(PO Now) mewithoutYou - Pale Horses

RFC132-600.jpg

It’s impossible to imagine modern underground music without mewithoutYou: the influence of their fifteen-year legacy has been nothing less than seismic. Pale Horses, mewithoutYou’s sixth album, continues their unwavering artistic vision, while at the same time reinvents the band as uniquely as any of their fans would expect it to. Aaron Weiss has again produced a work of genius with his nonpareil poetic voice, rivaled only by the soundtrack the rest of his band has forced him to compete against through these eleven songs. The end result is a beautiful fusion not unlike the music found on the band’s most revered releases. The guitar work is precise: delicately soft and tender during lulling moments like the opener “Pale Horse” and fiercely riff-centric on the Brother, Sister reminiscent “Mexican War Streets.” Complementing it is the constant combination of the catchiest bass lines you’ve ever heard and tasteful, steady drum grooves that harken back to Catch For Us The Foxes, the band’s revered second album. Epic in scope, Pale Horses is an emotional journey as captivating as any of their classic releases - referential to the best parts of their catalog with a distinguished vitality, captured in the band’s signature hauntingly iconic way.

Tracklist:

1. Pale Horse

2. Watermelon Ascot

3. D-Minor

4. Mexican War Streets

5. Red Crow

6. Dorothy

7. Blue Hen

8. Lilac Queen

9. Magic Lantern Days

10. Birnam Wood

11. Rainbow Signs

PO starts 5/4.

I don't mean this as a duck statement, but is this band still relevant?

I remember when their first LP came out and thinking it was alright. I knew they got big for awhile in certain scene but guess I haven't kept up with that stuff in like 10 years.

I understand what you mean by this... I've had similar experiences with other bands.  That said, I'd really encourage you to check out their entire catalog.  I do believe they are STILL making really unique and important music. 

How do you gauge relevance? Record sales? Their live draw? If so, then yes!

Just meant writing relevant music. There are bands still putting out stuff and the vast majority of people stopped caring a long time ago. Example - Metallica.

I'm out of the loop on this band and really didn't realize they were still writing music. But obviously it seems this band doesn't fall into the Metallica category.

I guess I need to go back and listen to some of their stuff after the first album.

Anyway. Was just curious. Hope the best for you guys and them!

Just meant writing relevant music.

I'm out of the loop on this band and really didn't realize they were still writing music. But obviously it seems this band doesn't fall into the Metallica category.

I guess I need to go back and listen to some of their stuff after the first album.

I think so. Check out their last LP Ten Stories, its probably my favorite besides the forthcoming one. It was self released, so maybe went under a few people's radars, but also did very well.