Hail to the Theif Captiol vs. Parlaphone

I just got a Parlophone copy of HTTT. It's got the deadwax info listed on Discogs for the original EU/UK press ("le chien", "le loup" hand etched, etc), but the cover has the black sticker with the band name & title on it. I think I have an original pressing, but this cover sticker business has me wondering. Any thoughts?

my copy is the same. got it off ebay in like... 2005?.

My friend has a ridiculously expensive tube amp/receiver setup with a $2000 record player at his place (he and his father are adult children with way too much $$$) I don't remember the brands but I know the amp was like a piece of fine art & I was nervous getting too close to it.

He bought all of the Capitol "From the Vault" Radiohead vinyl, so we decided to do some comparisons. My new HTTF "le chien" that I recently mentioned versus his Capitol Vault series were both very good, but more dynamic range & general warmth from the Parlophone. Also a bit quieter overall. Capitol was still pretty decent. OK Computer, Kid A & especially Amnesiac all sounded like dogshit on Capitol against my Parlophones.

We both have the In Rainbows discbox & KoL newspaper and those probably sounded the best of everything, aside from Parlophone Amnesiac. "Feral" especially on the clear vinyl was beyond spooky & great. We went back & did that song 3 times in a row because it was so incredible.

I know I'm not breaking any new news with that, just thought I'd report. I'm very happy with my decision to seek out the old Parlophones. HTTF was the only one I've paid more than $30 for (bought Ok Computer at Amoeba Berkeley in 1999 or 2000)

My friend has a ridiculously expensive tube amp/receiver setup with a $2000 record player at his place (he and his father are adult children with way too much $$$) I don't remember the brands but I know the amp was like a piece of fine art & I was nervous getting too close to it.

He bought all of the Capitol "From the Vault" Radiohead vinyl, so we decided to do some comparisons. My new HTTF "le chien" that I recently mentioned versus his Capitol Vault series were both very good, but more dynamic range & general warmth from the Parlophone. Also a bit quieter overall. Capitol was still pretty decent. OK Computer, Kid A & especially Amnesiac all sounded like dogshit on Capitol against my Parlophones.

We both have the In Rainbows discbox & KoL newspaper and those probably sounded the best of everything, aside from Parlophone Amnesiac. "Feral" especially on the clear vinyl was beyond spooky & great. We went back & did that song 3 times in a row because it was so incredible.

I know I'm not breaking any new news with that, just thought I'd report. I'm very happy with my decision to seek out the old Parlophones. HTTF was the only one I've paid more than $30 for (bought Ok Computer at Amoeba Berkeley in 1999 or 2000)

Thanks for the info.  Great read.

I disagree with the fact capitol Kid A sounds like shit, my copy sounds terrific. So to summarize is Hail to ththe Thief and the Bends on the same level as Kid A?

I said the Kid A sounded like shit compared back to back with the Parlophone. The Capitol was certainly passable, I didn't mean to infer that it was unlistenable. Not sure about The Bends, we didn't test that. I'm actually very curious about the differences with that one too.

It's like he picks four random words out of an entire thread, reads only those four words
It's like he picks four random words out of an entire thread, reads only those four words, then responds with misinformed nonsense.

Oh here we go lets try to instigate a fight with idioteque and get this thread locked. Man some of you are dumbasses.

I said the Kid A sounded like shit compared back to back with the Parlophone. The Capitol was certainly passable, I didn't mean to infer that it was unlistenable. Not sure about The Bends, we didn't test that. I'm actually very curious about the differences with that one too.

From my perception I think Kid A sounds extremely awesome and I believe the general consensus from sites like Discogs is that its not that much different from Parlophone. Maybe it was a defective pressing or it improved as time went by? Hopefully someone can clear the dust up on The Bends.

It's very simple Capitol can only cut digital with the equipment they have, so anything with a mastered by capitol sticker will at least have one step in the process digitally. From my understanding the Parlophone counterparts are cut in analog at least with OKC I know that to be a fact, with their other albums I'm not 100% sure but I would guess that to be the main difference and possibly what some people are hearing

Ok, here's a breakdown of what I got...

PpbbpSU.jpg

I ordered from the main Amazon.co.uk selling page HERE

This is an album of the major identifying features of the labels, sleeves and the jacket. HERE.

The runout info is below.

Matrix / Runout (A Side): MPO 855229-1 2A

Matrix / Runout (B Side): MPO 855229-1 2B

Matrix / Runout (C Side): MPO 855229-1 2C

Matrix / Runout (D Side): MPO 855229-1 2D

* All hand-etched. Not stamped. No other words or markings.

From what I can tell, there are no current Discogs listings that match this perfectly.

This one's runouts are most similar to a 2015 EU Parlo press HERE.

They are not exactly the same though (ex. MPO 855229-1 2A vs. MPO 855229-1 A)

Other features that appear to vary enough for ID purposes are the specific wording on the vinyl labels. Yes, it may say Parlo... but there's several variations on that as well it seems. 

Barcode wording:

Manufactured and distributed by Parlophone (mine) vs. Manufactured and distributed by EMI 

​Am I blatantly missing the correct Discogs listing? Or am I correct that this combo of runouts, label, sleeve and jacket features is new to the database?

Curious to hear your thoughts...

Like I said on the previous page - I think the Parlophone OK Computer is sold out, and it probably is 100%. I think I saw it being mentioned in a Steve Hoffman forum; also I havent seen it being stocked in a local record store for a while now.

That said, I listened to my copy couple of days ago and it didnt sound THAT good, just average. I listened to the Music Matters Blue Note vinyl re-issues before (all AAA) and there really isnt any comparison after that.

I picked up the In Rainbows box a few weeks ago and will finally give it a spin this weekend, can't wait. And your comment about Feral sorta sold the newspaper edition to me. I was on the fence about spending the extra money for that version but it sounds worth it.

It's been mentioned in previous pages here.  But the copy of OK Computer I have (ordered form B&N last year) says Capitol on the sleeve but the discs inside have the Parlophone logo and match the markings for the Parlophone pressing.  It did not have a "From the Capitol Vault" sticker on it or anything like that.  

It's been mentioned in previous pages here.  But the copy of OK Computer I have (ordered form B&N last year) says Capitol on the sleeve but the discs inside have the Parlophone logo and match the markings for the Parlophone pressing.  It did not have a "From the Capitol Vault" sticker on it or anything like that.

The same thing happened to me with the Bends. Bought it at B&N and had a Capitol sleeve with a Parlophone disc.

We've confirmed it so many times in this thread it's ridiculous. I even bought one and posted the results. If it is indeed sold out now it's your own fault.

Yes, understood, but regarding what Eric said on the last page about the pressing he got from amazon.co.uk, there is no discos listing that matches, so I was hoping to get clarification about that one before pulling the trigger.