwriters into fucking him for record contracts is excusable?

again, fuck this guy and fuck people who can excuse this behavior. I hope phoebe bridgers cuts his balls off one day.

Also, he was never that good to begin with. It says something when your career highlight is a Taylor swift cover album. 

Hey, woke master 2000 has entered the chat. I propose that everyone who likes his music gets their ears cut off and sent to a gulag.

Poor phoebe bridgers for going along with Ryan Adams's bad behavior...I bet he forced her to fuck him. Wait...he did by telling her he would help her with her career? Poor phoebe for having absolutely NO choice but to say "yes" to that one. Just say "fuck you" and leave him? Naahh, a career is waiting around the corner! She can still blame him afterwards, maybe even write a song about it! Oh, wait.

Is Ryan an honorable person after what he did? No, quite the contrary. And nor are the people who went along with it. If you don't agree with that you are a hypocrite, nothing more. People like phoebe bridgers showed him directly by going along that he can get what he wants, only that she also got what she wanted - a career start.

Now, if don't want to talk about his music or the new album you can get the fuck out of here and get back onto twitter to express your wokeness.

20 minutes ago, Vega said:

Hey, woke master 2000 has entered the chat. I propose that everyone who likes his music gets their ears cut off and sent to a gulag.

Poor phoebe bridgers for going along with Ryan Adams's bad behavior...I bet he forced her to fuck him. Wait...he did by telling her he would help her with her career? Poor phoebe for having absolutely NO choice but to say "yes" to that one. Just say "fuck you" and leave him? Naahh, a career is waiting around the corner! She can still blame him afterwards, maybe even write a song about it! Oh, wait.

Is Ryan an honorable person after what he did? No, quite the contrary. And nor are the people who went along with it. If you don't agree with that you are a hypocrite, nothing more. People like phoebe bridgers showed him directly by going along that he can get what he wants, only that she also got what she wanted - a career start.

Now, if don't want to talk about his music or the new album you can get the fuck out of here and get back onto twitter to express your wokeness.

Lmao, I got about 3 sentences in before I gave up.

go back to 4chan you fuckin mouth breathing victim blaming predator apologist. 

edit to say I read the entire thing and wow, what a predictably scummy take. 

fuck Ryan adams, fuck his new music, fuck his old music, fuck you too.

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

58 minutes ago, Vega said:

counterpoint: eat shit.